Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working away

Options
  • 10-12-2015 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Been working away on and off for a few years now .... Every day online I check rte , Irish times and Irish independent ... It seems that if you're from Dublin , cork, Limerick ..... Times are good again. Is anything happening employment wise at home ?? . Are we still the "forgotten taken for granted county" ? .... Waterford politicians ... I want to come home !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Scaldy Ned wrote: »
    Been working away on and off for a few years now .... Every day online I check rte , Irish times and Irish independent ... It seems that if you're from Dublin , cork, Limerick ..... Times are good again. Is anything happening employment wise at home ?? . Are we still the "forgotten taken for granted county" ? .... Waterford politicians ... I want to come home !!!

Wow, déjà vu....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Didn't know you were working away ya haven't mentioned it before!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Contact the politicians then!!! Bitchin on boards wont get you a job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

When Waterford gets a university they should offer a degree in "How to set up a business and work for yourself without moaning about the lack of jobs". The town will then be saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Contact the politicians then!!! Bitchin on boards wont get you a job.

and what will the politicians do???

Personally go on to the numerous job websites and start applying... and if nothing for you, consider re training your skills to something employers need in waterford..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

robtri wrote: »
    and what will the politicians do???

Personally go on to the numerous job websites and start applying... and if nothing for you, consider re training your skills to something employers need in waterford..

Scaldy ned is blaming the politicians, so don't blame them if your not going to give them an opportunity to explain why they are useless!

I hear a lot of people giving out about not having jobs in there chosen careers, should jobs be created to suit the few or the many?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

I hear a lot of people giving out about not having jobs in there chosen careers, should jobs be created to suit the few or the many?
    Their chosen careers are based on misguided career advice in the schools. Too many people studying the wrong courses in college with zero jobs prospects. There were never plenty of well-paid jobs in Waterford anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Scaldy Ned

Wow, déjà vu....

Exactly .... De ja vu .. Waterford ...Ireland's oldest city , the county / city where the tri color was first flown at the mall .... The major city of the south. East .... But the laziest bunch of buggers ever... We're so taken for granted it's become. Unreal ..... A lazy bunch of politicians who will happily take what' they're entitled to and won't upset the apple cart .... If I was a Waterford politician I'd chain myself to the gates of Leinster house and kick the people of Ireland up the bolix to ensure that the country's oldest ciity is a huge part of the culture and should be supported ... Last election I voted for the politician who endorsed that view .... It seems that "the easy money" changed him ... I have no prob with politicians getting paid good money .... But will there ever be a Waterford politician that deserves it ???fwhen your away from home you look in objectively ..... And it's all Dublin , cork , limerick ..... Looks like I need to renew my uk NI number .... No jobs going to Waterford ... No wonder our hurlers don't feel entitled .... There's never been an entitlement leadership in Waterford . Ah well

Exactly .... De ja vu .. Waterford ...Ireland's oldest city , the county / city where the tri color was first flown at the mall .... The major city of the south. East .... But the laziest bunch of buggers ever... We're so taken for granted it's become. Unreal ..... A lazy bunch of politicians who will happily take what' they're entitled to and won't upset the apple cart .... If I was a Waterford politician I'd chain myself to the gates of Leinster house and kick the people of Ireland up the bolix to ensure that the country's oldest ciity is a huge part of the culture and should be supported ... Last election I voted for the politician who endorsed that view .... It seems that "the easy money" changed him ... I have no prob with politicians getting paid good money .... But will there ever be a Waterford politician that deserves it ???fwhen your away from home you look in objectively ..... And it's all Dublin , cork , limerick ..... Looks like I need to renew my uk NI number .... No jobs going to Waterford ... No wonder our hurlers don't feel entitled .... There's never been an entitlement leadership in Waterford . Ah well

No the déjà vu I was talking about was you on here late night / early morning, pissing and moaning after a few Hoffmans...

I love how it's always the politicians' fault with you, must be great to be able to pinpoint the root cause of all our woes so easily!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

"Are we still the "forgotten taken for granted county" ?

Yes.

Did you know the humble cream cracker came from Waterford? You could try and revive that.

• Advertisement

Apologies if I come across as "blaming the politicians" but then again .... Not . In Ireland if you've got a minister at the cabinet table jobs will go to your town .... If you don't believe this ..... You will someday. Fair enough if that's the way it is . My problem is that even our fg and Ff are on the "old family tradition" ride and they won't rock the gravy boat. Our so called "independents" have been seduced by the lure of "the promise" ... Naieve ... Take it from me ... I've been working in the uk for over a year and everyday I check the independent and times ... Waterford never gets a mention ... Ever...today the independent reports that drogheda deserves "city status" more than Waterford because they've got more people .... There ye go . To the guy who said I should do something about it ... I did ... I moved away from my family to get a job in another country ... Pity I'm not from Dublin , cork, Limerick or perhaps even Drogheda eh ??? Up the Deise ... Some of us will never sell out on you

What is it about us ? I love my city and county but I've realised over the years that Waterford is different to other counties. We hardly ever get a minister in government, we always seem to be the last to get a few jobs thrown our way . We have a huge love of hurling with great county teams but have only won two all Irelands Whttps://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_All-Ireland_Senior_Hurling_Championship_finals we are constantly overlooked and taken for granted by the politicians . We stand by and watch quietly as investment pours into little backwaters that have a junior minister .we sit back and hope after every election that this time it will be different . We seem to be the only people in Ireland that appreciate Waterford and all its beauty .... What's the elephant in the room that's working against us ??? Would appreciate answers from "non waterfordians" is there something that we refuse to see or acknowledge ?

Wow, another déjà vu...

So you're going to make this a weekly thing then??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Ned you seem to have some inferiority complex I'd look at that if I were you. I'm a Waterford man and I don't let this issues consume me the way they seem to do to you....the secret is I just get in with my life and make the best I can and yes I'm doing so in Waterford guess what....I ain't died yet. So that tells me Waterford ain't all that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

You say Waterford never gets a mention....but answer me this.

Where is all this talk of say Clare, Roscommon, Leitrim, Wexford, Carlow, Monaghan, etc...Al these exist in Ireland too. Yes we would like more investment but tbf there is counties worse off than us. The city is alive with Winterval come home and see it you will see a place full of life and trade. Is that not good to see? Let's focus on the good of Waterford let's sell that and not the constant feeling of entitlement some people have as its becoming boring now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Merging thread with http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057535038
    This is really the same stuff, it doesn't need a separate thread.

Scaldy Ned, please strop creating new threads about the same sort of issue. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Whatever the reason for your post SN it is interesting that a few of the usual suspects (with the exception of perhaps one) try to denigrate your posts. By usual suspects I mean the pro-government shills who are here to deflect attention from the the woeful neglect Waterford experiences at the hands of its government politicians. And maybe one more who is constitutionally incapable of posting here without belittling the place due to some pathological problem. Ironically more often then not when you look at the posting history you will see they most likely are from one of the Waterford's satellite counties i.e. the South East and probably utterly depend on Waterford for their well being (which sticks in their craw). In other words Irish parochialism where cutting off their nose to spite their face is seen as a virtue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

obezyana wrote: »
    You say Waterford never gets a mention....but answer me this.

Where is all this talk of say Clare, Roscommon, Leitrim, Wexford, Carlow, Monaghan, etc...Al these exist in Ireland too. Yes we would like more investment but tbf there is counties worse off than us. The city is alive with Winterval come home and see it you will see a place full of life and trade. Is that not good to see? Let's focus on the good of Waterford let's sell that and not the constant feeling of entitlement some people have as its becoming boring now.

The problem is not all counties are equal. Many counties are completely rural in nature and will not warrant investment for that reason other than the usual farming and tourism subsidies.And the five counties you mentioned but particularly Leitrim, Roscommon and Monaghan are prime examples. Waterford and perhaps five other counties are different for that reason because they have larger urban centers that are regional centers. The identification that this country has with counties behaviorally is a characteristic of developing countries which we are not. And the sooner we stop then the sooner we start behaving like a first world country.

Advertisement