Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New wifi extender

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Don't get a repeater, they will leave you with a slow network. Better to get a set of homeplugs with built in WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭carter001

Thanks mass_debater

I have used homeplug before but I got terrible ethernet speeds so I had to switch to cat6 instead.

Would this be the same situation if I got wifi homeplugs?

carter001 wrote: »
    Thanks mass_debater

I have used homeplug before but I got terrible ethernet speeds so I had to switch to cat6 instead.

Would this be the same situation if I got wifi homeplugs?

You don't know until you try. But them in Argos, keep the packaging, they have 14 day no quibble return policy.

A much better option if it's possible is to run cat 5 or 6 and add an access point.

You don't know until you try. But them in Argos, keep the packaging, they have 14 day no quibble return policy.

A much better option if it's possible is to run cat 5 or 6 and add an access point.

Thanks for the advice,

If I was setting up an access point do I need a new router?I mean Virgin Media has a built in router,so would I just run a cat 5 or 6 cable from that to a new router?

i'm not great with wireless to be honest.
    thanks.

No, you don't want a second router, it complicates things. Access point is what you need.

• Advertisement

No, you don't want a second router, it complicates things. Access point is what you need.

Cheers,

The wall is pretty thick between the sitting room and the kitchen so I don't think I can drill through it ;)

Not much point in setting up an access point for the kitchen since it's only a few feet away from the sitting room.I see what you're saying though and its a very good idea.
    thanks.

Advertisement