Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice restaurants?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

ned14 wrote: »
    If it's the other half you're bringing, Rouge is certainly somewhere to consider. Food is very good, atmosphere will earn you some brownie points too!

Fixed menu of starter selection and steak/fish/vegetarian for €19.

Yeah completely agree, I think Rouge is exactly what the OP is looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I'm ready to give up on Rouge, we've had too many "off" nights and their prices have risen to be as much as better options.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

I'm ready to give up on Rouge, we've had too many "off" nights and their prices have risen to be as much as better options.

I've had an occasion where the steak was cooked French style (i.e. Ordered medium, got medium rare), but that's the sum total of my bad experiences there and been 7-8 times at this stage. I would recommend going when it's quieter, like anywhere the service is generally better then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I think High Cafe would be my general go-to recommendation, they've got a great menu, with quite a lot of different styles of dishes, be it pastas, pizza, burgers, fish and chips, or the excellent Moroccan fare. The marinated lamb skewers are absolutely amazing, the side dips even include habenero sauce which is really something. Must try the koftas or a Moroccan stew next time, they look really good.

Personally, I go there for the Moroccan dishes, but if that's not your thing, there's so much more, and its really good. The fish and chips were great, and I have friends who swear by the burgers. Prices are great too, some of the best value you can get in the city centre by far.

I am the same for Kai which people rave about. 2 great nights & 2 "off" nights.
    Rouge is usually good (easy menu I suppose) and the atmosphere is really nice. Perfect for couples.

I do love the High Café too but I doubt it would impress a partner for a special night out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

The black cat in salthill is fantastic. Might be a bit out of the way but you can have a nice walk on the prom when you're finished your meal.

Alcoheda wrote: »
    The black cat in salthill is fantastic. Might be a bit out of the way but you can have a nice walk on the prom when you're finished your meal.

Agreed. Great tapas. The Office pub a few doors down has a lovely pint too.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭weshtawake

Where is the High Cafe???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

weshtawake wrote: »
    Where is the High Cafe???

Above the Bunch of Grapes on high street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

Just to be pedantic, the pub underneath is called Dock 1. The restaurant on top is called O'Conaire's on the Docks.

There used to be Bar 8 just up the road, but it's now called Nova(?) doing a sit-down Asian street food thing (very similar to Lana).

Never been a Bar 1, AFAIK.

Neo is very nice but I woudent realy call it a ''restaurant'' more of a causal dinning experience / take away. much nicer grub than Lana (but lanas not bad either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Thanks for all the replies.

I went Cava & the tapas were simply delicious. Service was very good & the place was packed. Great city. :cool:

Advertisement