Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching English in Paris / France

Options
  • 11-12-2015 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I am in a situation now where after 15 years working for the same company I want a change. Not only a change in what I do as in industry but I actually want to move to France preferably Paris and get a job teaching English.

I have been working in the aviation industry for the same company in a couple of jobs but most recently as a trainer. Teaching people both new hires and established employees over a wide range of subjects in a class room and hands on situation as well as helping develop training material on PowerPoint etc. I kind of stumbled into this element by accident but ended up being the most fun and rewarding job I've had and without sounding big headed I've had great feedback from the people I have taught and have given classes all over Europe.

The thing is I want out of the industry, the company I work for, for a few reasons quality of life being the main one. I can do better in terms of salary and how I'm treated.

I have lived in Paris many years ago in my early 20's, I'm in my late 30's now and always relished the idea of going back... I have read up a lot about teaching English in Paris and there appear to be many opportunities but varying pay and so on, seems a lot about luck.. I'd only make the leap if I felt that I could maintain a decent lifestyle as in pay the rent and eat out a couple of times a week and a few beers etc although nothing flash.

Sorry for being long winded but if anyone has any experience of making the same leap or similar so to speak or lives in Paris / France and knows people teaching over there I'd love to hear your opinion or any tips etc...

cheers..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I used to teach in Italy in my early 20s.
    My experience of teaching, in general, was working with a lot of people who were "passing through" or not fully settled.
    There were some people who were married with kids, and liked the flexible hours of teaching.
    I'm thinking of maybe doing another TEFL course if it comes to it.
    After that, I would imagine taking a leap of faith and moving to France hoping you'd get a job fairly soon after arriving.
    Would you consider a smaller city to get set up, then while working there, look at opportunities in Paris?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Hi seachto7, thanks for the reply. Yes Paris isn't a deal breaker to set up somewhere else would work too. I was thinking Paris as I already know the city very well and it has a strong Irish community there and probably more opportunities but working elsewhere wouldn't bother me at all. Again it's just about finding that job that has decent pay so the rent gets covered and I can have somewhat of a social life and save some without living hand to mouth. i know it all depends on luck to a point and the hours you want to put in, not only teaching but travelling to and from the job / jobs etc... I don't have a TEFL qualification but from what I read online that is not a deal breaker as there is somewhat a shortage of teachers but I guess it may have a baring on your salary but we shall see. I'm going to be ramping up the effort this week and getting CVs out and what not but my mind is pretty set on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Mod note: Moving to Teaching Abroad forum for more answers. That forum's charter now applies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Let me know how you get on. I'd be curious to see what's out there. PM if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Strumms wrote: »
    Hi seachto7, thanks for the reply. Yes Paris isn't a deal breaker to set up somewhere else would work too. I was thinking Paris as I already know the city very well and it has a strong Irish community there and probably more opportunities but working elsewhere wouldn't bother me at all. Again it's just about finding that job that has decent pay so the rent gets covered and I can have somewhat of a social life and save some without living hand to mouth. i know it all depends on luck to a point and the hours you want to put in, not only teaching but travelling to and from the job / jobs etc... I don't have a TEFL qualification but from what I read online that is not a deal breaker as there is somewhat a shortage of teachers but I guess it may have a baring on your salary but we shall see. I'm going to be ramping up the effort this week and getting CVs out and what not but my mind is pretty set on it.

These days, it's quite difficult to get work without a TEFL qualification, especially in Europe. I'd look into doing a CELTA before making any plans to move over.

I've known two qualified EFL teachers who worked in Paris, the pay wasn't great, but it's doable. Neither were able to save money, but they were able to rent, go out for inexpensive meals and drinks, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Going to hold off and start a CELTA in the new year. Best to jump in with the qualification which might open one or two more doors and help with salary negotiations etc. Thanks for the advice.

Also still keen to hear from any more people teaching over there ahead of making the move :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Hey. I worked as an English language assistant/teacher in France (Near Toulouse). However, I went through the language assistant program organised through the French Embassy in Dublin as my degree was in French and was eligible for it. Basically I was employed by the French government to give classes in a secondary school in spoken English. But, I did do some freelance work in my town in the local university. I am also CELT TEFL qualified.

To be honest, IMO, France does not have the same drive like Italy and Spain to learn English from native speakers. While being native English speaking doesn't mean you're the best teacher, you do miss out on the cultural experience and natural pronunciation and different TEFL liberal teaching methods. A lot of English teachers would be French with the highest academic qualifications to teach it, in the public sector anyway. You can go on TEFL websites but you rarely see English Teaching Jobs except the Turner language centre at times on tefl.com.

Having said that, there are big companies like Berlitz and Wall Street English that do look for teachers on site but they can be hard work. One of my friends had to drive to different parts of Toulouse for in company English classes.

A lot of English teachers do register as self employed (autonome/auto-entreprise, something like that) and just declare to the tax office their earnings.

If you have any further questions, let me know. Bonne chance

Advertisement