Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 small school-going kids? Do you have a good morning routine?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Same advice here - organisation is key.

Bags packed and lunches made night before. Clothes out night before. Everyone dressed, gone to toilet, teeth and hair brushed before going downstairs. Breakfast made, eaten. Everyone into coats, hats etc. and out the door.

It's not perfect, we tend to be a bit late for school most days but it's our first school going year so still trying to get a handle on it. We have a 3 month old, 3 yr old and 5 yr old. So dropping to montessori, school and baby in the car.

We are lucky that my husband can get the older two ready and brekkies made, including mine, while I feed baby and get ready myself. But when he is away I just get up half hr earlier to feed baby and sort myself out before I begin organising the older ones.

Routine is everything. Because we have a routine, our 3 yr old will now dress herself the minute she wakes up. Her clothes are easy for her to get and she knows where to find them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

OP does your wife work outside the home?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

No playtime going on here...

3 kids Up at 7. Out at 8 (with time for a shower for both of us!).
    No TV..
    No Toys at the table.
    Clothes out the night before.
    Make lunches while I'm making their breakfasts.
    Sometimes I literally throw the toast on to their plates like a frisbee.

I had a colleague who left the kids behind crying at the door while he drove off cos they were taking the mick with dilly/dallying. He'd been threatening for so long he had to follow through... he drove back in 1 minute though.

Ya tell the missus to get up when you do (unless she's on nights or something!). Otherwise it aint fair, or else you're getting some mega lie-ins the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I think there would be hassle with letting the children play before getting dressed. No toys in bedrooms is the rule here. We keep bedrooms for sleeping. I do the morning thing in our house, as i leave later.

My 4 year old brushes her teeth, dresses herself, heads downstairs, and sets the table. I started this when I was on maternity leave, with a reward chart. No chart needed anymore.

Meanwhile I am dressing the baby.

I get downstairs usually as the table is set. Put brekkie out for the two of them. They eat while i do the lunches (i like a fresh sandwich!), and then we walk to school. We do have an au pair here too for the baby, but she takes over as I leave. Doesn't do the morning routine. To be honest, I think that would be a very long day for an au pair if they had a full day until you got home from work as well.

Advertisement