Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice restaurants?

Options
  • 11-12-2015 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Evening fellow members,

I am looking to bring the other half out for a meal for her birthday somewhere in Galway city centre.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks lads

PS She isn't really into indian/chinese food if that helps. :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

High Cafe is excellent, Hooked is fantastic if you want fish, or if you fancy Japanese, Kappa-ya is incredible and very authentic. Really depends on what you're into.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Budget?
    Style?

You say no Indian or Chinese - what about French, Thai, Italian? Or did you really mean no ethnic options? In which case, I'd suggest McSwiggans, who cater very well for the unadventurous palate.

Hooked is great, but I'm not sure if it's everyone's idea of a special birthday meal. The stream of people getting their takeways makes it feel not so restauranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Brassierie on the corner
    Cava
    Aniar
    Nimmos
    Loam

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Oscar's is always worth a look of you like seafood.

RAW sushi in Radisson is pretty good if you like sushi. Bit overpriced for what you get imo but it's a very nice restaurant and feels a bit special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Kai, Ard Bia, Cava are all excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Budget?
    Style?

You say no Indian or Chinese - what about French, Thai, Italian? Or did you really mean no ethnic options? In which case, I'd suggest McSwiggans, who cater very well for the unadventurous palate.

Hooked is great, but I'm not sure if it's everyone's idea of a special birthday meal. The stream of people getting their takeways makes it feel not so restauranty.

I'd pay up to €70. Anything European/South & central American is fine, she doesn't fancy Asian too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

Kai if you've never been before.Simply the best restaurant in Galway city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Nemanrio wrote: »
    I'd pay up to €70. Anything European/South & central American is fine, she doesn't fancy Asian too much.

Is that per person or total?

Cava, Kai and Ard Bia are all excellent. Oscars for seafood. Loam or Aniar for some Fine Dining

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

For a "nice" restaurant I'd be thinking more like 100 but that would be including a bottle of wine. Things are a lot cheaper without booze.

We went to Petite Poi recently which has 2 and 3 courses with or without wine pairings within OP's budget. A delicious, unpretentious, friendly night out. I see they're #2 on Tripadviser, well deserved.

• Advertisement

Venice is within your budget.

I think Cooke's is, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

cooperguy wrote: »
    Is that per person or total?

Cava, Kai and Ard Bia are all excellent. Oscars for seafood. Loam or Aniar for some Fine Dining

Total, wine is a rip off in the vast majority of Irish restaurants so should be fine. on that front.

70 total for two might not be enough in some of the mentioned places.
    Check their various menues online.

Vina Mara and Malt House are also good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

biko wrote: »
    70 total for two might not be enough in some of the mentioned places.
    Check their various menues online.

Vina Mara and Malt House are also good.

If it's Mon-Wed, Vina Mara do amazing deals on mains, and you'd easily do it for under your budget OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

We ate in Vina Mara last week, id steer clear OP, very average/poor on all fronts. For the budget you have id go with Quay St Kitchen, Tribeton or Massimo(great food).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,127 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Could it be possible that some restaurants do excellent some nights but poorly on other nights depending on which chef is on duty that night?

We ate in Vina Mara last week, id steer clear OP, very average/poor on all fronts. For the budget you have id go with Quay St Kitchen, Tribeton or Massimo(great food).

In Massimo the other night and while some of the grub was tasty I do find it a bit overpriced for pub grub and staff seem very wearied and a little grumpy (tis the season I suppose).
    I've no affiliation Vina Mara them but I eat there nearly once a week as a friend works a few doors down. We've consistently had good food all year, so I wonder if this was a one off for you? Did you have bad service? My only annoyance was when a loud party was in and spoiled the atmosphere and service was slower but that was an exception. I've eaten much of the menu selection at this point and still stand by the fact that for 10 euro for a main dish, you'd be hard pushed to get that quality elsewhere (mon-wed! ;) )

Please see point 8 in charter.
    Just because food didn't suit person A there is nothing to say it won't suit person B.
    Stay with recommendations only and let others make their own minds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Thai Garden early bird is the best deal in town in my opinion. 4 courses for around €17. You'll be able to have wine/beer too and still come under budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

inisboffin wrote: »
    In Massimo the other night and while some of the grub was tasty I do find it a bit overpriced for pub grub and staff seem very wearied and a little grumpy (tis the season I suppose).
    I've no affiliation Vina Mara them but I eat there nearly once a week as a friend works a few doors down. We've consistently had good food all year, so I wonder if this was a one off for you? Did you have bad service? My only annoyance was when a loud party was in and spoiled the atmosphere and service was slower but that was an exception. I've eaten much of the menu selection at this point and still stand by the fact that for 10 euro for a main dish, you'd be hard pushed to get that quality elsewhere (mon-wed! ;) )

Chowder tasted like cream, very little in it too. Chunky chips were in fact skinny fries. A chicken curry which Id describe as poorer than the Gbc, Turkey and ham with what tasted like bisto or definitely a shop bought gravy. I definitely will be giving it a wide berth in future. Previously had two good meals in there in the last cupla years.

• Advertisement

Chowder tasted like cream, very little in it too. Chunky chips were in fact skinny fries. A chicken curry which Id describe as poorer than the Gbc, Turkey and ham with what tasted like bisto or definitely a shop bought gravy. I definitely will be giving it a wide berth in future. Previously had two good meals in there in the last cupla years.

Fair enough but 2 good out of 3 is still good odds and personally I wouldn't avoid a place after one bad meal. As I said I've eaten there dozens of times over the last year.
    Disclosure: Ive only eaten there weekdays so not sure if chef is the same
    Mainly came in to say we ate there tonight too and it was top notch. They do fish really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

inisboffin wrote: »
    I've no affiliation Vina Mara them but I eat there nearly once a week as a friend works a few doors down. We've consistently had good food all year, so I wonder if this was a one off for you?
    I have reservations with the missus for Friday so I'm glad you chimed in. I haven't eaten there in a couple of years but a lot can change in that time. Most recent reviews on Tripadviser still positive with owner actively reading each and responding. Perhaps Ben should post his review there so they get the feedback. Hoping it was a one-off, probably happens more often this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

Does anyone recommend The Latin Quarter Bistro & Wine Bar. It seems to be highly rated on Tripadviser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Venice is within your budget.

I think Cooke's is, too.

+1 to Venice. Nice Italian restaurant.

Does anyone recommend The Latin Quarter Bistro & Wine Bar. It seems to be highly rated on Tripadviser.

I suspect most of us who live here have just looked at the name and location and assumed "tourist-ville, best avoided" - I know Mr OBumble and I have. So lack of recommendations on boards isn't necessarily a bad thing, in this case.

Martines on Quay street is definitively worth a visit, they do lovely steaks (have great selection too) and have an excellent pulled pork burger among other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

Bar number 1 at the docks is fantastic & very reasonably priced

Notch000 wrote: »
    Bar number 1 at the docks is fantastic & very reasonably priced

Just to be pedantic, the pub underneath is called Dock 1. The restaurant on top is called O'Conaire's on the Docks.

There used to be Bar 8 just up the road, but it's now called Nova(?) doing a sit-down Asian street food thing (very similar to Lana).

Never been a Bar 1, AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

There used to be Bar 8 just up the road, but it's now called Nova(?) doing a sit-down Asian street food thing (very similar to Lana).

I think it's called Neo? Nova is on the corner across from The Beirhaus, formerly a horrendously tacky gay bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

If it's the other half you're bringing, Rouge is certainly somewhere to consider. Food is very good, atmosphere will earn you some brownie points too!

Fixed menu of starter selection and steak/fish/vegetarian for €19.

Advertisement