Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frankenstien

Options
  • 11-12-2015 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭

My Frankenstein project is progressing well but I've hit a snag on a side track.

I managed to get a good deal on a Dell U3415W. I love it - I mean if it was a choice between saving the wife or the monitor from the house if it was on fire, it would take me a moment. (Only kidding would defo save the monitor).

Two issues.

These monitors seem to have an issue with mini DP at the best of times. I've switched off DP 1.2 but it still has issues with fuzz on the screen and (hopefully through the speakers) making a popping noise. Now this is mainly at start up or on a resolution change. Switch the monitor off and back on again it's happy again.

Would a proper DP to DP cable solve this? Any suggestions on which to buy? I've heard ones WITHOUT audio are the ones to go for - any truth in that?

I STRESS that this issue HAPPENS AT STOCK but I have the monitor overclocked now to 75Hz - will that change what cable to go for?

Second issue:

Can you run a hub off a hub. Becuase of the way the computer is build into the unit I want as few cables as possible running from the rear I/O. I have my K95 plugged into the 3 Port hub on the monitor, along with my RAT MMO. I assume both take a bit of juice. I want to attach a 7 port powered USB 3 hub like this one*. It might be used for phone charging, connecting a Joystick and occasionally a DVD writer or external HDD. Will it work do you think? I was getting all sorts of surge issues hooking up the DVD writer directly to the monitor.

*I mean it has my name on it and everything!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Anyone on the DP cable question? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

mabey try a quality surge protector plug, sounds more like electrical interference

Skatedude wrote: »
    mabey try a quality surge protector plug, sounds more like electrical interference

Not happening on HDMI though?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

HDMI and DP apparantley run through different feeds and circuits, so perhaps your monitor has a botched connection.
    But yeah, try a DP-DP cable, (one that doesn't carry sound, because, well, that's what headphones are for) and if not...maybe that deal wasn't worth it.

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    HDMI and DP apparantley run through different feeds and circuits, so perhaps your monitor has a botched connection.
    But yeah, try a DP-DP cable, (one that doesn't carry sound, because, well, that's what headphones are for) and if not...maybe that deal wasn't worth it.

DP without sound was supposed to give a better connection - seems that's something no one here has heard of? Possible myth?

Defo worth it even on HDMI :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement