Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some help with Health Insurance

• 12-12-2015 8:20pm

Hi
    Can I ask for some advice please?

I am 41 male married. Wife is 39. Neither are smokers or have any underlying health issues (thank God). I am in permanent employment (primary teacher).
    We are currently with Aviva on the Health Starter package. Paying approx €1200 for both of us pa.

My father recently had treatment for prostate cancer and his VHI covered all his costs and had good treatment in the Mater Private.

As this cancer is hereditary I am concerned that my own cover wont come near covering what the future may bring.

I know that I will need to increase my cover at some stage as we are both getting older and I realise that my Aviva cover is pretty basic.

Could somebody advise on a good package/cover for both of us? I suppose our budget for ourselves would be around the €2000-€2500 mark.

Id also appreciate some advice on what to look for/avoid in a policy.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭PaulM1977

Have a look at www.hia.ie to get an idea of comparable plans from each of the 4 insurance companies, Laya, VHI, Aviva and Glo Health.

You will need to decide if you want day to day care or hospital care or both on your plan.

If you have any pre-existing conditions at present, you will need to disclose these to the relevant insurers from the outset.

Not sure of the price at the moment, as they are always changing but Aviva 16.1 was one that I have heard is good previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Im on Precision total 150 with laya which covers out patient costs and covered a 30k heart surgery a few months ago in the mater private.

check hia.ie for comparisons.

a low outpatient excess is possible with laya (€1) plus good inpatient cover. you really need to send some time doing comparisons.

you could also give cornmarket insurance a call to discuss your needs. they will do a search for you and offer recommendations free of charge. it might be a good starting point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I am very wary of cornmarket they can only sell aviva and glo. If you want laya or vhi you have to buy directly from them. I had a major row with them in January 2014 when I was 9 months pregnant and they were trying to push glo on me and all I kept asking for was laya essential connect family!!

Advertisement