Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To saaz or not to saaz...

Options
  • 12-12-2015 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

So I've a craft range Irish red ale kit fermenting away at the mo and I also have some saaz hop pellets leftover from an extract wit bier I did... I was wondering would it be awful if I dry hopped the red ale with the saaz? I know it wouldn't be to style or anything but I find Irish red ales a little bland anyway, maybe this would kick it up a notch? I'm scared I'll ruin it, and my previous batch got infected, so the pressure is on for this one! Any advice gratefully accepted!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Go for it, but make sure the hops are weighed down.
    I dry hopped with them and air got at the hops and the beer was awfully grassy. blond ale with a great head, looked like commercial pint, undrinkable though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

I know we all say "I'm never drinking again" when in the middle of a bad hangover, but have you ever made a decision not to get drunk again? Do you think the hangovers are worth it for the nights out you've had? Or are you one of those absolute bastards who can still wake up at 8 and go for a run after you've been on the razz the night before?!!

If anyone wants to bring me a bowl of stew and a pint of milk I'll PM you my address

Sterilised marbles in bag with hopps suspended within floss

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anthonyvbyrne

I'd add the saaz. I agree that Irish ale is very bland. I've a question though, how do you know when a beer is 'off'. I am drinking a 'celebration Belgian'. Which showed all the signs of being a fabulous beer, It's strong dark, and lively, but it tastes horrible. But I don't know if that's the way it's supposed to taste.
    It fermented well, and holds a head for 5 or 10 minutes ...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bigjohnnykeats

As regards knowing when a beer is bad I'm no expert but the one batch I had which was defo infected tasted like a cross between sour grapefruit juice and vinegar. You literally couldn't have it in your mouth. Fermented really quick and had a bottle explode after two days carbonating. 😭

Advertisement