Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6s 64gb sim free

• 11-12-2015 6:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

im hoping to buy one next week, preferably sim free and with the option of insuring it.

I've had geek squad insurance and know they're good to deal with, never had a problem with them but Carphone warehouse don't sell them sim free or even pay as you go.

If I get it through Vodafone they said they won't be able to insure it they only insure bill phones.

Any other options available?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

kceire wrote: »

I need to take out insurance that will cover me in case it's robbed etc so where can I get that? Applecare only cover accidental damage etc

d-redser wrote: »
    I need to take out insurance that will cover me in case it's robbed etc so where can I get that? Applecare only cover accidental damage etc

Add it to your house insurance. I have all my gadgets included, 2xiphones, 2xipads and it even covers my camera, laptop etc

kceire wrote: »
    Add it to your house insurance. I have all my gadgets included, 2xiphones, 2xipads and it even covers my camera, laptop etc

They don't cover iPhones or iPads. Plus excess is €275.

They don't cover iPhones or iPads. Plus excess is €275.

Agh sh1t that's crappy.
    Mine is a non excess of the items.

• Advertisement

Tell me about it!

I can get th phone straight from Apple, with the added bonus if it being unlocked but I need the insurance.

Or I can get the phone from Vodafone but they won't insure it unless it's with a contract. WTF?

Are there any other good insurers? Would prefer geek insurance but CW don't have it as payg :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Just google 'gadget insurance' and there's tons of choices

smash wrote: »
    Just google 'gadget insurance' and there's tons of choices

I've looked into the main gadget insurers but they're not great and reading Facebook comments from their customers on their page says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Technique

I've got a uFirst Gold Current Account with Ulster Bank. There is a €14 monthly charge, but I get free mobile phone insurance, free family travel insurance, cheaper mortgage, money back on Ticketmaster purchases etc.

Might be worth a switch if you're already getting your wages paid into a current account.

Technique wrote: »
    I've got a uFirst Gold Current Account with Ulster Bank. There is a €14 monthly charge, but I get free mobile phone insurance, free family travel insurance, cheaper mortgage, money back on Ticketmaster purchases etc.

Might be worth a switch if you're already getting your wages paid into a current account.

I'll have a look at that later. Never hear of it before. Have you ever had to deal with their insurance before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Technique

Actually don't have my phone insured with them. :o

From what I remember, you have to register your phone with them and keep the proof of purchase.

I got Travel Insurance through the account and it was pretty easily done over the phone.

There have been a few threads on Boards about the account benefits, so maybe have a search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

If you're happy getting the phone locked to a network from car phone warehouse it might be worth asking around if they will sell it to you and mention that you want to get geek squad on it, they make more money from a prepay with geek squad attached than they do from a bill pay without insurance, Ufirst gold in closed to new subs I believe

pogsick wrote: »
    If you're happy getting the phone locked to a network from car phone warehouse it might be worth asking around if they will sell it to you and mention that you want to get geek squad on it, they make more money from a prepay with geek squad attached than they do from a bill pay without insurance, Ufirst gold in closed to new subs I believe
    m

I checked that option out with CW but was told they only make €15 per locked payg phone whereas they make €300 on the same phone with a contract. I was told 3 shops still have one left in stock around Dublin but it's up to the manager to sell it as a payg phone. Ffs I feel like banging my head off the wall st this stage!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

Technique wrote: »

Ufirst not available anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

This looks good to me. Excess is €75 which isn't bad considering the phone costs nearly a grand http://ie.protectyourbubble.com/gadget-insurance/get-quote.html

• Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Read the T+Cs carefully. I bought mine SIM free and looked at the insurance options but they just aren't worth it with all the clauses they have where they won't pay out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

m

I checked that option out with CW but was told they only make €15 per locked payg phone whereas they make €300 on the same phone with a contract. I was told 3 shops still have one left in stock around Dublin but it's up to the manager to sell it as a payg phone. Ffs I feel like banging my head off the wall st this stage!!

Well id mention to the manager that you're getting geek, I worked there a few years ago and that was he only way we'd sell an iPhone payg

pogsick wrote: »
    Well id mention to the manager that you're getting geek, I worked there a few years ago and that was he only way we'd sell an iPhone payg

Got it! Asked if they had the phone first (didn't mention if it was payg or contract) and then told them it was for payg and with geek. Happy out now! They'd only one left and of course it was in the only colour I didn't like but meh I'll learn to re-like it!

Thanks for all yer replies btw

Advertisement