Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving best route Marino to Rathmines

Options
  • 11-12-2015 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

I want to pick up some relatives on Christmas day they live in Rathmines. I am not the best of drivers and feel cos there will be no public transport or lots of cars out on that day I would like to collect them instead of getting a taxi. I am a learner but never driven in town the route I only know is up the quays, dame st, camden portobello and rathmines. I know there are some no go areas for cars in the city centres would that be a bit more relaxed on Christmas day. I dont want to go down near the docks or merrion square area as not familar with it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

miss choc wrote: »
    I want to pick up some relatives on Christmas day they live in Rathmines. I am not the best of drivers and feel cos there will be no public transport or lots of cars out on that day I would like to collect them instead of getting a taxi. I am a learner but never driven in town the route I only know is up the quays, dame st, camden portobello and rathmines. I know there are some no go areas for cars in the city centres would that be a bit more relaxed on Christmas day. I dont want to go down near the docks or merrion square area as not familar with it.

I would personally go over the bridge past the IFSC and turn left then right then left onto Pearse street and then turn right onto the Canal. Then follow the Canal all the way to Rathmines.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The route you mentioned is ok, if you want to avoid unfamiliar territory. The College Green Bus Corridor should be ok to drive through on a public holiday. Plug your start and end points into Goggle Maps and it will plot out your journey for you, street by street. Bring someone with you to navigate and read the map/phone. As a learner, you can't be out driving by yourself, especially if you aren't (by your own admission) a good driver yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

There will be hardly any cars out in town on Christmas Day. You'll be fine with that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,288 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

On the way back via Portobello, Camden Street, Aungier Street, are you able as a private car to turn right onto Dame Street from South Great Georges Street?
    Even without the bus gate being in operation, I thought that turn was for buses, taxis only - but could be wrong.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

odyssey06 wrote: »
    On the way back via Portobello, Camden Street, Aungier Street, are you able as a private car to turn right onto Dame Street from South Great Georges Street?
    Even without the bus gate being in operation, I thought that turn was for buses, taxis only - but could be wrong.

That's true, to go northside, you would have to go left at the end of George's Street, carry on up to Christchurch, take the right after Christchurch down the hill, then right up the quays and on out to Marino past Busaras and Connolly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

miss choc wrote: »

Where in Rathmines? Personally, I would cross Annesley Bridge and follow North Strand Road down to 5 Lamps turning left at the funeral home then down Seville Place/Guild Street over the Samuel Beckett Bridge turning onto Cardiff Lane at the Ferryman. Turn left onto Pearse St after the Bord Gais Theatre going over Rngsend Bridge turning right onto South Lotts Road at the Dog Track. From there it's straight through Haddington Road, Mespil Road (alongside the canal) and down to Turn left at Mount Pleasant Ave or Rathmines Road depending on what part of Rathmines you're going to. Reversing this trip is fairly easy except that you can't turn right at the 5 Lamps junction but continue through it and do a u-turn then a left turn into North Strand Road. Certainly no need to go anywhere near College Green, George's St or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,288 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Marcusm wrote: »
    Where in Rathmines? Personally, I would cross Annesley Bridge and follow North Strand Road down to 5 Lamps turning left at the funeral home then down Seville Place/Guild Street over the Samuel Beckett Bridge turning onto Cardiff Lane at the Ferryman. Turn left onto Pearse St after the Bord Gais Theatre going over Rngsend Bridge turning right onto South Lotts Road at the Dog Track. From there it's straight through Haddington Road, Mespil Road (alongside the canal) and down to Turn left at Mount Pleasant Ave or Rathmines Road depending on what part of Rathmines you're going to. Reversing this trip is fairly easy except that you can't turn right at the 5 Lamps junction but continue through it and do a u-turn then a left turn into North Strand Road. Certainly no need to go anywhere near College Green, George's St or anything like that.

For the return leg, you'll need to come back out onto the canal with a right turn from Mount Pleasant Avenue (which ends at a T Junction at the canal). I don't think there's a right turn from Rathmines Road onto the canal.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I would go Marino > Fairview > over onto City Quay > turn right onto Lombard st > head for Merrion sq > go right up Fitzwilliam street > Adelaide road > Turn left onto Richmond street South > over La Touche bridge into Rathmines

Advertisement