Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today FM - Trading Places

• 12-12-2015 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭

It seems that this Wednesday coming will see every Today FM (weekday only?) presenter trading places for the one day. So, we could have Matt Cooper presenting the breakfast show perhaps, Ian Dempsey doing The Last Word. . .who knows?

I won't get to hear it in work, but I will listen back later that evening. Presenters have no say in what show they'll be doing anyway, so it could be interesting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I wonder who will they put into Matt Cooper's slot? Anton? He's the only one on the daily schedule who has experience with current affairs. Unless of course they're planning on shelving the Last Word for the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jimceart

Presenters who produce their own shows I think sound better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Doodah7

BBC Radio 2 do this every year for Children in Need or Comic Relief. I can't remember which. Anyway it should be amusing to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ezra Wibberley

Caught a bit of Phil Cawley doing the early breakfast slot, but so used to hearing Phil at random times here and there it didn't seem too different to hear him at 6:30am!

Matt Cooper this morning on the breakfast show is novel. I feel for the man, he's trying to play it cool and breezy and he's out of his comfort zone, but he's doing it in the right spirit to be fair to him!

Ian Dempsey later on doing the Last Word will be .. interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Poor Matt is way out of his comfort zone, he sounded so awkward at the start of the show chatting to the guy with the kick start song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

This is getting old very fast.
    Every presenter will be labouring on this all day. I'm a serial Today FM listener but this is likely to be boring all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ezra Wibberley

_Brian wrote: »
    This is getting old very fast.
    Every presenter will be labouring on this all day. I'm a serial Today FM listener but this is likely to be boring all day.

Think it's the constant reminding of what's going on, after every ad break, every news bulletin... If they carried on 'as normal', it'd be more enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭argentum

People seem to assume that Matt doesn't have a sense of humour but I think he's showing that he does. He doesn't play music on The Last Word and seems to be making a joke on how bad he is on the links and setting up the songs but he's playing a good setlist.
    When he made a balls of the intro to The Human League Paul Collins said it was like working with Ray Darcy which raised a laugh.
    I don't know how it will work out for every one else today but Matt and Ian changing was a great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Avril Murphy

did anyone get the county on the breafast show with Matt this morning, Dermott and Dave's one was Galway, theya re running a compettion all day today and you need to keep note of all the countys on each show

did anyone get the county on the breafast show with Matt this morning, Dermott and Dave's one was Galway, theya re running a compettion all day today and you need to keep note of all the countys on each show

He didnt announce it but D&D did for him, Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Anton and Louise's place is Limerick.

I'm enjoying the Trading Places gimmick, something different for the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Have only been listening sporadically today. What I heard of Matt sounded a bit awkward, especially during Gift Grub. D&D were funny as expected, and Louise making a balls of the "Ah Shur That's It" thing was hilarious.

I think they made a mistake though, they should have tried to ensure each of the DJs were presenting their different slot from the same studio they normally broadcast from. Like, D&D were in Anton's studio, Anton in D&D's. Unless there's technical reasons for this, I don't see the point of doing it that way. Would have made the presenters more comfortable IMO (though D&D struggling to find the news fader at 9 was brilliant).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,394 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Have only been listening sporadically today. What I heard of Matt sounded a bit awkward, especially during Gift Grub. D&D were funny as expected, and Louise making a balls of the "Ah Shur That's It" thing was hilarious.

I think they made a mistake though, they should have tried to ensure each of the DJs were presenting their different slot from the same studio they normally broadcast from. Like, D&D were in Anton's studio, Anton in D&D's. Unless there's technical reasons for this, I don't see the point of doing it that way. Would have made the presenters more comfortable IMO (though D&D struggling to find the news fader at 9 was brilliant).

From pics I've seen of the Today Fm studios there are two large studios with one that they seem to do sessions in in the middle if you get me. I assumed that both studios would be identical in setup ie desk,mics, and monitors ?

But going on what you're saying nolan they can't be as the lads dermot and dave wouldn't have not found the fader. Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    From pics I've seen of the Today Fm studios there are two large studios with one that they seem to do sessions in in the middle if you get me. I assumed that both studios would be identical in setup ie desk,mics, and monitors ?

But going on what you're saying nolan they can't be as the lads dermot and dave wouldn't have not found the fader. Interesting.

I'm pretty sure they are different. I remember Ray Foley once spilled coffee or something on the desk in his studio and they had to move to D'Arcy's studio and they commented that it was different. Now, I'd imagine they're probably very similar, but there must be some differences.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they are different. I remember Ray Foley once spilled coffee or something on the desk in his studio and they had to move to D'Arcy's studio and they commented that it was different. Now, I'd imagine they're probably very similar, but there must be some differences.

I remember that and I think it was water and a Friday iirc as I can remember the oh balls moment from Ray.

Actually I listened to a clip of Louise and Anton doing Dermot and daves part. And they mentioned who was working the desk and Louise said she got the short end of the straw and was doing the desk and that was why they must have missed some of the news. So yeah there must be a difference.

Did they give out the next county?

toadfly wrote: »
    Did they give out the next county?

Who fergal and Paul ? No idea not listening live just to clips from the shows I've missed.

Didnt hear either, I text in to the show to find out if they would repeat it if they have done it already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭lolie

Didnt hear either, I text in to the show to find out if they would repeat it if they have done it already

The brother said they said it was Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Hows Dempsey doing on the last word?

• Advertisement

he is doing alright, ya can tell he's bit nervous out of his comfort zone, but not too bad!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭omerin

he's brutal, not asking enough questions, to many mmmm's, leaving one speaker talk for about 5 minutes none stop. Whoever though of this concept should either be fired or given a pay rise if this process is an audit on the "talent" in today fm and gives DOB a chance to get rid of some dead weight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭omerin

**** me it just got a whole lot worse now rosenstock is on try to take the piss out of healy rae. this is not a light entertainment show Dempsey you clown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Horse84

omerin wrote: »
    **** me it just got a whole lot worse now rosenstock is on try to take the piss out of healy rae. this is not a light entertainment show Dempsey you clown

That was absolutely woeful from rosenstock. Complete and utter joke fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Sounded like the interview with BP Fallon was pre-recorded. It sounded awkward. Even though they worked together on 2FM in the mid 80s, it sounded like they had never spoken to each other before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

I think their trading places was a good idea , if anything it might keep some of them on the ball when they realise that there not as hot as they thought they were in their cosy little number , if this happened in RTE , they're be an all out strike at all levels and they'd look for compensation payments for being discommoded .

Oops69 wrote: »
    if this happened in RTE , they're be an all out strike at all levels and they'd look for compensation payments for being discommoded .

RTE Radio did something like this in 2000 to celebrate 75 years of RTE Radio, where presenters from the 4 radio networks did shows on different stations at different times i.e.: Gerry Ryan on Lyric FM, Pat Kenny on 2FM...it was a Saturday if I remember though think most of the shows were recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Sounded like the interview with BP Fallon was pre-recorded. It sounded awkward. Even though they worked together on 2FM in the mid 80s, it sounded like they had never spoken to each other before.

Noticed that too, did seem a bit awkward all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I think Fallon is an awful interviewee. He was on the Friday interview slot a couple of years ago with Cooper and Cooper said the gist of texts coming in weren't very positive about him and the interview. I remember switching it off myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭squonk

I thought Ian did fairly well. His was the only snipet of a show I managed to listen to. To be fair to Ian he's not a current affairs interviewer and you could tell he hadn't really a bulls notion of most of what he was talking about. I thought I heard him laughing in the background at one stage during the Delores O'Riordan report which, to be fair, was kind of funny given the rampage she seems to have been on according to the testimony given. He did let the journalist go on but I think there's a particular skillset involved here that he wouldn't have pickedup in light entertainment. If anything it actually showed the skill that poeple like Cooper, Kenny, Claire Byrne etc. do have.

Rosenstock joining the Healy-Rae interview was odd and I don't know whether Mario decided to do it off the bat or whether it had been pre-planned with Ian in advance. I think it did serve some purpose in showing Healy-Rae up as the particular gob****e he is really. Mind you we all knew that I suspect however it was funny that he apparently didn't seem to realise he was being setup and came across as a truculent little arse really. He had no problem previously when Ian had let him talk on. I suspect he was only delighted to come on knowing Ian would be a lightweight and he'd easilly have his way with the interview. Nice to see someone getting a bit of a kick in the ass like that though so, fair play to Mario in that case.

It reminded me of a clip on the Gareth O'Callaghan show on 2FM many years ago where he used to ring up celebs and wind them up. He rang G. Ryan one day claiming to be the manager of a posh hotel in some part of the country where Gerry had stayed. The wind up concerned some damaged furniture in the room which the manager claimed had to be charged to G. Ryan as he was the occupant of the room at the time just prior to the damage being discovered. Gerry protested his innocence and became fine and stoppy threatening legal action and all. In fairness he did see the funny side once Gareth identified himself and you have to give the man credit for allowing the windup to be broadcast as it didn't paint him in the greatest of lights I thought at the time but I suppose he wasn't too petty about what others might think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Matt doesn't do casual chit chat very well, even on the supposed lighter parts of his own programme, but fair play to him for giving it a go. Also think it was a good lesson in seeing what Ian does isn't that easy either, he just makes it look that way!

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I think Fallon is an awful interviewee. He was on the Friday interview slot a couple of years ago with Cooper and Cooper said the gist of texts coming in weren't very positive about him and the interview. I remember switching it off myself.

I think he only comes across well in interviews with people seems to know (previous ones I've head with Dave Fanning, Eamonn Dunphy, Paul McLoone)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I actually think Ian was been fed lines through his headset. Most likely by Matt. Louise made some right balls of a few segments! Anton was Anton, came across well. Ferg Darcey was very good too

They mentioned on air it was Colm O Sullivans idea, Redfm in cork done this changing places a few months back so no doubt Colm was speaking too KC about the pros and cons of it and decided foo give it a go.

Advertisement