Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB B power output?

Options
  • 11-12-2015 1:20pm

I have a Roberts Sound 80 and I want to use a Chromecast audio with it. The problem is I don't have a spare wall socket to power the Chromecast.

However the Roberts has a small USB B (the slightly square ones like printers use) port on the back. Now I'm wondering if I purchase a USB B to USB A female adapter would I be able to power the Chromecast from it?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pretty sure thats a no.

USB A is Host, B, Micro, Mini are Client. (Or master/slave if you like). So they shouldnt push any power, just data.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That port is probably for s/w upgrades, it definitely will not supply power. If you don't have a spare socket, is there a USB port on your TV? That definitely will power the Chromecast or failing that, buy a double adapter and plug the Chromecast mains plug and the lowest power device (e.g. DVD player) into it.

It's not a TV, it's a radio (Roberts Sound 80).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This is the downside to CC Audio, USB power is way less prolific. If the radio was supplied by 6V you could break it out easily enough, but at 12v it'll make it more work than its worth.

Advertisement