Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this possible? 3 way socket switch?

Options
  • 11-12-2015 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a high gain antenna for wireless broadband that I switch off every night by a socket + switch at the side of my bed every night.

Her good self wishes to be able to turn back on the wireless if she wakes during the night but the switch is on my side of the bed.
    I would like to have some solution that would allow her or myself to switch on/off wireless from either side.

Would this setup be possible?

10gecus.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Either leave it on all night or plug it in beside her

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Either leave it on all night or plug it in beside her

Guess you don't have THE answer to my question then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

JaCrispy wrote: »
    Guess you don't have THE answer to my question then?

Swap sides with herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Why would you turn it off at night ?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

Remote socket
    She could have remote and you could switch manually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

A competent Electrician could do this with switches and a contactor but it's really not a job for a DIYer.

All seems slightly pointless though.

OU812 wrote: »
    Why would you turn it off at night ?

It's a highly powerful antenna very close to my head every night. Call me paranoid or what but it takes nothing to turn it off.

A remote socket could possibly work but the sockets are out of view from either side.

Would 2 x 2-way light switches in the original diagram work?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

simpler way :

http://www.maplin.ie/p/remote-controlled-mains-sockets-set-3-pack-n79ka

2 x 2 way switches will work

light switches normally aren't rated to carry 15a though

if in the future someone plugs say a heater in up in the attic ( pipes frozen ), something will overheat and might cause a fire

gctest50 wrote: »
    2 x 2 way switches will work

light switches normally aren't rated to carry 15a though

if in the future someone plugs say a heater in up in the attic ( pipes frozen ), something will overheat and might cause a fire

Thank you. Its leading to a 4 way extension lead which in turn powers a 1 amp internal wireless access point and a 1 amp external antenna.
    Nothing else will be plugged into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

It's a highly powerful antenna very close to my head every night. Call me paranoid or what but it takes nothing to turn it off.

A remote socket could possibly work but the sockets are out of view from either side.

The remote sockets work by RF (radio frequency signals).
    Buy two of the single packs from the Maplin page linked by gcguest50

Then each of you will have a remote to turn the socket on and off.

Much cheaper, safer and easier to set up then using switches etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

So why did you put it in so close to your bed? Why not move it to another location altogether?

OU812 wrote: »
    So why did you put it in so close to your bed? Why not move it to another location altogether?

The antenna is on the outside of the house, its the only place where I can locate it and eitherway I would be a total b1tch to move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qnvvmbvkd6nuuh/Screenshot_2015-12-12-17-57-11.png?dl=0+1
    Even woodies have a pack of rf sockets as do lidl sometimes.

I've used X10 sockets that are controlled over a network set up over the power line to do exactly what you are talking about except I was resetting an eircom router in the attic

I'm using lightwave sockets now. They do that too but use a wireless signal.
    The controller is 55 pounds and a packet of three sockets complete with one remote control is 26 pounds . The advantage here is that it has a free app and you could switch then on and off using your smart phones, or even better use a simple timer that you set on the app. sometimes remotes get lost.

I currently have my external Christmas lights on such a timer and it works no problem.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/hq0hshjtw5g4ve9/812738022_135386.jpg?dl=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Stoner wrote: »
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qnvvmbvkd6nuuh/Screenshot_2015-12-12-17-57-11.png?dl=0+1
    Even woodies have a pack of rf sockets as do lidl sometimes.

I've used X10 sockets that are controlled over a network set up over the power line to do exactly what you are talking about except I was resetting an eircom router in the attic

I'm using lightwave sockets now. They do that too but use a wireless signal.
    The controller is 55 pounds and a packet of three sockets complete with one remote control is 26 pounds . The advantage here is that it has a free app and you could switch then on and off using your smart phones, or even better use a simple timer that you set on the app. sometimes remotes get lost.

I currently have my external Christmas lights on such a timer and it works no problem.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/hq0hshjtw5g4ve9/812738022_135386.jpg?dl=0
    You can use the dusk setting instead of a fixed on time for the lights too. Not that there will be much of a time change for the period of use for the Christmas lights.

Them plug in sockets are very handy alright.

Advertisement