Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security camera advice

Options
  • 12-12-2015 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Hey all

Wondering if anyone in the know could give me a bit of advice on installing a camera at the front of my house. Budget is quite low but need something as we are having issues with some little brats (thats putting it nicely) tormenting us - ie throwing stones at the window/car, banging on the front door - not the most serious crimes but its constant ongoing
    We have had the guards involved and they have been helpful as they can be but by the time they come to do a drive arount the estate the culprits are long gone - we have an idea who they are but need proof!
    I seen this is coming up in lidl next thursday
    http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=34067

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Wouldn't rate it tbh. Doesn't give very much information on that link.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

KoolKid wrote: »
    Wouldn't rate it tbh. Doesn't give very much information on that link.

This is the link from the manufacturer site
    http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-19_NC220.html

??? - im not very technical minded unfortunately
    Thanks for any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

It is an internal camera, put it outside and it won't last long. Also you might think of putting it in a window, this may not work as the glass on the window will probably cause interference.

kub wrote: »
    It is an internal camera, put it outside and it won't last long. Also you might think of putting it in a window, this may not work as the glass on the window will probably cause interference.

Yep my plan was to put it inside front bedroom window! Any recommendations instead???

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

fifi28 wrote: »
    This is the link from the manufacturer site
    http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-19_NC220.html

Resolution is only 640x480. Won't be good enough for a clear picture capable of identifying the culprits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

someone did a bit of a test of same :

gctest50 wrote: »
    someone did a bit of a test of same :

Seen that video but thats indoor footage and i need this for outdoor monitoring. If you can recommend anything I would be glad of the advice, thanks

Resolution is only 640x480. Won't be good enough for a clear picture capable of identifying the culprits.

Ok seems i need to look for better - any recommendations for low budget? Thanks

Netgears' Arlo yokies maybe ? good few more $ though

Completely wirefree, high definition

bit more

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »
    might be cheaper out there somewhere :

Thanks a mil, your very good for getting all that info. Done some googling myself and totally swamped with the amount of different models, features etc. I know im asking an awful lot but hoping for around the €100 mark - its an unfortunate expense i could do without this time of year but my other half works fairly late nights and im home alone with 3 kiddies - these little brats know only too well what theyr doing and i need to put a stop to it once and for all

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

The Arlo looks like a nice product but each camera needs 4 x CR123 batteries which will last 4-6 months (probably nearer 4....). You will pay around €2 per battery so that's c.€24 per year per camera on batteries, before you start to pay for cloud recording.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

The ideal solution here is a cheap ip camera. Would can pick up something like an escam qd100 for about £30 sterling on ebay. Put blue iris on your home PC and you have a networked CCTV solution.

Advertisement