Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nominations for the ultimate gong(s) in TDAR

Options
  • 11-12-2015 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Given this was mentioned a week or so ago I thought a Friday evening was as good a time as any to craft this.

Poster of the year
    Post of the year
    Race of the year (AR)
    Race of the year (Tri)
    Race report of the year
    Training log of the year
    Performance of the year (AR)
    Performance of the year (Tri)
    Thread of the year

To vote simply pop myself, BTH or mossym a message with your vote for the categories you want to vote on. Voting closes Tuesday 22nd.

Feel free to discuss here or nominate/drop categories.

P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Ones who stand out to my mind include:

Poster of the year- Dory: travelled to Ireland for a Boards race and meetups, ran with a broken femur, drank like a fish, smooth dancing, consistent training and racing, competitive to the last, always helpful, all round good gal.
    Post of the year- Monkey :)
    Race of the year (Tri)- Caroline Kearney. What every race should aspire to be. Great organisation, great route, great racing. Ironman? Never heard of 'em.
    Race report of the year- Peter Kerns Zell am See . There are plenty of contenders but I like this one as an example of when a race doesn't go to plan. Something that happens all too frequently in Tri, and a lot to learn when things go pear shaped.
    Training log of the year- Zico I am the Master of my Fate. Always a good honest read. Start logging again please.
    Performance of the year (Tri)- Joey100 CK Tri. Giving this one the nod as it was a much improved performance. Reads like a perfect race- an often its hard to make a good read from a good race!
    Thread of the year- Swimming for Tri beginners. Yes I have the brass neck of a FF councillor for nominating my own thread, but it was a useful thread for a lot of newbies, paid forward some of the great advice Dory and interested had given me over the years, and most importantly there was some great progress from those who put in the hard work.

And for fun...
    Deal of the year- Half price Zerod wetsuits...thanks Joey!
    Retailer of the Year- AKW for always giving good gear advice and service.
    Rule change of the year- TI adopting BTU water temp rules means we can now swim outside the tropical Irish summer of two weeks in Aug.
    Mulligan of the year- leaders in Cat1 HOTW skipped the final bouy- it would have been a brave official to DQ that winner ;)
    Shiny medal of the year- DCT: nice design and sure there's one for everyone in the audience :)
    Unsung heros of the year- TI officials, more sinned against than sinning, and they keep the show on the road.
    Outrage and Indignation of the year- "You will not believe the insult and offence this guy causes! Click HERE to find out more!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Cheers Kurt I'd agree with you on a lot of what you said. CK definitely gets race of the year for me. Consistently put on a great race, great atmosphere and really look after everyone. Put this together with one of the fastest courses around, that's actually a bit long on the bike and run, and you have, for my money, the best race in the country. Your swim thread was the best thread of the year, I'd say there is a good few who got through Dublin 70.3 who owe you a drink for that.

I'm going to disagree about performance of the year, definitely wasn't me. 16th in a NS race is decent but there was a lot better performances than that from people on here. Zico had a great race in Majorca, Bambaatta coming 3rd in the RACE, but for me the best performance was RJM in Budapest. Great race and desereved for all the training he done. Stands out for me as the best performance of the year.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I have a swiss cheese brain that doesn't retain specifics, but I definitely think Neady83 needs special mention for her Beast log. Zico for performance of the year. I second DD for poster of the year. Shes always smiling and is EVERYWHERE. AR race has to be Beast of Ballyhoura and performance obviously triharder.
    Most-surprising-in-real-life is tunney. KGs swim thread for thread of the year, it was a gift to new swimmers and a real 'cmon in and sit down!' welcome to people new to the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

These aren't necessarily what I'll be voting for, merely contributing to the discussion.

Poster of the year:
    I’ll nominate Peter Kern. He not afraid to call things as he sees them and some of his posts I even agree with. He’s a poster with a lot of knowledge and I think the forum is lucky to have them

Post of the year:
    This one from Kurt was great;http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93592618&postcount=18
    It was posted last year, but after the awards for 2014 were given out. So I think it’s fair to nominate it for this year’s award. Still, I think post of the year should simply be the most thanked post oustide of the training logs. Is there any simple way of finding this out?

Race of the year (AR):
    I’ll let others decide.

Race of the year (Tri):

Kilkee or Tri an Mhí.
    This year’s Hell of the West was probably the most enjoyable race I ever did. The fact I think I raced well, no doubt contributes to this opinion. One thing Kilkee has going for it every year is that it’s an excellent course and venue. I’m not sure how the later waves felt about the running of it, but I think Super Series was tremendously well staged.
    Not much to say about Tri an Mhí that hasn’t been said before. Another brilliant race and it’s a shame it’s disappeared off the calendar for 2016. It will be a big loss and hopefully it will be back.

Race report of the year:
    I enjoy reading most race reports, but this one http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96160057&postcount=404 from RQ stands out. We all do triathlon because we supposedly enjoy it and I think this really comes across in her report.

Training log of the year:

I’ll go for joey100’s
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057056668
    He regularly updates his log with proper details of his training. Occasional posts about DIY jobs, but by and large it’s easy to see what he’s doing and how he’s progressing.

Performance of the year (AR):
    I’m not really sure what this lot were up to. I believe Oryx suffered terribly and showed tremedous determination to finish ‘The Race’, so maybe her. Then Bambataa did very well at the same event, so maybe him. And maybe this isn’t even a proper adventure race, in which case, you can disregard my comments.

Performance of the year (Tri):

I’d agree with Joey and say that RJM race in Budapest was a standout performance. It was a very well executed race and extremely impressive in so many ways. One of the few boardsies who truly delivered on the day. Having siad that though, I’ll probably still vote for myself. :)

Thread of the year:

I’m a bit conflicted on this one. I think Kurt deserves enormous credit for starting and maintaining his ‘Swimming for Tri Beginner’ thread over so many weeks. I’d find it hard to believe there was another thread this year that was more helpful to such a large number of people. But the creator of the thread has closed his account, so who could you give the award to?
    In some ways though I think the thread of the year, should simply be the thread that got the most views or the most replies. I don’t know how much of the comments were constructive, but from this point of view the winner surely has to be the Dublin 70.3 thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057223256. It might not be a popular choice for many, but much like Hitler being on the shortlist for Time’s Person of the Millenium, I think it has to be considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Worth linking to RJM85's Budapest report, great read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I'm partial to catweazle's IM Nice report for Race Report of the Year. :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96092785&postcount=371

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Poster of the year
    Joey100 - great training log, takes a sincere interest in everyone elses training, and is definitely one of the posters the forum is better off for.

Post of the year
    Zicos response to Kurt in the tri gimmicks thread sticks in my mind

Race of the year (Tri)
    Tri an Mhi CXIII

Race report of the year
    I'll come back to this

Training log of the year
    Peters log - some great insights to the mentality needed to succeed.

Very kind people mentioning me - I was lucky enough to have a good day in a field that flattered. There are some much more impressive performances for my money

I'm torn between
    A) Dory at Maryland 70.3 - coming back from a leg fracture to end up top 5 in AG, and
    B) Zico at Majorca - on any other day that was a deserved kona slot.

As an aside - having personally witnessed Zicos run in Tri an Mhi - the pace with which he passed me at kilometre 8 (or so) is something that has stuck with me as what I'm aspiring to at some point in the future. Anyone can hammer themselves on the bike and then blow up in the run, it takes a bit of class to execute a run like that.

Thread of the year
    Swim beginners thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

my favorite poster is watercarrier he had me twice in stitches last week ( so thats for the short time memory price)
    tunney who gave me 50 euro is my overall favorite boardie 2015.

I loved that kurt unlike most boardies did not just complain but acted on his complains and started the swim thread
    big kudos for that. as it gives a forum a bit of sense .

most off putting this year was 70,3 thread as it showes that many people might be better off to say nothing if they dont know whats happening ( less is often more)

the most kind and balanced poster is pgibbo and i think this is good to have that.

smartest athelte moment likely has to go to tangos swim to the first buoy at CK ,a fantastic display of sighting and more so pre race prep.he made 8 or so decent swimmers look like beginners who had not done their homework . It was the easiest 400 or so swim meters in a tri at a start and I was still where i needed to be at the first buoy.

biggest tantrum ;-)
    ray o first selling everything and now starting to buy everything again ;-) only toped by himself leaving the water half way during an open water swim in july ,as he was bored , and now is kind of first in the water but defo last out the water once a week.

dub 70.3 gets award vote for worst and best race
    worst as i have seen that tri overall is really F.cked with mass drafting but the best swim course of the year and by far the best atmosphere on the run course i have ever seen in Ireland and Athlone 2010 was very good.

otherwise i miss huff n puff always was interested in what he had to say.

not very helpful i guess but i would not be a fan of best of stuff. as it depends on so many things .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

My two cents

Poster of the year:
    Dory, she’s all over every log and thread with encouragement, a kind word and constructive advice. She asks smart questions that get you thinking and that receive answers that everyone can learn from.

Race of the year (AR):
    The Beast of Ballyhoura because it’s the only one I’ve taken part in. If we were voting on AR dot watching satisfaction it would have to be the AR World Championships 2015 in Brazil.

Race of the year (Tri):
    I’m not a triathlete but can I vote for Kilkee because I come from near there and I’ve cheered on the Hell of the Westers many times?

Race report of the year:
    There have been some spectacular race reports this year but two stand out for me. Oryx’ RACE report – one of the first reports I read when I joined this year and one that I’ve thought a lot about when I’ve been doing my own suffering in whatever adventuring that I’ve been doing. The strength and determination she showed to keep going and finish that race deserves mention.

Shotgunmcos’s Beast report was unbelievably honest and outlined exactly what him and the team overcame both mentally and physically to make it to the end.

Training log of the year:
    Chronicles of a Fish: the days of surf and turf by Dory. A seriously detailed log that makes for enjoyable reading and the training is really focused and consistent …. not to mention the come back of the century after fracturing her femur in Ireland and nursing it back to take 5th in her IM AG. Dory’s race reports and long cycle reports are pretty spectacular – they cheer me up every morning ☺

Zico’s log also deserves mention for dedication and bloody hard work.

Performance of the year (AR):
    Team #triharder in the Beast, very smart racing and they used everything that they learned during the Beast in 2014 to improve their 2015 performance. Loosing your chief navigator a few weeks before the big one would throw any team but not #triharder ☺

Performance of the year (Tri):
    Racoonqueen did amazingly well in IronMan Austria especially with so many knock backs in her training due to illness.

Dory’s 5th place AG in IronMan Louisville after fracturing her femur earlier in the year.

Zico’s IM Mallorca performance. I was sick to my stomach when he didn’t get his Kona slot after his dedication to hard training sessions.

Neady83 wrote: »
    Dory’s 5th place AG in IronMan Louisville after fracturing her femur earlier in the year.

Pssst....^^^.....it was 5th place AG at Eagleman (Maryland) 70.3 four months after femur fracture - IM Louisville was a 7th place AG finish eight months after fracture. I just don't want to mislead or confuse anyone. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Pssst....^^^.....it was 5th place AG at Eagleman (Maryland) 70.3 four months after femur fracture - IM Louisville was a 7th place AG finish eight months after fracture. I just don't want to mislead or confuse anyone. :)

Pssst...it's both of them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Dory Dory wrote: »

This makes your recovery even more epic :) Thanks you :)

Neady83 wrote: »
    This makes your recovery even more epic :) Thanks you :)

I was trying not to take undeserved credit!!! :o(ugh...but thanks! ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Poster of the year
    I'd +1 Gibbo. An absolute Gent, fair and always keeps a thread moving with his questions. However since he is a Mod :P my vote is Joey. Really enjoy his log, very positive guy and always adds something to a post that make the forum a better place.

Post of the year
    My memory doesn't qualify me to vote on this but I'm with Zico. Most thanked post is probably most objective if there is a way to pull it out.

Race of the year (AR)
    Beast Of Ballyhoura, European Championship Final

Race of the year (Tri)
    I didn't do any tri this year

Race report of the year
    Oryx's description of The Race and the suffering..

Training log of the year
    Easily Dory. As entertaining as it is dedicated.

What really surprised me was Enduro and Co taking a podium at a savage AR European Champs in very lofty company. He hates swimming and heights and had to get a teammate to push him off a 25ft jump so he wouldn't cost them a penalty

Toss up between Zico and RJM85. Both such dedication and smart training to 2 respective excellent performances. Colours honestly nailed to the mast early too. RJM85 came across as the more self fulfilling performance and thats what it is ultimately about. So he shaded it for me. This was a hard call though.

Thread of the year
    The swim beginner thread, good on Kurt to get it going and keep it going. A forum needs threads like that and posters like Kurt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Post of the year
    My memory doesn't qualify me to vote on this but I'm with Zico. Most thanked post is probably most objective if there is a way to pull it out.

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?forum=1527&date_from=01-01-2015&date_to=13-12-2015&sort=thanks&query=%2A%3A%2A

Guess you get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

poster.. dory
    post of the year..this is one that made a lot of sense to me and ive come back to it and tried to apply it a few times during the year, from the If you had one piece of IM advice, what would it be? thread

When doing the body inventory 'systems check', find a part that doesnt hurt, and concentrate on that. If other bits feel awful, tell yourself 'my right ear is grand, and sure my little fingers are just great too'. You have to find the positives, and not the negatives. Let your mind go to how you feel awful, and you will make it worse! oryx

ar / tri race of the year i didnt do any race that would be in the running for either of these so im leaving it out
    race report .. the race oryx
    training log. peter kern, interesting to see how much someone taking it seriously has to do and has a fair bit of detail without overkill
    performance. ar . neady in the beast.
    performance tri . zico.
    thread. kurts swimming thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Ryath wrote: »

Just following on from this, I think 'Welcome our new Mod!' is a bit of an outlier and hardly warrants consideration for post of the year. (No offence intended to Mossy or to Shotgun.) But I would be happy to see it go to number 2 in the list, this post by Steroo. I think the sentiment expressed in it is very admirable, and it really stands out in a thread full of negativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Enduro

pgibbo wrote: »

Poster of the year
    Post of the year
    Race of the year (AR)
    Race of the year (Tri)
    Race report of the year
    Training log of the year
    Thread of the year

Complete non-tri head, but have done some AR, so will try to confine myself to things I have a clue about!

Poster of the Year: MCOS... has done so much for the forum, and continues to do so. Knowledgable and enthusiastic about both Tri and AR.

Race of the Year (AR): Can only be the Beast of Ballyhoura / European AR championships. The first time a major AR championship was held in Ireland, and the first proper expedition length AR in Ireland for quite a few years. Quite a big step up for Ivan and his crew to organise, but they succeeded with aplomb. I think everyone discovered parts of Ireland they hadn't seen before. Made the most out of a rarely utilised part of the country for AR. Any visiting team I spoke with seemed to very much enjoy their Irish visit.

Race report of the year: Neady's Beast of Ballyhoura report. Quite an adventure!

Performance of the year (AR): I'm going to nominate my Beast teammate who posts here as dapope. Has spent years working on his weaknesses and turning them into strenghts. On a hard hard kayak in the beast he was easily the strongest in the team. Great teamworker as well. I loved seeing him crying tears of joy at the prizegiving when the impact of being 3rd in Europe hit home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Best sports gear: anything by Columbia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Remember folks - category suggestions in public but actual nominations for awards in private to the mods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Ryath wrote: »

btw how did you do that ?
    i always struggle to find old posts on boards
    so I guess a thread with a tutorial on how to maximise search functions would be great ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

peter kern wrote: »
    btw how did you do that ?
    i always struggle to find old posts on boards
    so I guess a thread with a tutorial on how to maximise search functions would be great ;-)

Click on the magnifying glass icon leaving the search blank will bring you to the advanced search page. On the results page you can then order by best match, oldest, newest or most thanked. Actually left the training log forum out few more posts for shortlist here.

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?forum=1527&date_from=01-01-2015&date_to=16-12-2015&subforums=1&sort=thanks&query=%2A%3A%2A

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Thanks to everyone that has voted so far. Just a reminder that tomorrow is the last day for this. Thank you.

P

I'll be updating with the results tomorrow morning. Still time for those that haven't submitted.

P.

I know the anticipation has been killing you all. :P

So without any further delay..........

Poster of the year: Peter Kern
    Post of the year: Steroo
    Race of the year (AR): The Beast
    Race of the year (Tri): Caroline Kearney (CK)
    Race report of the year: Oryx The Race: The Report
    Training log of the year: Dory Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf
    Performance of the year (AR): Team triharder
    Performance of the year (Tri): RJM85 in Budapest
    Thread of the year: Swimming for Tri Beginners
    Most-surprising-in-real-life: tunney

Thanks to everyone who took the time to vote. Some of the categories were very close. Congrats to all the winners above. Very well deserved.

I'll be signing off boards for 2015 shortly as I begin my Christmas holidays. Thanks to everyone for their contribution to our little corner of boards over 2015. Looking forward to catching up with you all in 2016. I'd like to wish you all a very Happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year. Here's hoping Santa is good to us all. Personally I'm hoping there's a TM01 under the tree but I doubt it. :D

Enjoy the holidays and have those extra treats :cool:

Thank you pgibbo for taking the time to head this fun "gong thingy" up - and thank you to BTH and mossy as well. How lucky we all are to have such a collection of diversely talented people to draw inspiration, motivation, education and good natured entertainment from. I applaud those who have contributed to this forum, even in the smallest of ways, for you make all of us better. Merry Christmas everyone!!! :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Good health :P, Happiness and SPEED to all. Merry Christmas. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Thanks P. Have a great Christmas everyone and look forward to reading all the giddy goals in the new year!

Advertisement