Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IFAS calendar 2016 free download

Options
  • 12-12-2015 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi all,

With the almost persistent rain recently I was thinking we should do a cloud calendar rather than an astronomy one ;) However, we now have the 2016 IFAS calendar finished and it is freely available to download at the link below (265k pdf).

IFAS calendar 2016 download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x7jbrfxgiruv1wq/astro_calendar_2016_free.pdf?dl=1

The calendar has been made available free because of a number of delays in getting it to the printing stage. Rather than it being too late in everyone's hands for 2016 I proposed to the IFAS Committee that it be put up free online. At some point we may get to print copies and include the photos submitted for inclusion. The photos are not in the pdf edition because of copyright and also I feel it would be unfair to the contributors to include their photos without advance notice of the decision to give away the calendar.

I have put a few hundred hours (voluntary) work into the calendar and did not want to see it not available by January 1st, 2016, hence any decision to place it online is really mine, and mine alone.

Feel free to add any comments though on the decision made.

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

I didn't download it yet but....Get it printed John, a calendar with no pics ain't a calendar.

My thoughts on it anyway.

Need something nice to look at in the kitchen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Downloaded John, thanks. Lot of useful information in there, let's hope we get to see at least some of these events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

A nice job! I like that this resource has all the Ireland-specific stuff, and that will be really useful to me over the upcoming year. I'll be buying the final edition never it's ready, now that I know that it exists.
    I can appreciate the amount of work that goes into something like this, and to you I say "Thank you"!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

Thanks everyone for the kind comments about the calendar.

I'd definitely like to see it printed at some stage but am not sure when. We'll need to decide whether to run with the printer of last year's calendar or find a new company. The only difficulty with a new printer is the calendar price may go up as we were only charged the printing costs for 2015 edition. It meant everything else from the €5 sale price was profit and the money raised was used to buy over 1,000 eclipse shades for free distribution to clubs and individuals prior to the solar eclipse last March.

The December issue of Sky at Night magazine has a 2016 calendar with photos from the Astrophotographer of the Year competition and they are pretty awesome. I got Guy Ottwell's Astronomical Calendar for 2016 in the post this morning and he has done another terrific job on the publication. The 2016 edition is Guy's last as he wants to concentrate on other projects.

Looking through the pdf myself this morning I noticed I shamefully didn't include the boards.ie astronomy forum in the list of links! There's a lot of knowledgeable people on the forum and I love reading the links to astronomy and space news posted up too. Same with the Weather forum which naturally I'd read as an amateur astronomer. Am a member of the Cloud Appreciation Society but as I said to someone recently, it doesn't mean I appreciate the recent Biblical deluge :)

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Baggirshorts

Thanks for the free down load....some great info...have it handily on my desktop now...
    Cheers..

• Advertisement
Advertisement