Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity leave or One Parent Family payment?

Options
  • 12-12-2015 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

I hope this is the right section and someone could help/advise me. I'm currently pregnant with my first child, I'm single as I split with my partner before I found out I was pregnant. I work full time from July this year and I'm still on probation period which will be finished in January. I still didn't inform my employer but I will do it after my first scan when I'm absolutely sure I'm out of danger zone of miscarriage. I know I am entitled to 26 weeks maternity leave and I will have to go back to work after that time. Unfortunately I have no family here nor any friends that could help me, I can't count on my ex partner because he claims he is still in shock and needs time...(oh god right...). I read about One parent family payment and this could enable me to get back to work part time and with this payment I could manage to care for myself and the baby alone. I'm not sure how it works though. I read that I have to apply for this payment within 3 months from the date the baby was born but then I will be on maternity leave... Should I apply while being on maternity leave? What do I put on the form in section ''Are you employed" because technically I will be employed but I won't be receiving any money from my company...a bit confusing. Do I use all of my maternity leave, go back to work part time and then apply for OPFP? But then it will be more than months after the baby was born... I'm really confused here... Pls help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You are deemed employed until the day you hand in your notice. This should be 4 weeks before the end of your maternity. Your place of work should then pay you for any outstanding holidays and bank holidays.

Apply for mat benefit as soon as possible, I'm not sure if you'll be eligible, is based on the year before you have your baby.

If not you will be on jsa from the day you leave work, you would have to stay on this until you are moved to one parents.

3 months after baby is born apply for one parents.

If you return to work and earn less than 505euro per week, you may get fis, If you could employ a childminder, you might be able to keep your job.

Good luck, try meet up with other parents parenting alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

OP on Monday you should either call to your local Citizens Information Office or phone them to get advice
    As you were not married to the father of your child you don't have to wait 3 months to apply for OPFP
    it is possible for you to get OPFP and FIS if you go back to work part time when your Maternity Benefit ends
    CIC will also advise you re ensuring that the father of your child steps up financially
    He doesn't need any time
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for all the responses guys. The thing is that I don't want to quit my job. I want to get back right after maternity leave just part time as I will not be able to afford neither creche nor childminder on full time basis. I was wondering how the process looks like. I can inform my work place that I will be back part time and there will be no problem on their part, I can choose how many hours and days I want to work. Even now working full time I earn way below 505 pw. Have all the necessary contributions so I know I am eligible. I'm not married and unfortunately won't be able to count on child support from the father :( . If I apply straight away for one parent payment wouldn't I be obliged to get back to work even if my maternity leave isn't finished? Or will they just transfer me to one parent family payment when my maternity ends? Sorry about so many questions but I'm looking for as much info as I can because I work all days and have no time to go to citizens information and I was hoping that maybe someone was in this situation and could shed some light on the practical side of this process. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

When your baby is born go to court to get an agreement for maintenance done he has a responsibility to help financially towards your baby, but when you apply for One Parent they will need proof or they will go after him for it anyway.. Also you can work part time and get A lesser amount of One Parent Family I worked last year was getting 380 a week and still was entitled to 60 euros per week for my One Parent. Also once you work more then 19.5 hours fortnightly you can apply for FIS on top on OPFP and your also entitled to One Parent Tax Credits while working :)

Advertisement