Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greyhound bins: new monthly versus annual charge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Companies seem to be using these door to door representatives to evade all their usual responsibilities... nothing is recorded, nothing is written down... if any rep comes to the door, ask them to put what they've said in writing or supply a leaflet from the company stating same. It's amazing how many times that simple request sends them flying.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Companies seem to be using these door to door representatives to evade all their usual responsibilities... nothing is recorded, nothing is written down... if any rep comes to the door, ask them to put what they've said in writing or supply a leaflet from the company stating same. It's amazing how many times that simple request sends them flying.

Got an email with pdf outing the new situation from the 1st of July next from Oxigen (I'm in Waterford) stating that if you present your bin for collection that is taken as entering into a contract:rolleyes: It was well hidden in their t & c's. Jesus they would try anything on in the hope of getting away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Delta2113

If you don't present your bin (few months) they keep sending you e-mails as if your still in contract -funny that.

I have not put a bin out since 2015 for Greyhound and have not paid for this year - still have the 3 bins outside in the garden and no letter asking for me to come back or for them to collect the bins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭vickers209

Any more prices released from other companys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Thorntons have, they are cheaper than Greyhound,

Service Charge €2 per week
    Black Bin: 35c per KG
    Brown Bin: 20c per KG
    Green Bin: Free

Does anyone know if Greyhound change for collecting old bins and how much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

nava wrote: »

I dont see an equivalent pricing on the Greyhound website. Have they not published their pricing yet?

degsie wrote: »
    I dont see an equivalent pricing on the Greyhound website. Have they not published their pricing yet?

They are sending emails out, so far I haven't received anything, someone received them, the prices they got are here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Saw a letter today

Weekly collection fee €3.25
    Black bin €.35/kg
    Brown bin €.25/kg
    Green bin Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

No, they don't charge. Takes about three weeks for them to collect them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Saw a letter today

Weekly collection fee €3.25
    Black bin €.35/kg
    Brown bin €.25/kg
    Green bin Free

Sweet jesus, i'd be screwed at that rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

dodzy wrote: »

I'm nearly sure 30 cent per kg is the cheapest of all that have published their prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

dodzy wrote: »

oh, we're all going to take this rod up the backside , thats for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

I have emailed all the Politicians (national/local) in my Dublin Bay South Constituency.

FF have said they'll ask the Minister about waivers for families etc!
    Labour have said my numbers couldn't be right (my bill to jump from 200e to 600e). So I sent them my calculations and nothing since. I laid into them in particular as this is Alan kelly's baby.
    Nada from FG x 2 TDs
    Some Independent Councillors have said they'll raise this with Coveney!
    I didn't email SF/PbP etc

I don't expect anything from them to be honest but if enough people start making noise about this in the coming weeks, it might finally get some media attention and kick some Politician into doing something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You should try countryclean here:

The proposed new legislation requires that companies introduce the pay by weight system from 1 July 2016. Any customer who has paid their account further out, a credit will be applied to their account for the period after 1 July. This credit will be used against the pay by weight charges. The pay by weight rates have yet to set but this information will be available on our website in early July.

So we won't know how much it will cost until it has started..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Just cancelled Greyhound. €3.25 per week service charge. Cant believe they are getting away with such an increase.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I use Thorntons, and they are good, but that's about a 100% increase on their standing charge. Quite annoying if you don't put your bin out for collection very often.

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    I use Thorntons, and they are good, but that's about a 100% increase on their standing charge. Quite annoying if you don't put your bin out for collection very often.

True
    A neighbour of mine only uses her green and brown bin. Once a month.
    2.99 per week regardless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

on a side point, i wish the media would not use colours of bins in their reports. My blue bin is recycling but my neighbours purple bin is recycling. His green bin is for general waste, my red bin is glass. My brown bin is compost

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Nortcider

Just did an analysis of old vs new charges based on our usage for the last 12 months. We had 8 general waste and 9 green waste collections (we already recycle) for a cost of €211. Under the new charges that will come to €277. This is with Greyhound. City Bin works out at €227. Guess where I'm going?

I friend email Thorntons, they charge the prices shown my other post plus €40.00 registration fee when you sign up this is to open your account with to chip label & deliver your bins with the Welcome pack.

The other provider in my area is Advanced waste, but they still preparing the prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Greyhound were around my road again today.... I just missed them, but got a flyer in the door.....

"Our offer to you is:

Per Month/Year - "free" handwritten in the space
    KG Black Bin - left blank
    KG Brown Bin - left blank
    KG Green Bin - left blank

Hmmmm.

I'm assuming this is just a ruse to get you to ring them and get a real, much more expensive, offer?

Anyone know which company (serving Dublin 8) has the lowest standing charge? I put out a black bag maybe once every 2 or 3 months, so the weekly charge is a total swizz for me.

I also absolutely hate the idea of three bins cluttering up my tiny front space, or else dragging them through the (terraced) house.... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Greyhound were around my road again today.... I just missed them, but got a flyer in the door.....

"Our offer to you is:

Per Month/Year - "free" handwritten in the space
    KG Black Bin - left blank
    KG Brown Bin - left blank
    KG Green Bin - left blank

Hmmmm.

I'm assuming this is just a ruse to get you to ring them and get a real, much more expensive, offer?

Anyone know which company (serving Dublin 8) has the lowest standing charge? I put out a black bag maybe once every 2 or 3 months, so the weekly charge is a total swizz for me.

I also absolutely hate the idea of three bins cluttering up my tiny front space, or else dragging them through the (terraced) house.... :mad:

Have you checked if your street is exempt from the bins?
    The list is up on the DCC website.

IS it only Greyhound and Citybin covering Cabra?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Think I'll ask for a price match so.
    Otherwise it's back to Thornton I go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The_N4sir wrote: »
    Have you checked if your street is exempt from the bins?
    The list is up on the DCC website.
    Nope, not on there.

I did enquire about getting an exemption, but half the street have signed up for bins already, so I think it's too late, seems to have to be done on a street rather than a household level.

I have no objection (within reason!) to paying bin charges - it's just mostly the bloody bins I object to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

If people were upset about water charges, wait till everyone cops on to the rise in bin charges!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭van_beano

If people were upset about water charges, wait till everyone cops on to the rise in bin charges!

Absolutely, I was saying that myself on this thread last week. Put my 70kg bin out today, first time in 4 weeks, normal €9.90 lift with Thorntons but due to nappies there's excess weight charge of about 30kg over costing €6, so a €15.90 cost to me. After July 1st, that exact same bin is going to cost me €26.50 to put out (€2 service charge plus 70kg by 35 cents).

I'm looking forward to the next month or two from now when the proverbial penny drops with a lot of people because, at the month, people who have realised what these costs will mean are few and far between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I'm sick of this shower of idiots. Their customer support is terrible.

They keep promising to pick up an old bin left by previous tenants but never show up for it.

A few weeks ago they didn't bother taking my green bin. I emailed and called and was again promised several times they would come for it but never did. Idiots.

I've received nothing from them about new rates but I availed of the option of paying €60 up front with the option of €9 per black bin and €3.60 on the brown with green free. I assume I will be hit by any changes as well? If I choose to go elsewhere do I just lose the €60 - that hardly seems fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Just calculated my bin charges based on the new prices (heavy black bins!)
    Cheapest to dearest (for me anyhow)

1. City bin
    2. Thornton (close second)
    3. Greyhound (about €70 dearer than 1.)

I didn't include any sign up fees.

I'm currently with Greyhound previously with Thorntons.
    Now it looks like I'm moving to City Bin.

Will be paying about €180 extra this coming year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

A Politician who is chasing this up on my behalf got the following response from Greyhound on their new charges and my assertion that my bill would rise by close to 200%
    Our rates are based on customer research and insights we gained from our annual Recycling Champion competition.
    First of all, I would stress that Greyhound expects the move to be revenue neutral - we will lose some income - but we will also save on disposal costs.
    Most people will save money under the new regime ( almost 90% according to the Department) but only if they recycle. A small minority of heavy black bin users will pay more.
    We also base our numbers on the basis that 70% of waste currently presented in black bins by households (EPA stats) can be diverted to green and brown. Accordingly, we have offered the green bin free of charge.
    The legislation is all about encouraging recycling.
    This is a complete change for both the consumer and the waste operators. We are trying to predict future consumer behaviour and will constantly monitor and review from July 1.
    Revenue neutral!!! They're taking the mick.
    But sure, how'll we know what their accounts are saying as they are safely hidden away in the Isle of Man

100% of waste in my black bin belongs there. I recycle everything that can be recycled.
    Who are these people who throw everything into the black bin and can't be bothered to recycle...according to Greyhound, the vast majority of people aren't recycling!!!

Advertisement