Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie PW Draft 2016 discussion thread!

• 11-12-2015 1:39pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭

O yeah it's that time of year again, the most magical time of the year, otherwise known as....Draft time biatches.
    CEBLbzQWoAA58p2.jpg:large

a quick recap on last years draft.

This was Mr Nice Guy

except MNG is actually a nice non douchie humble fellah

but...
    hqdefault.jpg

The Streak was broken!

It only took me 8 attempts to finally win the thing. Haven't decided if I will go the distance with a Paul Heyman-esque spiel every single show about it but your reigning defending undisputed draft champion is actually going to be your draft commisioner this year also.

Gotta start by saying, massive props to our Lord (Teamshadowclan) who ran it the past two years. The lad did an awesome job and I must say I am very happy that he will not only be involved as a participant this year but he also said he'd help me out running it as D2D did the last time I ran it back in 2012 iirc. That said deciding on stips etc to mix things up this year will all fall on my head so if you got anyone to blame for anything I'm your guy, while TSC is the awesome guy who will be there when the time difference means I'm not and can post up the next round order etc or make a ruling on an iffy pick.

wait a sec... What the hell is the draft?
    well here are last years threads for an example

Discussion Thread
    Roster Picks
    Evaluation - Shows

Long term posters will know all about the draft, but for those with a bit less experience, each year, we run a competition known as the Pro-Wrestling Draft. The idea is simple enough; 20 people, over the course of around 2 months, draft a dream roster of superstars and divas, managers and announcers, modern and vintage wrestlers, in a bid to create the ultimate collection of characters. After everyone has chosen, each person is invited to explain how they would book their roster, detailing storylines, matches, characters, etc.

This is the discussion thread for the upcoming 2015 draft. There will be three other threads made over the following weeks in which people can participate.

The sign-up thread will be posted on January 2nd at around Midday. This thread will be where everyone signs up to participate. We have 20 slots, and we'll hold places for previous winners and organizers of the competition. Typically we have a few drop outs as well, so don't worry if you miss the first run of slots; we usually need a significant back up list as well

The Roster Picks Thread will open up once the sign-ups are done. We randomly pick the order for each round, some rounds will have special stipulations and bonuses. The rules will be in the roster thread to glance over.

The Evaluation thread will open during Round 10 of the drafting process, and we'll invite everyone to write up their shows. You can write up to 4/5 "TV Shows" and 1 "Pay Per View" show in which to book your roster but you only really have to post a PPV card. We typically give people 2-3 weeks following Round 15 to get their shows up. Different people put different levels of effort in, but I should stress, it doesn't need to be massively time intesive; first and foremost, the draft is about some community fun, and while this will take 3-4 months (We usually try and end round Mania time), it can be real fun and flexible for everyone.

Voting takes place once a deadline passes; we'll post the deadline near the end of the picks. And then we'll post the second deadline once everyone asks for it to be extended :P

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

btw I already have stips in mind but if you wanna suggest any or any rule changes let me know.

On the topic of rule changes this will be the first year that the IWGP will be considered a world title so 1 pick of mine from the past few years will no longer be available (tag team). For those that know my previous picks there is a 2nd tag team of massive Japanese stars I always seem to get, they may still be eligable with this rule but I can let you know it won't be possible either this year but I don't wanna give up the planned stips etc just yet.

Also we generally don't name potential picks in this thread until they have been picked in the game and it is usually the case that everyone pms the person after them when tey have made a pick in the draft so they know its their go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

btw I already have stips in mind but if you wanna suggest any or any rule changes let me know.

On the topic of rule changes this will be the first year that the IWGP will be considered a world title so 1 pick of mine from the past few years will no longer be available (tag team). For those that know my previous picks there is a 2nd tag team of massive Japanese stars I always seem to get, they may still be eligable with this rule but I can let you know it won't be possible either this year but I don't wanna give up the planned stips etc just yet.

Fully behind the IWGP title being eligible, it makes a huge positive difference to the picks available.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ah, it begins.

I know who I want. I know the theme of my shows this year, and the characters who would be amazing it in. Have been plotting it out for the last six months.

So now the nerves kick in as I realise I probably won't get any of the people I want :P

Be nice to participate this year not knowing what's coming though, or what draw I will be getting.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Fully behind the IWGP title being eligible, it makes a huge positive difference to the picks available.

Yeah think I remember a few people suggesting this last year and tbh if the TNA title is considered one then the IWGP world title has to be considered one especially seing as we will probably have many of the same players as previous years and lets face it were a big bunch of smarks :pac: by which I mean we actually appreciate the Japanese wrestlers so it really is too much of a coup otherwise.
    Lord TSC wrote: »
    I know who I want. I know the theme of my shows this year, and the characters who would be amazing it in. Have been plotting it out for the last six months.

So now the nerves kick in as I realise I probably won't get any of the people I want :P

Always love your themed shows, def stand out from the crowd but 6 months dang, for the exact reason you state I could never do that. You almost never actually get who you planned to get but half the fun is making up plans on the fly as you realize who is still available I know I hadn't planned most of my picks last year and yet now I can't see how I could top that roster.

here are last years rules for peoples reference:

Draft Order
    The order people make their picks is decided at random, via a completely unbiased List Randomizer website. There will be two rounds in which the drawing order will not be random. These will be made clear at the start of those two rounds.

Tag Teams:

Tag Teams come as a package so for example if you want the Dudleys then you don't have to pick Bubba one round and then D-Von the next. The rules for tag teams are as follows:

- Cannot have a world champion in them ie no DX or Hart Foundation
    - Must have tagged together for at least 3 months
    - Inter gender tag teams not allowed
    - Members of factions, ie Saturn and Malenko, are not deemed valid picks as they are not classed as legit tag teams under the criteria for the game.
    - 5 tag teams is the maximum amount of teams for each roster

World Titles:
    World titles are considered as the following:
    WWE, World Heavyweight Title/WCW, IWGP Heavyweight Championship, TNA and NWA

(Note: For the benefit of the game as a whole and to reflect the realistic loss in prestige of the NWA Title, only holders of the NWA Title up until the WCW World Championship came into use will be regarded as World Champions for the purposes of the game. )

Eligible Promotions:
    WWE, TNA, ROH, anything historically going under the NWA banner.

Time Frame:
    No professional debuts pre 1970 are eligible. There will be a round for pre 1970 picks. There will also be a celeb round where celebs who have appeared on wrestling TV are elibible for picks.

- To determine wrestler debuts we will use Wikipedia as in previous years. If you feel the Wikipedia entry is incorrect you can PM me or one of the mods to state your case.

- people who would be considerd Celebs more so than wrestlers are only eligable to be drafted in the special celeb round and not in any other round

- Dark matches and try out matches will not be valid cases this year for selecting a wrestler.

- Managers and female wrestlers are eligible if people wish to pick them. Commentators have not been included in recent years.

Trades:
    Trades are allowed from rd6 onwards but you are limited it 5 trades each. When a trade occurs it's superstars your trading, not goes in the draft, so you must be able to make the draft pick before they are eligable to
    be drafted, i.e all normal rules such as 5 tag team picks limit are still in effect.

Trades may be vetoed by those running the game in order to ensure a fair balance is maintained. However, this is extremely unlikely to occur for the vast majority of trades, and will only be discussed in situations where there is suspicion of other matters influencing the game.

Stip rounds:
    We've got a few stipulation rounds lined up. Make sure to read each carefully, and if you're unsure what you're meant to do, ask in the discussion thread and verify your pick with an organiser.

Missed Picks
    The draft runs under a 24 Hour rule. In other words, you have 24 hours to make your pick from the moment the person prior to you has made theirs. This will be enforced so as not to slow down the game. If you think you are going to miss your window, PM someone a list of who you'd like and they can make your pick for you. Should you miss your window, your pick will be pushed back to the end of that round.

Note - Rules may be amended during the contest to help run the game smoother if it's felt this is necessary but we will aim to ensure everyone is kept up to date if this has to happen

hopefully some of the posters who have started posting less like TheBostonCrab or Waltersobchek (uncle Walt) return for the draft again this year as they have done so previously.

trying to think of who the former winners are too as an invite will be extended to them too. Off the top of my head we have RebelRockChick, MrNiceGuy x3 and myself but there are a few others.

btw I urge anyone looking in that has never taken part in the draft before to give it a shot (based on your comments elsewhere I'm looking at you stereo), it may look like a lot but its easy to get into and great addictive fun. We always have people saying aww I wish I signed up for this / didn't miss the sign up thread. hense why we are giving people a lot of notice about when it will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has spent time recently thinking, 'Ooh I'd love to draft so-and-so'.

With regards former winners if I'm not mistaken this is the total list of winners thus far:

2008 - RebelRockChick
    2009 - flahavaj
    2010 - Gerard.C
    2011 - flahavaj
    2012 - Mr.Nice Guy
    2013 - Mr.Nice Guy
    2014 - Mr.Nice Guy
    2015 - Bounty Hunter

Amazing that it's been going nearly ten years now.

With regards ideas, I liked the reverse order concept that was brought in for the first two rounds of the game. I think that was from the most recent draft? I'd like to see it again since it gives those with low draws in the first round some help for the second round.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the previous winners although yeah I think me and you will be the only 2 previous winners entering.

Yeah intend on having reverse order first two rounds which at the moment I have planned as both being stip rounds.

Stip Rounds - The lord can giveth and taketh away very easy with these rounds. Wonder whats instore come Jan 1st

I also agree with MNG on the reverse rounds. Good idea to keep things fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

100% in favour of the IWGP title being brought in to the rule. At this stage there are so many 1 on 1 dream matches that haven't been done yet in the draft that no one will mind only getting one of the main Japanese guys at a time.

I'd also like to bring in extending the big Japanese companies (Ie, NJPW and NOAH) into the mix fully rather than just guys who appeared in ROH or TNA, since there is a wealth of talent that people are familiar with that I'm sure people would love to book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

I REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY wanna be a part of this this year! Like REAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

100% in favour of the IWGP title being brought in to the rule. At this stage there are so many 1 on 1 dream matches that haven't been done yet in the draft that no one will mind only getting one of the main Japanese guys at a time.

I'd also like to bring in extending the big Japanese companies (Ie, NJPW and NOAH) into the mix fully rather than just guys who appeared in ROH or TNA, since there is a wealth of talent that people are familiar with that I'm sure people would love to book.

Plus 1,

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Plus 1,

Seeing as I've said I'd include the IWGP heavyweight title I'll probably also include new Japan for eligibility and any Japanese wrestlers who didn't ever make a NJPW or NWA etc appearance will be available for selection in one of the stip rounds anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

RCW will come back !

I'd say Brian and RCW will be one to watch after an impressive showing last year

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

I think I'll have to throw my hat in the ring this year!

As there is still over 2 weeks im sure this will drop off the first page but i'll make sure to bump it prior to the sign up thread going up too so people remember it's January 2nd that you can sign up for this.

Glad to see Cheese plans to and RCW hope to return this year and again I urge anyone on the fence to give it a try as there are always people half way through saying they wish they had signed up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

ZFaMugv.jpg

A statement released today simply states:
    Due to circumstances beyond its control the PCW will not be re joining the 2016 draft.

Insiders say:
    The owner went and got a new job and won't be able to commit to such an endeavour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

I'd be interested if there's a slot available. Not 100% sure what's involved but will read over threads to give me an idea

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Uncle Walt

I'd love to give this a go again this year especially since the real world got in the way of the Draft for me last year, but my interest in WWE is at an all time low, and knowledge of the current wrestling world is also at an all time low, guess i'll have to see if there's any spots left when the sign up thread opens! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I'm not sure about this to be honest. I really love it, and really want to do it. But exams during roster picks and then college during writing could hamper me. About 75% sure I'll commit but will have to give it a think!

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about this to be honest. I really love it, and really want to do it. But exams during roster picks and then college during writing could hamper me. About 75% sure I'll commit but will have to give it a think!

I've always found it a good distraction from work etc this year for instance I'm back as a student (learning Chinese) and I know this will be a much needed way to switch off when I'm not in uni or studying.

• Advertisement

What date shall the sign up thread be springing up BH?

Sorry to hear Lord TSC is stepping down, he did a stellar job in recent years, esp last year when he was clearly snowed under with other stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

January 2nd?

yep Stero spotted it in the OP but better to say again here where it can more easily be spotted:

Sign up thread will go up Jan 2nd probably around lunch time. I'll probably have the thread up but locked prior to that so everyone can see it in advance

with regards TSC
    Gotta start by saying, massive props to our Lord (Teamshadowclan) who ran it the past two years. The lad did an awesome job and I must say I am very happy that he will not only be involved as a participant this year but he also said he'd help me out running it as D2D did the last time I ran it back in 2012 iirc. That said deciding on stips etc to mix things up this year will all fall on my head so if you got anyone to blame for anything I'm your guy, while TSC is the awesome guy who will be there when the time difference means I'm not and can post up the next round order etc or make a ruling on an iffy pick.

planning on getting involved this time Maniac?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Hopefully this is the year Oldschool Championship Wrestling shows its full potential...

If there's still room by the time I get home from work that evening I'll sign up. I'll wait & see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

TBC ;) I hope I can participate again have a few things in January which may cause some delays

Maybe a thread with each roster listed that gets edited with each pick would be a good idea?

Maybe a thread with each roster listed that gets edited with each pick would be a good idea?

That's usually edited into the op of the picks thread by myself.

A few people tend to update the list and post it in this discussion thread which I then copy and paste into said op. Very handy when checking if your planned pick is still available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

That's usually edited into the op of the picks thread by myself.

A few people tend to update the list and post it in this discussion thread which I then copy and paste into said op. Very handy when checking if your planned pick is still available.

I don't think I ever use CTRL + F as much as I do during the Draft

• Advertisement

I usually have a list of potential picks written up so will delete them from my list as I go before making my pick. Hasn't stopped me making mistakes and trying to pick someone who has already gone before

Advertisement