Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whitechurch area (Rathfarnham).

• 11-12-2015 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

I am looking at moving to the Whitechurch area (Rathfarnham). I have seen a number of Threads with varying descriptions of the area. A lot of these are quite old and refer to old issues.

It is a big estate, where I thinking of moving to is Whitechurch View - it is a cul de sac & seems very quite.

It is a 3 bed house for €1650 per month - is this average rent for this area ? I work in Stephens Green and start at 9am - how long would it take me to get in by bus?
    Many thanks for you assistance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

I am down the road in nut grove, rent is similar. Heard that these areas were a bit ropey in the past and indeed you see a few (literally a few) heads about, however, as a man who hung around in Finglas back in the day when that was a lot rougher than it is now, the heads around here are not a patch on what I encountered, of course you will always get the odd teenager being the big man but such is life, I walk around in complete comfort :) . I don't do the bus as I am a Southsider now so I have no advice there. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭harry999

Thanks - anybody else know this area ?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭williestroker1

Not the nicest area of Rathfarnham. Will eventually settle down but atm I'd avoid it if possible. Bus service isn't great. I think it's the 61. I don't know how long it would take to get into town but the 16 can take an hour from Rathfarnham village to O'Connell st some mornings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭khamilto

You'll be a long way from everything, in a not particularly nice neighbourhood and paying a lot of rent to do so.
    You would have to get the 7:30 bus, which means leaving your house by 7:15 at the latest.

You can walk for approx ~20minutes to get the 15B, however this will still take around 60-75minutes to get to the Stephen's Green area.

For the rent you are paying, you would be better off renting somewhere on a train line. The commute from Balbriggan to Stephen's Green (even including the walk from Pearse Station) would be the same, or shorter.

€1,650 is a lot to live in an unpleasant estate with a soul destroying commute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

khamilto wrote: »
    You'll be a long way from everything, in a not particularly nice neighbourhood and paying a lot of rent to do so.
    You would have to get the 7:30 bus, which means leaving your house by 7:15 at the latest.

You can walk for approx ~20minutes to get the 15B, however this will still take around 60-75minutes to get to the Stephen's Green area.

For the rent you are paying, you would be better off renting somewhere on a train line. The commute from Balbriggan to Stephen's Green (even including the walk from Pearse Station) would be the same, or shorter.

€1,650 is a lot to live in an unpleasant estate with a soul destroying commute.

Agree with the lack of anything nearby - and the commute options are pretty woeful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'll third that, you really wouldnt enjoy your life, and by the way that rent is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Orla875

Overall most of the houses in Whitechurch are private now and nice families live in, however there are still few families with your children / teenagers who manifest anti-social behaviors in certain occasions (e.g. Halloween). The areas nearby are quiter, e.g. Pearse Brothers Park, Palmer Park.

Advertisement