Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westmoreland St

Options
  • 10-12-2015 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭

Is it just me or is this a very dark street at nighttime? Not sure if it is because the street lights are really poor or because most of the buildings aren't lit up at night time. But driving down it often feels like you're in the pitch dark, makes it really hard to see pedestrians doing a runner across it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Is it just me or is this a very dark street at nighttime? Not sure if it is because the street lights are really poor or because most of the buildings aren't lit up at night time. But driving down it often feels like you're in the pitch dark, makes it really hard to see pedestrians doing a runner across it.

take off your shades you looney

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Of all streets, I wouldn't have classified this one as dark. The west side is teeming with people, well lit shops and general activity throughout the night., the East side not so much. The current Luas works may have meant some street lights are currently out of action maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

It is dark. There are a handful of streetlights but they're either growing in the middle of trees or they're ancient sodium things attached to buildings so they're poor at lighting up the footpath and don't reach the road at all.

The only well lit part of that street is where the shops fit properlights to their buildings.

D'olier st and College green are exactly the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

D'Olier St yes, Westmoreland St, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

It's a very wide street, so it does appear dark in the evening / night, as the older streetlights don't spread the light around well.
    Aren't there trees also probably blocking some of the light?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

was down it again a while ago and yeah it seems to be the trees blocking most light. And maybe some got knocked out by the luas works. The footpaths aren't too bad but driving down the middle of it can be pretty dark and tricky to see pedestrians

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Op, are you making this into an unnescessary journey? Particularly on a treacherous road.

myshirt wrote: »
    Op, are you making this into an unnescessary journey? Particularly on a treacherous road.

You're right, I think I am. I promise not to swim in the sea or to ever leave the house again, its treacherous out there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

It is fairly dark because of the tree's, once Luas Cross CIty is open I expect a improvement in lighting as Luas power their own stations should it should help.

I had a look at it when out in town last night and there are actually no street lights anywhere on the entire street. There is one on the island with the closed public toilet opposite Bank of Ireland. Apart from that though right the way down to O'Connell bridge there are actually no street lights whatsoever which explains why it is so dark. Some buildings like the Westin hotel are well lit up and help somewhat but most of the rest of the street is in relative darkness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yes its dark.

I used to work on the door of The Bridge bar/O'Sullivans and it was remarked upon all the time how dark the street was.

Advertisement