Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smartphones have ruined concerts, pubs, etc

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Jaysus OP one thread I thought would be suitable for the Ranting and Raving forums. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

iPhones are able to record live music excellently.

That's great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I wonder what the no-recording-at-gigs brigade's beef is. It's not my thing, and I agree, it does seem like a waste of the experience but it doesn't bother me. They've paid their fee, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't dampen the experience of others.

Artists who complain about their audience watching the show during their performance; yes it might not be desirable but you have no right to insist (unless it's copyright reasons, like Prince).

Am I missing something - should I be annoyed? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

There are people that film their own faces at concerts as reaction videos. These people are sub human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

There are people out there who would value a photo or video from the concert for their social media more than fully grasping the experience of the concert itself.

It's crazy really. Convincing people you're living a great life > actually living a great life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I would film the odd clip at a gig, but I'm a reviewer and blogger and I always use a small, proper camera directly in front of me so I'm not in anyone's way or view. I might film one full track or to emphasise a particular part of a group or acts light show to back up the review. It would be interesting if Charlie Brooker done a new Black Mirror episode based on this phenomenon.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Patww79 wrote: »

Wha'? I never said I was forced to do anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

mfceiling wrote: »
    That's great.

And you wonder why you're excluded from social gatherings

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Relikk

iPhones are able to record live music excellently.

Kfp5usQ.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Was in Funderland the other day with the kids/family and purposely left my phone at home to enjoy being out with my fam for the last time this year.

Now, the amount of Dads/Mums on their phones constantly was comical at best, but what got me was if their child was taken, they would have zero chance of doing anything.

Socializing now has become a non-existence, these people are off their heads on lines of Facebook and time and life is flying by.

All a waste of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

What about indoor use at home? Any time that I want to watch something on DVD or Blu-ray at home; my mam is glued to the smartphone white watching some conspiracy theory crap or Religious stuff on Youtube. At any other time that I want to watch something else on the TV at other times of the day; she would sometimes have her phone right up to her ear on a loud volume while listening to or watching the very same thing. It is a very annoying trait coming from her when she bought one from the post office recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

...remember the time when there'd be a chat that would go off in a tangent, and that tangent would be followed up and would cause a mini debate in itself. So you'd be talking about the game next Sunday between Kerry and Galway, and some fellow would refer to the semi final in 76 or was it 77, and someone else would say Enda Colleran was still playing, and each sub topic would cause a big analysis in itself.

And that's all gone now cos someone whips out a mobile and verifies the matter, ending all debate in a matter of seconds?

Well I miss those times. I wonder did it contribute to the downfall of the pub? So have mobile phones actually altered the art of conversation?

Yeah facts ruin a good sh1te talk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Nothing and everything.

I wonder what the no-recording-at-gigs brigade's beef is. It's not my thing, and I agree, it does seem like a waste of the experience but it doesn't bother me. They've paid their fee, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't dampen the experience of others.

Yes, yes it does. I didn't pay my fee to have my view blocked by some gormless eejit's iPhone. I'm short so this is an issue for me. I can deal with the odd head getting in the way. Nothing can be done about that. But my view being obscured by an smartphone/iPad? Get to feck.

I hope holding smartphones and iPads aloft at gigs becomes as socially unacceptable as talking in the cinema.

I think maybe some of the music artists have caught on to phones in concerts because you see more and more getting the crowd to wave there hands and clap . That usually sorts out the phones.

From my point of view , I'm sick of it, I've spent 3 days doing stock take at work and we always get a few young ones to come in and help. You may as well not bother , heads down looking at phone every 30 seconds .

I asked all the young ones at work if they could go without a phone for 24hrs and all admitted they couldn't . very sad!!!
    Doesn't work so well at cannibal corpse gigs

Was at stewert Lee in Belfast waterfront a few months back. First guy that took a phone out had it whipped out of his hand personally by Mr Lee himself who then stuck it up his own arse for most of the first half, then this absolute ignorant cnt beside me who had already ignored the couple behind her asking her to put her phone away was spotted by Stuart and to be quite honest I couldn't describe how brilliant he tore her apart... It seemed as though he abused her for 40ish minutes but in reality he just weaved her into his next story about how easy it is for cnts like her to buy s&m gear at gigs on phones from the Internet and how more difficult it was in our parents day, who had to hang a goose for a week to get enough "dripping" for lube and then still feed a family.

The first guy tweeted a pic later of the returned phone in a freezer bag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm a hypocrite when it comes to my attitude to them - One hand I don't really understand how your experience of a concert is improved by looking at it through a tiny screen, as opposed to taking it in with your full attention. I don't get it.

But on the other hand it's nice to have videos from a concert you've been too uploaded onto youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

If your're a bit socially anxious as I am, having all these people with their faces stuck in phones ignoring you is a boon.

irelands favourite anti-rock band kodeline are on the box ringing in the new year, they are currently cringingly asking the audience to video a song and send them the vids.

edit:
    gawd they're asking them to light the fn band with their phones now...we're doomed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

And you wonder why you're excluded from social gatherings

:)

Huh? What are these social gatherings I'm excluded from? I actually had more nights out this Christmas than any other year. I'm of the generation who converse when we go out as opposed to spending our time taking photos and uploading our "brilliant" times to fakebook.

Arghus wrote: »
    I'm a hypocrite when it comes to my attitude to them - One hand I don't really understand how your experience of a concert is improved by looking at it through a tiny screen, as opposed to taking it in with your full attention. I don't get it.

But on the other hand it's nice to have videos from a concert you've been too uploaded onto youtube.

I'd hazard a guess that the experience isn't improved and the videos are never watched again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i ca,nt see the point of people recording a concert on a phone,
    If you..re a beyonce fan for example theres loads of music video,s on youtube
    Who wants to watch a low quality video filmed on a mobile phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Should have knocked you out.[/quote]
    Small man, big talk. Don't go to a concert you dry ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Recording at concerts irks me to the point where I "accidentally" bump into someone next to me who is doing it or wave my arms to block the person behind me and rock back and forth. One person managed to drop their phone when I did this but didn't say anything to me which proves the point that they know they shouldn't be doing this.

Thats acting like a scumbag. On what planet would you think it’s acceptable to knock someone’s phone out of their hand?? And then think you are in the right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

A child's birthday party is a very unsettling affair these days. All the little darlings at the table being paparazzi'd by the adults non stop. Stop telling them to look at the camera non stop. Stop making them re-take pictures because you didn't like that one. Just leave them to enjoy themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Relikk

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    A child's birthday party is a very unsettling affair these days. All the little darlings at the table being paparazzi'd by the adults non stop. Stop telling them to look at the camera non stop. Stop making them re-take pictures because you didn't like that one. Just leave them to enjoy themselves.

I don’t mind taking the odd selfie with friends if a few are just taken in quick succession and that’s it. But I just cannot bear the whole thing of taking selfies, checking them and keeping going with it until people are happy with the result. So tedious.

The thought of doing that to kids angries up my blood even more. :mad: They’re kids, they’re gonna look cute in every photo. Do you have experience of this kind of carry on?

some poor bloke brought his SJW date to jim Jeffries last night and I had the misfortune to sit beside her, when she wasn't tuttin at the material she was texting....seriously annoying at a sit down gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Omackeral wrote: »

Im so glad I missed the start of the tech era as a child..I missed it so narrowly..by just a few years. Technology had a massive influence on my teenage years, unfortunately, but Im just glad I was able to enjoy my childhood without phones and laptops. My little brother and sister weren't so lucky

Advertisement