Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

App that records all phone usage

• 12-12-2015 5:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, as part of a research project I want to find and install an app that would record all mobile phone usage by the mobile phone owner.

They would be aware of it and willing to participate so it doesn't have to be spyware.

I'd be looking for detail to extent that I could see every app they opened and closed, and for how long, and what they looked at and typed entered. Also, what they browsed on their mobile browser.

I'm not aware of any apps myself, so I'm interested in hearing if others have ideas or suggestions.

(With the permission of mods, I'd also like to post this in the apple devices forum and the tablet forum).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

would you write it yourself, include all the permissions required etc.?

there are counter apps - i think avast does this - & some launchers even have sort by most used. how accurate it is idk.

i'm not sure about the leaking of the other info though, especially what's entered. is what you want to do entirely possible without a good knowledge of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Don't know of any app that does it all, but Type Machine records all text entered. (I use it in case the app I'm typing something in crashes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

batistuta9 wrote: »
    would you write it yourself, include all the permissions required etc.?

there are counter apps - i think avast does this - & some launchers even have sort by most used. how accurate it is idk.

i'm not sure about the leaking of the other info though, especially what's entered. is what you want to do entirely possible without a good knowledge of it

I wouldn't have the slightest idea of how to do it myself. Thanks though.

Don't know of any app that does it all, but Type Machine records all text entered. (I use it in case the app I'm typing something in crashes)

Thanks, that might be of some use - it might be a case of different apps doing different parts of it rather than one app doing everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You'd most likely need rooted devices to do this, so if you're expecting to do with peoples own regular handsets and not provide them then you may have a problem there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Quality time is based loosely around what you are looking for. It shows how many times the screen is on, apps opened etc. Might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

osarusan wrote: »
    Hi all, as part of a research project

Research hey? ;)

JohnBee wrote: »
    Research hey? ;)

Yep, seriously.

but the more I think about it, I've come to the conclusion that it would never be allowed/approved in terms of ethics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

osarusan wrote: »
    Yep, seriously.

but the more I think about it, I've come to the conclusion that it would never be allowed/approved in terms of ethics.

would you not be OK if you got consent/participants?

were you just looking at how people use their phones or something else?

Advertisement