Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pork pies - hot or cold and with what?

Options
  • 13-12-2015 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭

I have been obsessed with pork pies since my childhood - think it's an enid Blyton thing :D

This Christmas I am going to locate some.

Do you eat pork pies?

Any recommendations?
    Hot or cold??
    Serve with what?

Any pork pie advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

It's hard to get a good pork pie, but imo, it has to be cold, serve with pickled onions, ploughman relish, some nice mature cheddar and a scraping of mustard, lunch sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    It's hard to get a good pork pie, but imo, it has to be cold, serve with pickled onions, ploughman relish, some nice mature cheddar and a scraping of mustard, lunch sorted!
    Cold is good, although not too cold. I had a warm pork pie once in a little pub in the Yorkshire Dales sitting in a bed of mushy peas and mint sauce, which was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,571 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You need a Melton Mowbray pie - they can be got in Ireland, Tescos have them. Other than that, Pink Fairy's post is dead on! (though I would not have the mustard, but that's up to you)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

For me it would have to be cold and without jelly. Serve it with a slice of good ham (for contrast), some hard cheese(s), a pickle (Branston is perfectly acceptable but pref chunky), maybe some cornichons and a leafy salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Cold for me, with a sprinkling of salt and some mustard and pickles. I love the versions with a hard boiled egg also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Pork pie, snack size or regular is lovely both warm or cold, depends on mood, to be served with either hp sauce or mustard again depending on mood. When I say warm I mean only enough time in a hot oven to loosen the fat in the pastry.

*English mustard only, not limp wristed Dijon not with a pork pie anyway.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    *English mustard only, not limp wristed Dijon not with a pork pie anyway.

Perhaps if you combine it into piccalilli otherwise I Think mustard would overwhelm a pork pie.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Perhaps if you combine it into piccalilli otherwise I Think mustard would overwhelm a pork pie.

No it doesn't.

And piccalilli has too much vinegar for a pork pie.

No it doesn't.

And piccalilli has too much vinegar for a pork pie.

I expressed an opinion; you declare absolute truth. I bow down before you, Herr Hitler!😜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Only ever pork pie, I have ever tried was a tesco own brand one. No idea how it compares with a typical pork pie, but this one wasn't to my own taste at least.

I expressed an opinion; you declare absolute truth. I bow down before you, Herr Hitler!😜

I know, terrible aren't I :D

Only ever pork pie, I have ever tried was a tesco own brand one. No idea how it compares with a typical pork pie, but this one wasn't to my own taste at least.

Marks and spencer snack size pork pies are good.

Marks and spencer snack size pork pies are good.

You need to find a decent sized pork pie with more meat than pastry and then you'll see why it is not merely wadding for the delivery of mustard!

You need to find a decent sized pork pie with more meat than pastry and then you'll see why it is not merely wadding for the delivery of mustard!

That was a recommendation for someone who had only ever had a Tesco one.

I would eat pork pies of all sizes, including gala pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,571 ✭✭✭✭looksee

For me it would have to be cold and without jelly. Serve it with a slice of good ham (for contrast), some hard cheese(s), a pickle (Branston is perfectly acceptable but pref chunky), maybe some cornichons and a leafy salad.

Without jelly! Heresy! And agree about size, a slice off a bigger pie is better than a whole small one - meat to pastry proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lenscap

I have often made mini pork pies, from a Kevin Dundon recipe. They are about the size of a mince pie. I cut them in half, when cold, and serve with a salad.

If anyone is interested in the recipe the either google Dundon or ask me.

lenscap wrote: »
    I have often made mini pork pies, from a Kevin Dundon recipe. They are about the size of a mince pie. I cut them in half, when cold, and serve with a salad.

If anyone is interested in the recipe the either google Dundon or ask me.

If they're the ones with shortcrust pastry then they aren't pork pies, the whole point of a pork pie is the hot water crust pastry, otherwise it's just a pie with a pork filling.

Advertisement