Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof covered by home insurance.

Options
  • 12-12-2015 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I know this question depends on each individual house insurance policy but in general are roof repairs covered under buildings. It looks like we are going to need a new roof as there has been extensive damage caused by the recent storms. Can't get in contact with insurance company until Monday and would like not to have to worry about it for the weekend. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

In general, roofs are covered. I'll cross my fingers for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭MarieOC

As a general rule wear and tear is not covered, but storm damage is.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

Storm damage is covered but if regular maintenance is not carried out and you have no proof of the maintenance it could be down to wear and no coverage for you. Your claim could also be reduced if no maintenance receipts are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Casm85

Thanks for the replys, it was build just over eight years ago so I'm hoping it's a new enough build that it wouldn't be down to wear and tear but is down to thw storm . Will just have to wait till Monday I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Call a loss assessor on Monday morning. They will come out and assess the damage and give an independent view of the cost of repair. They charge about 10% of the claim, but IMO they are totally worth it. The insurance company will try to low ball you and ignore some things that should be replaced, while the loss assessor will negotiate the insurance company to make sure you get a fair claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Call a loss assessor on Monday morning. They will come out and assess the damage and give an independent view of the cost of repair. They charge about 10% of the claim, but IMO they are totally worth it. The insurance company will try to low ball you and ignore some things that should be replaced, while the loss assessor . . .

I agree fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Casm85 wrote: »
    I know this question depends on each individual house insurance policy but in general are roof repairs covered under buildings. It looks like we are going to need a new roof as there has been extensive damage caused by the recent storms. Can't get in contact with insurance company until Monday and would like not to have to worry about it for the weekend. Thanks.

Is it a flat roof btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Call a loss assessor on Monday morning. They will come out and assess the damage and give an independent view of the cost of repair. They charge about 10% of the claim, but IMO they are totally worth it. The insurance company will try to low ball you and ignore some things that should be replaced, while the loss assessor will negotiate the insurance company to make sure you get a fair claim.

Call an engineer as it might be of more benefit in the long run, then get a couple of quotes from local builders for the repairs. Submit to your insurer and you should then be fine. You don't need a loss assessor for storm damage claims especially if they are relatively minor as you will loose 10% plus vat (at 23%) of the value to the loss assessor and the fee is not covered by the policy. Add that to your excess and the loss of your future no claims bonus and you might not wish to claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

Be prepared for the repercussions of that claim! Our house was broken into and we claimed for a PVC door and window which were damaged beyond repair move forward to this year when we bought a new house...we had awful trouble getting insurance. Most companies wouldn't even quote us as we had a claim over 3000K. We nearly werent able to go ahead with the sale as having home insurance was obviously a condition of the sale. We eventually after many phone calls managed to get one company to insure us and it was a costly policy! I suppose my point is if you can afford to get the roof repairs done yourself you might be better off!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Jen44 wrote: »
    Be prepared for the repercussions of that claim! Our house was broken into and we claimed for a PVC door and window which were damaged beyond repair move forward to this year when we bought a new house...we had awful trouble getting insurance. Most companies wouldn't even quote us as we had a claim over 3000K. We nearly werent able to go ahead with the sale as having home insurance was obviously a condition of the sale. We eventually after many phone calls managed to get one company to insure us and it was a costly policy! I suppose my point is if you can afford to get the roof repairs done yourself you might be better off!

That's shocking, what is the point of having insurance of you are afraid to make a genuine claim...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

I know it was awful! being punished for being the victims of a crime!

We had the visit from the assessor and thankfully enough we are covered as they are putting the damaged down to the storm rather than just waer and tear. Thanks for all the advice.

Jen44 wrote:

That's terrible but we have no choice but to claim, the cost is just to high. I spoke to the insurance about the increase and they said my no claims bonus will decrease but it should only cost an extra 90 to 100 euro per year. So I guess it's not too bad. I'm gonna give them a call though just to make sure that they'll have no problem insuring us again when the policy needs to be renewed next year.

Advertisement