Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Till short - will this affect my chances of turning xmas job permanent ?

Options
  • 12-12-2015 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I work in a major retail store as a retail assistant. My duties are tills and filling out the floor.

On my till last week I was down €10. My HR manager called me to her office, and she couldn't of been nicer about it. She said it's only €10, it's not big deal, just be more careful in future.

Out of 20 of us hired, only 4/5 are till trained I'm one, I also work around 27 hours a week with 3 of them full days.

We were told someone of us will be kept on, if we were good enough after Christmas.

Do you think my till being short will affect my chances of getting this job made permanent.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Might be worth offering to refund them the €10 from your wages to demonstrate how much you want the opportunity of a permanent job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Might be worth offering to refund them the €10 from your wages to demonstrate how much you want the opportunity of a permanent job?

I did and all, but they said that's not what we do here. Just to be more careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I know the retailer you work for and they wouldn't take it back from wages. They're nice like that.

As far as I remember, it's a three strike system with shortages.

However, it shouldn't mess up your chances because they know mistakes are made with new staff and once the staff member doesn't do it again, it should be fine.

Just make sure to double check change you give and if it doesn't happen again, you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭SparrowHawk

You haven't said if your business does this or not, but also count your till before you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I'd be surprised if they held a once off error against you. Just make sure it doesn't happen again and I'd say you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

My experience in retail, €10 wouldn't be a big deal. I don't think it'll be held against you as long as you're doing a good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

My experience in retail, €10 wouldn't be a big deal. I don't think it'll be held against you as long as you're doing a good job.

Other than that I have been a great employee. I have never been late, always early an start my shift a few minutes early. I'm friendly, presentable, do my work to a high standard. I get on with my managers, and colleagues. I am normally in the mens section, but never complain when i'm moved.

The reason i think this happened is i only get 4 hours sleep the night before, as i stayed up to finish a project. I was in college all day before work as well, so it easily could of happened.

Advertisement