Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ultimate Fighter: Team McGregor v Team Faber Finale - Edgar v Mendes

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

JustTheOne wrote: »
    His bjj is brilliant to watch but he wasted a lot of time doing nothing. Suppose that's what wins it but definitely a boring fight to end a great series.

Its not doing nothing if you are controlling your opponent and nullifying their game plan and attack. He did exactly what he needed to do and with minimal effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Mendes via Submission
    Axwell wrote: »
    Not sure why all the hating on the fight, Hall controlled it from start to finish and used his BJJ effectively. Artem had nothing to counter it and never got his rhythm going.

He deserved to win, extremely dominant. But what a boring fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Hall pretty much fought the perfect fight for that fight. Artem seemed too aware of his submission skills, perhaps from the month training together. If they were strangers Artem might have taken more risks. As it was, he just tried to survive the 3 rounds, but never threatened Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Mendes via Decision
    Dana not a happy camper at all, it killed him to congratulate Hall lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Think Artem will definitely get another run. Dana knows that and he could be really impresive agaisnt another striker but hey, that's MMA. Hall deserved it and did everything right. He just admitted that him Artem could kill him with one blow... Poor match up bit Hall did everything right to win!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Amazingfun wrote: »
    I guess that's the bummer factor, had been hoping so badly that SBG had come up with a plan for this, we all knew Hall was going to be a big problem for Artem.

The plan would have been to connect with Halls chin because if Artem did he would have rocked Hall no problem and it could have been a different fight, but Artem was very poor and one dimensional when it came to his own game plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Its not doing nothing if you are controlling your opponent and nullifying their game plan and attack. He did exactly what he needed to do and with minimal effort.

That's not true.

You can't sit on an opponent doing nothing just making sure they cant throw punches. You will be asked to keep busy or its back up.

I'm not saying he didn't deserve it but he was happy to sit on artems back doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,232 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Well that was ****.

Herb should have broke them up with the minute to go. Ryan was happy there doing nothing.

Ryan was in the dominant position and landing some strikes. Artem was stuck.

That's not true.

You can't sit on an opponent doing nothing just making sure they cant throw punches. You will be asked to keep busy or its back up.

I'm not saying he didn't deserve it but he was happy to sit on artems back doing nothing.

What exactly did Artem do to try get out of it? Hall isnt going to waste energy when he doesnt have to. When the ref said do something he threw punches, he had his legs locked around Artems waist and was controlling his opponent. Artem had no answer, simple as that.

Mendes via Decision
    So what do we all think, Edgar or Mendes?

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Ryan was in the dominant position and landing some strikes. Artem was stuck.

Fair enough I'm not gonna argue all night. Onto Mendes and Frankie.

There's that 2 week camp again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Mendes via Submission
    The plan would have been to connect with Halls chin because if Artem did he would have rocked Hall no problem and it could have been a different fight, but Artem was very poor and one dimensional when it came to his own game plan.

Genuine question: why do you think that was? He was just too nervous or froze in front of the crowd? He looked so calm and cool before it started, but maybe I read him wrong. Just so shocked by his performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mendes via Submission
    shocksy wrote: »
    So what do we all think, Edgar or Mendes?

Chad, big over hand right in the 3rd.

But I don't believe it enough to back it. Too close to call to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Surprised Dean didn't separate them in the final round. Hall had position but he wasn't doing anything there. If just to give the fight a chance for some fireworks..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Mendes via KO/TKO
    Ouch, Dana hating on BJJ:
    https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/675553021275738112

I think Artem is stronger at 155 to survive the submissions. Hall says himself that he's a natural 145er.

Mendes via Submission
    Genuine question: why do you think that was? He was just too nervous or froze in front of the crowd? He looked so calm and cool before it started, but maybe I read him wrong. Just so shocked by his performance.

He's just an extremely limited fighter. He's the definition of a one trick pony, besides the heavy hands there's not much there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

First post on this thread but been following it from beginning. Finale an argument that ultimate fighter concept is now dead on it's feet. Two sloths fell asleep during the three rounds.

As one of the lads said above they trained together in SBG lately and I would imagine he knew he was going to struggle to escape Halls submission attempts so he was holding out for the ref to separate them or a gap to escape and go back to standing up. Trying to escape was going to waste his energy and oxegen especially when Hall was locked around his waist. If he didnt know Hall so well he probably would have made an effort to escape more or be less worried about Hall launching into another heel hook and would try impose himself but thats one of the disadvantages of TUF in that they know each other pretty well at this stage and even more so training together. There's very little element of the unknown between them.

Mendes via Decision
    I'm gonna go with a Chad win, I think he can pull it off

Mendes via Submission
    Surprised Dean didn't separate them in the final round. Hall had position but he wasn't doing anything there. If just to give the fight a chance for some fireworks..

Ryan was told to work, he threw punches, it's not anyone's fault Artem couldn't do anything about it besides Artem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

That's not true.

He has full back mount, unless you're the worst ref in the world you aren't separating that especially since Hall did maintain a bit of activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,232 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ouch, Dana hating on BJJ:
    https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/675553021275738112

I think Artem is stronger at 155 to survive the submissions. Hall says himself that he's a natural 145er.

Artem is also a 145er
    Regardless, Survive leg locks and chokes has very very little to do with strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,750 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Mendes via KO/TKO
    WOW. Great KO from Frankie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Mendes via Submission
    OH MY GOD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Mendes via Decision
    Has to be said that was way more impressive then McGregor was against Chad.

Mendes via Submission
    Jesus christ, Frankie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Mendes via KO/TKO
    Frankie has never been Knocked out. Chad has been knocked out and TKOed by McGregor.

It could play a factor if it wasn't for the fact that Frankie isn't a KO artist. Wouldn't rule it out though, his chin isn't going become amazing suddenly!

Ahem...

Once the chin goes it goes. Lovely from Frankie!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Wham, bam, thank you ma'am.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Mendes via Submission
    theres your answer! did not see that coming

• Advertisement

Has to be said that was way more impressive then McGregor was against Chad.

What's your point exactly?

Advertisement