Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing the sale

Options
  • 11-12-2015 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

We are at the end of a sale and are at the closing stage. The money was transferred to the vendors solicitor. The actual closing date has passed but the banks were slow to release the funds. Just a few questions:

1) When should we get the keys? After getting off the phone to the EA the vendor is currently away and he (EA) doesnt have a set of them

2) Apparently the vendor has to still move items from the house. We are in a rush to move in because our lease is up.

3) Our solicitor said we will have to sign final documents next week. Officially, should we not get the keys until these are signed?

4) The vendor indicated over the phone that he will be taking the washing machine. On the contracts there was no indication that white goods were included in the sale. Only a verbal agreement was made with the vendor and the EA said this also when we viewed the house. Can he take the washing machine? (this doesnt really bother us as much as it probably should!)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Dellnum

Was the entire money paid by the banks to the vendor's solicitor? If so then you should have the keys.

If you have just paid the deposit and have not signed the contracts yet then you are not entitled to the keys.

The date for getting into the property will be discussed at the time of signing the contracts so you will then have your say as to when you want to take possession.

So my advice would be to organize to sign the contracts as quickly as possible if you are in a hurry to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Sun in Capri

I signed all documentation before I got the keys not after. The bank transferred the funds to my solicitor and my solicitor transferred the funds to vendor solicitor same day. I got the keys the next day. I would be very annoyed if the vendor solicitor has the funds and the house was still not ready for me to move in. Your solicitor should push and push and you should demand the keys from EA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

rabwaygal wrote: »
    We are at the end of a sale and are at the closing stage. The money was transferred to the vendors solicitor. The actual closing date has passed but the banks were slow to release the funds. Just a few questions:

1) When should we get the keys? After getting off the phone to the EA the vendor is currently away and he (EA) doesnt have a set of them

2) Apparently the vendor has to still move items from the house. We are in a rush to move in because our lease is up.

3) Our solicitor said we will have to sign final documents next week. Officially, should we not get the keys until these are signed?

4) The vendor indicated over the phone that he will be taking the washing machine. On the contracts there was no indication that white goods were included in the sale. Only a verbal agreement was made with the vendor and the EA said this also when we viewed the house. Can he take the washing machine? (this doesnt really bother us as much as it probably should!)

Thanks

1) If all funds have been transferred, the vendors solicitor will have sent the EA an email saying that the sale has closed and they can release the keys to you.

2) As above, if the sale has closed the vendors should not have any keys, but it is up to you to let them in.

3) If there are final documents to sign, then all funds should not be with the vendors solicitor.

4) If it's not written, they are entitled to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd check what there taking before going any further, washing machine isn't a biggy, we had stuff that shouldn't have been taken, fitted mirrors from the bathroom, all appliances, cooker, fridge, washing machines, all blinds and curtains and all the railings they were hung on...silly we couldn't even hang a curtain, was surprised the doors were still there..I know another house that was complete stripped, kitchen taken out, water cylinder even the ubends in the toilets...
    Get it in writing off the solicitor what you've actually bought...

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

are you sure that the final amount was transferred and not just the deposit?? i doubt the full amount has been paid into the vendors account if you have not signed all the final documents. Just bought a house in sep we signed the contracts and then when they were exchanged by both parties my solicitor requested funds from the bank. When he received them he transferred them to the vendors solicitors account which took 24 hours and once they were in we got a call from the solicitor to say we could collect the keys from the vendors solicitors office. any goods being left have to be mentioned in the contracts you signed if there were none mentioned then they weren't a condition of the sale and so the vendor can take them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement