Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 (64bit) Graphics problem...

Options
  • 11-12-2015 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭

Yesterday, I opened Photoshop and a message appeared about graphics. I ignored it and closed it. Nothing about the appearance on the screen had changed.

This morning, I turned on the computer and the icons on the desktop were both huge and soft-edged.

In Control Panel/Display/Screen Resolution, the setting is at 1024 x 768 (recommended). This is the lowest setting.

I think it should be 1920 x1200, which looks right when I put it there and click Apply.

1. How can I find out which graphics card I have in order to check if the up-to-date driver is installed?

2. What might have caused this sudden change in the appearance?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Sorted.

I used Belarc Advisor to find out the card I have and then downloaded the most recent driver from the maker's site.

D.

Oops!

Not sorted.

Graphics driver wouldn't install.

I had searched for the correct driver on the maker's site both manually (keying in system details) and automatically. I got the same result in both cases. So, that's the driver I downloaded and tried to install. But, it fails.

I just ran Belarc again. All is correct regarding the Graphics card.

But, for what it's worth, Belarc is telling me that I'm running Windows 8 64bit, not Windows 10 64bit. Why could this be?

Thanks.

D.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Just a possible, there may be a BIOS update for your machine in order to allow it to fully and correctly recognise W10. W10 has been making a shambles of updating some hardware drivers, you may have to do some chatting on line with Microsoft tech support about this, they may be able to get the right driver to update, but it could take some time.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Thank you, Sir. ;)

I decided to reboot just to see what would happen. It took an age - lots of Windows updates - but, the desktop reappeared looking perfect, thankfully.

I then ran Belarc again - still showing Windows 8.1 as my system, for some reason.

So, I decided I'd try the graphics driver installation again, hoping the Windows updates might help. And guess what, it installed.......

Happy days. :p

Thanks.

D.

Advertisement