Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Tri

Options
  • 13-12-2015 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a triathlon for my first. Want to branch out from a bit of running and try a tri. Not a fantastic swimmer by any stretch of the imagination but am in the process of improving. Do organisers allow swimming aids like snorkels and flippers or are all aids banned. i dont want to win the triathlon just take part with a view of completing an ironman in the future.
    thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Turtle001

TriAthy is generally early in the season and caters for all levels. The key thing to be aware of is that open water is quite different to the pool due to visibility and others in close proximity.

The swimming aids you mention are really the help your stroke in training by isolating specific elements. If possible, getting in to a club with swim coaching would be very benifical as I find it difficult to be self aware on what you'll need to change/improve.

Best of luck with the journey!

The one that's been recommended to me by a few people is TriAthy as mentioned by Turtle. I've no Tri experience so only passing on third hard information. I believe that more experienced Tri folk aren't as mad about Athy.

I personally wouldn't be comfortable using swimming aids, and if I felt I needed to do so, then I wouldn't be taking to an open water race.

Best of luck with the run to Tri transition, I'm doing the same myself. Might see you in Athy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Agree with TriAthy but really anywhere that has the Try-a-try distance would work for you. Swim distance is usually 250m which is very doable for anyone who cam remotely swim. It's a very friendly distance as it's there specifically to let people have a go for the first time.

Athy is very very busy though. My first was a sprint distance in Wicklow with about 80odd participants.

If you are already relatively fit you will find a Try-a-try easy in terms of effort. What you'll experience is the structure of the Tri - setup, prep, transition, rules etc. Then, should you enjoy it, you'll be looking for a sprint distance, then a standard, then half ironman, full ironman!

I'm at half ironman stage this year.

You could also look at Duathlon as a interim option. They are a good device for training without the rigmarole of the swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Welcome dekbhoy. Have a look at the race calendar and check events around you or as far as you would travel. Any of the try-a-tri (not necessarily TriAthy) are more than suitable for anyone starting out. Pretty much all of the club races will feature or cater for a beginners race.

You are not allowed use swim aids or flotation devices at any stage in a triathlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Also worth considering a Tri with a pool swim as your first. Unless you wait until well into the season you're probably not going to get loads of open water practice in and I can assure you (from experience) that it's not much fun going into an open water swim without being comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

thank you for feedback guys, much appreciated. Have done adventure races in the past,run bike kayak and found them very enjoyable. have high level of cardio fitness so hopefully swimming will improve with practice.....Kona here we come!!!!!!!ha

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Best of luck with the run to Tri transition, I'm doing the same myself. Might see you in Athy :)[/QUOTE]

Ha ha Whoopsa......I am telling DubGal and Myles that you are going to convert to the 'Dark Side' !! :)

Hi Dekbhoy, I dabbled a bit last year in Tri's and really enjoyed them, so much so I am going to have a better attempt at them this year....

As a Tri newbie last year, I would really recommend completing a short Aquathon (500M Swim and 3.5K run) as a prepp for a Tri. I did the Howth Aquaton twice last year, really enjoyed it and learned a lot, also they are usually low cost (circa €15 and no Tri License req). I did the Blessington Sprint Tri last year as my first Tri and enjoyed it too.

A friend of mine did TriAthy as his first but wasn't impressed with the organisers as there was a lot of standing around due to techical issues on the day.
    I am starting back in the pool this week as I want to be less rubbish as a swimmer this year :D.

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tibulus

Iv heard there is a sprint in Ballina Mayo with a full down stream swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Tibulus wrote: »
    Iv heard there is a sprint in Ballina Mayo with a full down stream swim.

You'll get the natives riled up with that one. :D

OP as others have mentioned a try a tri to start and go from there.

Also having a good cardio fitness won't help if you can't swim :) . If you're proficient on the bike and run then I'd be spending the next few months in the pool.

Have a look into joining a club and try a few open water swims before your first race. I wouldn't advise doing this alone if you're not a confident swimmer and even then there are risks.

Good luck with it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

For open water, wetsuits will be mandatory, other things like booties are usually banned, fins and snorkels, absolutely no way. Get your swim proficiency up in the pool, then get out into open water training before your first open water race. Dont train alone, obviously, hook up with a tri or open water club where youll have help and supervision. An open water swim is very disorienting at first, and takes practice. Be realistic about your ability and pick a race appropriate to it. A pool swim or a try-a-tri are both ideal ways to 'dip your toe in the water', literally.

• Advertisement
Advertisement