Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 G1 vs Gigabyte Gtx 970

Options
  • 11-12-2015 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭

Im going to pull the trigger on one of these today?Which is best?I am also open to other suggestions €350 is my max.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

It's hard to call either the best, they have pros and cons.

GTX 970 tends to be what people recommend for 1080p gaming, if you have no plan on moving up toward 1440p or further, it's more power efficient and will normally run cooler.

If you're going above 1080p the 8GB provided by the r9 390 makes sense.

I don't know if you take these sort of things into account, but personally I've chosen to no longer support nvidia because of their nonsense around gameworks and hairworks, but it's hard to argue against the GTX 970 it's a beast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Cheers mayordenis.Double the ram,thats what made me look twice at the 390.I was all set to buy the gtx 970!

I suppose if there is a chance of decent gaming at 1440p the radeon would be better so?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Both are great you'll be more than happy with either, I have the r9 390, a buddy of mine has the 970, at 1080p everything runs smooth as butter on ultra on both.
    magentis wrote: »
    I suppose if there is a chance of decent gaming at 1440p the radeon would be better so?

That's the general consensus, people think it's somewhat more future proofed but really it's much of a muchness.

Thanks for that.leaning towards the 390!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

The 390 also opens the door for cheaper FreeSync monitor upgrade in the future.

So i am down to these two.

Decisions,decisions!

I got a shock when i saw the power consumption difference,I have a 600w corsair psu,my complete build including the r9 390 would be 490w,is that enough headroom?

8192MB Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 G1 Gaming active PCIe 3.0 x16 (Retail)8192MB Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 G1 Gaming active PCIe 3.0 x16 (Retail)
    Article Number: 64609
    As a gift pack (3,90 € * / St.)As a gift pack (3,90 € * / St.)As a gift pack (3,90 € * / St.)

Stocked | > 5 St. (more to come)

€ 334.21 *

€ 334.21 *

Update Numberdelete Article
    Gigabyte GTX 970 4096MB WindForce 3X GeForce OC active PCIe 3.0 x16 (Retail)
    Gigabyte GTX 970 4096MB WindForce 3X GeForce OC active PCIe 3.0 x16 (Retail)
    Article number: 8603988
    As a gift pack (3,90 € * / St.)As a gift pack (3,90 € * / St.)As a gift pack (3,90 € * / St.)
    Stocked | only 3 St. (more to come)

€ 346.96 *

€ 346.96 *

Update Numberdelete Article

Artikelnummer eintragen

Add this item to cart
    Add this item to cart

Oh and €29.99 shipping bejesus!

Xenoronin wrote: »
    The 390 also opens the door for cheaper FreeSync monitor upgrade in the future.

Sounds like a plan:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Sod those prices and delivery.
    Go to amazon.co.uk for xfx 390 for 255 and free delivery. Even with poor stg conversion its a bit cheaper and much better customer service to boot.
    Use curiua.com for other eu amazons too

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Sod those prices and delivery.
    Go to amazon.co.uk for xfx 390 for 255 and free delivery. Even with poor stg conversion its a bit cheaper and much better customer service to boot.
    Use curiua.com for other eu amazons too

Thats what I was thinking!€30 is a bit mad for a card.

Would you reckon my psu would be ok Redfox25?

• Advertisement

magentis wrote: »
    Thats what I was thinking!€30 is a bit mad for a card.

Would you reckon my psu would be ok Redfox25?

I ran everything in through pc parts picker and with the card it would be 486w,power supply is a corsair cx600.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

600w is loads for you there

It will be grand. Hunt around there maybe better deals. Also if your not buying in next day or two watch for amazon sales over xmas holidays.
    Good luck with the upgrade

Redfox25 wrote: »
    It will be grand. Hunt around there maybe better deals. Also if your not buying in next day or two watch for amazon sales over xmas holidays.
    Good luck with the upgrade

Thanks a million for your help:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I wouldn't get an XFX model 390. Their coolers have generally been poor in the past unless they have improved them. The 390 needs good cooling.

BloodBath wrote: »
    I wouldn't get an XFX model 390. Their coolers have generally been poor in the past unless they have improved them. The 390 needs good cooling.
    Hi
    They have fixed the vrm issue by adding heat sinks. The fans are slightly different on the 390 vs 290 too.

Have 390x and it is hot alright but good.
    Op might snag a sapphire or msi brand either.

Advertisement