Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first timer

Options
  • 11-12-2015 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Hey guys!(apologies in advance for any spelling/grammar errors)

So a friend recommend i ask advice here (i think i've wrecked his head with questions)

Basically its my first time seriously considering to build my own computer. I think firstly i should give a brief description of why i want it. basically it would be a dedicated gaming computer. i already have a monitor that i wont be replacing anytime soon. its 1080 and has a 144mhz refresh rate. so ill hardly be looking for 4k gaming graphics but would like fps rates to be at least in the 60 region and would be very happy with 80/90. With that in mind ive done a fair bit of research and online and it seems to me when you want quality over price you go intel/nvidia rather than amd which is what ive done with this build:

Intel core i7-6700k 4.0 ghz quad core processor
    Asus GeForce Strix GTX970 4gd5
    MSI b150M Bazooka-socket 1151
    Kingston hyper xfury 8gb ddr4 ram-2133mhz
    Intel Liquid cooling solution TS13x 120mm(i was given the impression when buying intel you are best sticking with an intel cooler if you want best overclocking potential...is this correct? at their where cheaper but still good brand/quality options)
    Kingston SSD v300 120gb(im keeping it smaller/cheaper as ill really only be booting os and a bare couple of games that are heavy on load screens)
    Western Digital black 1tb hard drive (from what i understand of western digitals color scheme this seems to be the best drive type to go for when it comes to games)
    Cooler master gm series g550m 550 watt
    Cooler master k380 midi tower

So anyway ive tinkered a bit to get to this point in the build . I had originally intended to drop between 2k-2.3k on a hexa core build with a 980 ti. but further reading has led me to believe that this is a little bit of over kill considering i can only max out at 1080 and i am happy to have fps of between 60/80.

Ive tried to walk a fine line between quality and price. My other half is worried when it comes to spending 2k+ on something which is reasonable so im trying to reduce the cost as much as possible and this build is setting me back around 1400. Would this actually play most games 1080 with ultra details and 60+fps? or do i need to consider a bigger gpu. Im also worried about sticking with a quad core rather than going with a new hexa core as a friend is pushing fairly hard about how great his is but im really not sure its as important when it comes to gaming. Don't get me wrong i know a ****ty dual core celeron processor wont cut it but my current option seems to be the next best thing to a hexa core.

So boardsies.....opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

sierra117x wrote: »
    Hey guys!(apologies in advance for any spelling/grammar errors)

So a friend recommend i ask advice here (i think i've wrecked his head with questions)

Basically its my first time seriously considering to build my own computer. I think firstly i should give a brief description of why i want it. basically it would be a dedicated gaming computer. i already have a monitor that i wont be replacing anytime soon. its 1080 and has a 144mhz refresh rate. so ill hardly be looking for 4k gaming graphics but would like fps rates to be at least in the 60 region and would be very happy with 80/90. With that in mind ive done a fair bit of research and online and it seems to me when you want quality over price you go intel/nvidia rather than amd which is what ive done with this build:

Intel core i7-6700k 4.0 ghz quad core processor
    Asus GeForce Strix GTX970 4gd5
    MSI b150M Bazooka-socket 1151
    Kingston hyper xfury 8gb ddr4 ram-2133mhz
    Intel Liquid cooling solution TS13x 120mm(i was given the impression when buying intel you are best sticking with an intel cooler if you want best overclocking potential...is this correct? at their where cheaper but still good brand/quality options)
    Kingston SSD v300 120gb(im keeping it smaller/cheaper as ill really only be booting os and a bare couple of games that are heavy on load screens)
    Western Digital black 1tb hard drive (from what i understand of western digitals color scheme this seems to be the best drive type to go for when it comes to games)
    Cooler master gm series g550m 550 watt
    Cooler master k380 midi tower

So anyway ive tinkered a bit to get to this point in the build . I had originally intended to drop between 2k-2.3k on a hexa core build with a 980 ti. but further reading has led me to believe that this is a little bit of over kill considering i can only max out at 1080 and i am happy to have fps of between 60/80.

Ive tried to walk a fine line between quality and price. My other half is worried when it comes to spending 2k+ on something which is reasonable so im trying to reduce the cost as much as possible and this build is setting me back around 1400. Would this actually play most games 1080 with ultra details and 60+fps? or do i need to consider a bigger gpu. Im also worried about sticking with a quad core rather than going with a new hexa core as a friend is pushing fairly hard about how great his is but im really not sure its as important when it comes to gaming. Don't get me wrong i know a ****ty dual core celeron processor wont cut it but my current option seems to be the next best thing to a hexa core.

So boardsies.....opinions?

Looks pretty solid. Only 2 observations Kingston aren't the best regarded for ssds because they changed a drive to a slower spec after it had good benchmarks and reviews at a better spec. Take a look at Samsung or some of the others. Second no need for a liquid cooler more expensive and not really anu more effective than the stock cooler. Even if overclocking an air cooler would be better value for money unless doing a custom watercooling loop but that's a whole other conversation and you'd be back up around 2k then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭sierra117x

Ant695 wrote: »
    Looks pretty solid. Only 2 observations Kingston aren't the best regarded for ssds because they changed a drive to a slower spec after it had good benchmarks and reviews at a better spec. Take a look at Samsung or some of the others. Second no need for a liquid cooler more expensive and not really anu more effective than the stock cooler. Even if overclocking an air cooler would be better value for money unless doing a custom watercooling loop but that's a whole other conversation and you'd be back up around 2k then.

yeah see this is why i wanted to come here. I naturally assumed the most expensive cooler would be the best option to go for. When you stock cooler do you mean one that comes with the processor or do you mean just a more basic model of processor?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

There are a few things wrong with this. (Good first go though, way better than my first build list. :P)

6700K is kinda overkill. You can go with the unlocked i5 and get basically the same performance in all games.
    Good choice with the GPU, though I'd go with MSI or EVGA. As their coolers are a little better than ASUS' one.
    You'll need a Z170 motherboard if you want to overclock. Look at ASRock for best price/performance.
    Dunno what that RAM's like, but basically all (consumer-grade) RAM is created equal these days. Just get whatever's cheap - and if it's important to you, looks nice.
    Nope, don't have to stick with Intel here. I haven't kept up with AIOs so I'll leave the recommendation to someone else, but Corsair, Cooler Master, even EK have their own now.
    Go bigger with the SSD. Trust me on this. I'm running 256+960GB now. All SSD. Best decision I ever made.
    Don't bother with a Black drive. Next to SSDs hard drives are all equally bad. Just get a Blue, or a Red if you'd like something a little more reliable.
    Not sure on that specific PSU. As long as it's Bronze-rated at least it'll be fine. Maybe have a google around to see if it's decently quiet.
    Again, don't know that specific case, but I'd recommend maybe picking up some third-party case fans. Usually the ones that comes with cases are pretty bad, unless you go with something from the likes of BeQuiet or Fractal Design.

With that budget, have a look at a nice mechanical keyboard. Might be of interest.

Hope that's of some help. Feel free to keep the questions coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

No need in a hexa core processor, by the time quads are obsolete hexa cores are going to be off the cutting edge.

As said, a quad i5 is loads. You could knock a little off by going with a Haswell i5 and put some more into the GPU or a bigger SSD, my HDD is only for downloading stupidly large torrents.

By the time Haswell is obsolete, Skylake will be too so I wouldn't worry there.

Wouldn't bother with a liquid CPU cooler, go air or a full water cooling loop.

At this budget you may as well hit a SeaSonic PSU, they're the top dog regards PSUs, a 500w is loads.

A 390 might be a good call as opposed to the 970, they're a bit cheaper and outperform them afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭sierra117x

Thanks for the advice guys. next big ask would be best place to buy all these components. The reason i selected that particular model of the gtx970 was it was the only one komplett had.
    Komplett was just used as a sort of base when i was assembling everything to get a rough idea on price etc. I'll be searching a few different places to try and get the best deal i can money wise

Thanks for all the help guys i appreciate it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Mind factory, computer universe, amazon or alternate

Advertisement