Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to get tough meat tender

Options
  • 11-12-2015 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

Bought some stewing beef and it's too chewy.

If I stew it for 3 or 4 hours will this be enough to soften it?

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Soak it overnight in grapefruit /paw paw/ pineapple juice. Drain and dry before use. You won't taste the juice but the enzymes in it will break down the protein strands in the meat making it more tender

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

duploelabs wrote: »
    Soak it overnight in grapefruit /paw paw/ pineapple juice. Drain and dry before use. You won't taste the juice but the enzymes in it will break down the protein strands in the meat making it more tender

Top tip. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think those have to be freshly squeezed juices. Stuff in cartons is heat treated and I heard they do not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

rubadub wrote: »
    I think those have to be freshly squeezed juices. Stuff in cartons is heat treated and I heard they do not work.

It's the whole stuff you've to look for, not the 'made from concentrate' stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I guess if one then wanted to avoid wasting the juice it could be cooked into a sweet and sour sauce or some such?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

duploelabs wrote: »
    It's the whole stuff you've to look for, not the 'made from concentrate' stuff
    The "not from concentrate" cartons would also be heat treated. In M&S I once got a bottle of very short life pressed apple juice (not being sold off, it was supposedly pressed less than 48hrs ago), but I think it was even pasteurised, or some term like "lightly pasteruised". You could really tell the difference, a real zing to it.

M&S also have cartoned pressed juice and it tastes nothing like it.

The tenderizing bit is meant to be more concentrated in the pineapple core. So I suppose if you got fresh ones you could liquidise the core and freeze it as it would be thrown out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Cook it in a slow cooker. 6-8 hours, always comes out tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

Cook it in a pressure cooker. It'll be fall off the fork in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

3-4 hours should be plenty I often get rib steak for stews and initially it is tough but cooked but after 2-3 hours it is tender.

the connective tissue in the meat needs that amount of time to dissolve into the stew and become yummy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Slow cook for a few hours on normal hob.
    If you've a slow cooker, even better.5-6 hours

• Advertisement
Advertisement