Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galaxy S6 not charging

• 12-12-2015 11:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all.

Galaxy S6 just randomly decided not to charge today. It went dead, and since then it just briefly shows a grey battery symbol. I can start it up but it dies within about 10 seconds of booting up.

I've tried different cables, it's been in a bag of rice for a while (in case it got damp)... I've also tried using a USB connection to my laptop, but nothing works. Also done a reset using the power and Vol. down button.

The only glimmer of hope I had earlier was once when I booted it up and pushed the cable in hard, it briefly showed itself as charging, but then the cable moved and it died again. Haven't been able to reproduce this.

Any ideas what it might be or what to do?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dunno about the s6 but saw with and iphone once the charging port had a tiny bit of fluff in it that was hard to see but prevented charging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I've checked the port a good few times, blown into it, etc.

The fact that the battery symbol comes up when a cable is inserted would lead me to believe it's registering the cable, but its refusing to charge for some reason. I just don't know why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Does wireless charging work?
    If it does, then the battery is OK, but the port is not.
    If wireless charging is also not working, maybe the battery is faulty.

Got it working :)

False alarm.

It's not charging again :(

Apologies for the double-post, but I now suspect (after seeing a few S6 photos) that the charging port has somehow been pushed in a little bit, which might be the reason it's not charging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Sounds like the charging port is loose ,inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QKO2PMG/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1

I got one of these. Sons Nexus 7 stopped charging. It's wireless charging. Takes longer but no cable needed. Works on Nexus 5s as well. Nice and a bargian.

It came from China so took a few weeks but its definitely worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The prong inside a micro usb port is easily bent ,
    or broken ,
    if its not straight in the socket ,theres no way to charge the tablet .
    unless it has a wireless charging chip.
    ie the charging cable wont fit in the socket ,in order to make the connection needed to charge .

I think that's it alright. And I can't really wait a few weeks for the wireless charger (although thanks, it's a good suggestion).

Where in Dublin would be good and not too expensive to get this fixed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Could you ask in carphonewarehouse if they have a wireless charger out of its box that you can test on? if it charges ok then you know you only have to get the Micro USB port fixed (not something more serious like the main board) and you can buy a wireless charger in the interim if the repair has to wait till after christmas.

I have to say a wireless charger on the bedside locker is quite a luxury, had it with my old phone and really missing it with the new one.

• Advertisement

It started charging the other day and no issues since. It's bizarre but at least there's no bother with it!

Advertisement