Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What safe?

Options
  • 12-12-2015 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

So, in all likelihood, I will have 2 scoped rifles and 1 shotgun. I don't intend to have a large collection. I am looking at safes and I reckon a 4 gun safe will be adequate. There doesn't seem to be a lot of choice out there, but I am looking at two models and was looking for opinions on these, or linked, lriced opinions and recommendations on others.

A) Buffalo River 4 gun safe. €179. Cant find exact dimensions, so have no depth measurement.

B) Warmflow 4 gun safe. €195. Is 330mm deep for scoped rifles.

I found them both in shops with free delivery.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Heavy handed

I've the buffalo river one and it's not really suitable for scoped rifles. I've two scoped rifles and a shotgun in mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

I have to buffalo river safe. Problem I find is the door only opens 90 degrees which is a pain for getting the rifle in and out. I also added a shelf to mine for ammo etc and a block of heavy foam to the base with the shape of the stock cut out of it. This stops the rifle rotating under its own weight and banging the scope off the back wall of the safe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

I have the 4 gun warmflow safe and have 3 scoped rifles in it still room for another

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I see. So, the buffalo river ones don't really seem to be as described, where the warmflow ones are getting a fair review. Seems to be the same sentiment elsewhere too. I think it will be warmflow, but i will hold off for more feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

Gun Safes come usually in two depths....the deeper one to accomodate scoped rifles.

I have a gun safe (not the deeper one) for shotgun for years.

When I purchased a rifle it will not fit straight in ......has to be turned slightly sideways as safe s not deep enough.

I didn't bother changing it as it works fine for me. It's a 4 gun safe & I've 2 shotguns & a scoped rifle in it ....so there is room for the rifle sideways...but that's it...nothing else would fit in.

There is also a difference between a gun safe (much thicker door) and a gun cabinet (thinner metal door) which is also reflected in price. Some mix this up and confuse the two or are not aware of the difference.

I would not buy a safe without looking at it first...see how deep it is... how the door opens back.....do the locks feel secure, robust, comfortable etc.

If viewing in a shop bring a cardboard cut-out of your rifle with scope...this will be a great help when deciding.

Once purchased you will probably have this for the rest of your shooting life...buy once & buy right!!

When purchased do a search here for secure safe installation.....some great tips given to make your safe secure and more difficult for intruders to interfere with.

• Advertisement

J.R. wrote: »
    Gun Safes come usually in two depths....the deeper one to accomodate scoped rifles.

I have a gun safe (not the deeper one) for shotgun for years.

When I purchased a rifle it will not fit straight in ......has to be turned slightly sideways as safe s not deep enough.

I didn't bother changing it as it works fine for me. It's a 4 gun safe & I've 2 shotguns & a scoped rifle in it ....so there is room for the rifle sideways...but that's it...nothing else would fit in.

There is also a difference between a gun safe (much thicker door) and a gun cabinet (thinner metal door) which is also reflected in price. Some mix this up and confuse the two or are not aware of the difference.

I would not buy a safe without looking at it first...see how deep it is... how the door opens back.....do the locks feel secure, robust, comfortable etc.

If viewing in a shop bring a cardboard cut-out of your rifle with scope...this will be a great help when deciding.

Once purchased you will probably have this for the rest of your shooting life...buy once & buy right!!

When purchased do a search here for secure safe installation.....some great tips given to make your safe secure and more difficult for intruders to interfere with.

Thanks for that J.R.

Are the gun cabinets acceptable? The warmflow is a cabinet and says it's approved etc. It's also more expensive the 4 gun safe by buffalo river and the two terms seem very liquid

Any opinions on infac safes?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

goz83 wrote: »
    Any opinions on infac safes?

They tend to be of thicker construction, 3mm where as many gun safes are only 2mm. However this is reflected in the price.

2011 wrote: »
    They tend to be of thicker construction, 3mm where as many gun safes are only 2mm. However this is reflected in the price.

I just received an email form infac. I was asking about the BP4 price. He said they carry the BPT4 in stock and that it is the one with the internal ammo safe. The front plate is 2mm thick and the price is €265 delivered. The supposed bonus is the ammo safe inside, but I have a separate safe anyway I could use for ammo. I thought picking a safe would be easy!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

goz83 wrote: »
    I just received an email form infac. I was asking about the BP4 price. He said they carry the BPT4 in stock and that it is the one with the internal ammo safe. The front plate is 2mm thick and the price is €265 delivered. The supposed bonus is the ammo safe inside, but I have a separate safe anyway I could use for ammo. I thought picking a safe would be easy!

Fair enough. All of the Infac safes I have seen are 3mm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If your gunsafe claims that it is a 4 gun safe, it really isn't. They always hold less guns than they claim. If I had four guns, I'd get an eight gun safe. That way you aren't banging guns and clattering scopes when you are putting them in and taking them out.

Actually, if I had the money and space, I'd get one of these.

e0f17f8cd738fe9ba47a70daff2f96ff.jpg

:pac:

All in good time. I know the whole "buy once, buy right" shouldnbe seriously considered, but I will start with a shotgun and a rifle and then may add a rifle. If i decide to expand my collection, I will then look into a bigger safe.

I think i see a gold colt 1911 in that safe. Sweet. I Happen to own one.....but its a bb gun :p

Advertisement