Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pardew for a top job

• 13-12-2015 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭

Should this guy be mentioned when all the Utd and Chelsea fans are discussing possible future managers?

Comments

Not sure he's at that level, maybe more a Spurs or Everton number. I'd suspect he'd have ManU and Chelsea performing better than they are right now in league games, but he might be considered as lacking the European experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

England is his next job I would have thought. If he wanted it at least.

Whether that's a "big job" is open to interpretation mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Stupid thread.

Would Arsenal fans be happy with him being mentioned as a replacement when the Wenger out stuff starts?

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Stupid thread.

Would Arsenal fans be happy with him being mentioned as a replacement when the Wenger out stuff starts?

Why is it stupid?

I mean, David Moyes and Roberto di Matteo recently managed those clubs. They were hardly lured from Real Madrid or Bayern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Why is it stupid?

I mean, David Moyes and Roberto di Matteo recently managed those clubs. They were hardly lured from Real Madrid or Bayern.

One was shoehorned in by Ferguson, one became manager by default. I can't see what circumstances would lead Pardew to those sorts of positions and I can't see him being chosen under the normal selection process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Maybe not a top top job like Chelsea or United so top 4 definitely not, maybe not really spurs level at the moment either, but any team below that I think he could be a viable option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Vastly underrated manager tbh, but as a result has never had a chance to develop/ show some of the skills needed for a top 4/6 club. International management might really suit him but I think the FA would rather keep Roy for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Newcastle?

/runs

Newcastle?

/runs

They are too small for him now.

Looks like he was wasted managing them and the circus that comes with it

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

He can do a good job with limited resources. The really "big" jobs are in my view too big for him. Having said that he could do a job as England manager as he's basically got to mould what he's given rather than having a stash of cash people put pressure on him to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Not a hope. He is enjoying a good run at the minute and palace might finish in the top half which would be a good result.

However he had a terrible record at Newcastle despite what some people will churn out. He had one very good season but the facts are there for all to see regarding losing streaks, goals scored, record home losses, record derby losses and total failure in cup competition.

Add to that his history of sleeping with players wives and headbutting players on the sideline and any top club would really be scraping the barrell. For some reason he has become a media and neutral favourite though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Maybe not a top top job like Chelsea or United so top 4 definitely not, maybe not really spurs level at the moment either, but any team below that I think he could be a viable option.

(*looks at PL table and sees Crystal Palace as the team directly below Spurs)

From my analysis, I agree with your post Orange. A team like Palace would suit Pardew. He should manage them.

tastyt wrote: »
    For some reason he has become a media and neutral favourite though.

Possibly a glance at the league table might indicate one reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Stupid thread.

The answer is I don't have a clue what all Arsenal fans think and I don't speak for them. Oddly enough we have different opinions on things that go beyond 'the party line'.

My opinion is that he's pretty good at scouting and buying decent teams. He has no problem taking on the big clubs. His teams, when successful, play good football. He got Newcastle to Europe, he's a manager of the season and I'd be curious to see what he could do with a budget.

I'm surprised he wouldn't be considered by any big club looking for a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Classic British manager with a philosophy that suits in an age where every top club wants attractive, modern football. He isn't getting a top job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

371615.jpg

Wasted at Newcastle indeed...

Can't argue he's doing a good job at palace. He was, bar one season, a disaster at Newcastle. Almost got relegated in his last two seasons

Let's not forget his form at Southampton or West ham either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

A better standard of WAG for him to have a crack at.

M5 wrote: »
    371615.jpg

Can't argue he's doing a good job at palace. He was, bar one season, a disaster at Newcastle. Almost got relegated in his last two seasons

They kept selling players on him.

I know he wasn't great but he did turn it around.

gosplan wrote: »

He ws complicit in the sales. Personally promised cabaye he could leave in January after he refused to play at the start of the season.

He could have played that card at Newcastle and perhaps gotten plenty of sympathy. He didn't though. He dedicated our first win, after losing 7 in a row, to Ashley. Blamed the fans for losses, headbutted players, shouted abuse at other managers, etc etc etc.

Credit where it is due, he is doing a too job at palace. Let's not forget that bar one season every other season at 3 clubs were all poor and his conduct is questionable to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

gosplan wrote: »

To be fair, this isn't something unique to Newcastle. This happens at any bottom half team when bigger teams want their players.

CSF wrote: »
    To be fair, this isn't something unique to Newcastle. This happens at any bottom half team when bigger teams want their players.

Pardew also advertised our players before windows. Constantly stating that he was subtle that big club x were looking at player y. Complicit like I said.

The results were part of it, but there was much much more to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

No top club will employ Pardew ffs. Newcastle is the biggest job he'll ever get.

M5 wrote: »
    371615.jpg

It's becoming clearer with every season that saving NUFC, a club with a minuscule trophy cabinet, from relegation is no bad achievement.

It's becoming clearer with every season that saving NUFC, a club with a minuscule trophy cabinet, from relegation is no bad achievement.

What a weird post. :confused:

monkey9 wrote: »
    What a weird post. :confused:

What was strange about it?

Newcastle is a club that in recent years seem to regularly flirt with relegation, they have limited history of success, the idea that they are a big club and should expect to be pushing for Europe or at the top end of the table exists in the heads of their own fans. For Pardew to get them there was a great achievement...that's why he got manager of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

What was strange about it?

Newcastle is a club that in recent years seem to regularly flirt with relegation, they have limited history of success, the idea that they are a big club and should expect to be pushing for Europe or at the top end of the table exists in the heads of their own fans. For Pardew to get them there was a great achievement...that's why he got manager of the year.

Who are the big clubs then and which teams should be pushing for Europe? Or at the top end of the table? Newcastle have 7 top 4 finishes since the premier league began, not bad for a wee club who win Feck all Imo

I don't think he's great or anything but it's worth keeping in mind that in his time at Newcastle, they made a profit in the transfer market.

I know clubs sell their big players but they also get reasonable amounts to invest.

Obviously he was very cosy with Ashely and complicit in the sales but what would it look like if Pardew was given 50 million a year to spend.

I think he could produce really good results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

the idea that they are a big club and should expect to be pushing for Europe or at the top end of the table exists in the heads of their own fans.

More red top nonsense and sweeping lazy generalisations. Has anybody on here who supports Newcastle claimed that we're a big club?

Big fanbase. Sure
    Big stadium. Absolutely

Can we do better? Absolutely but nobody is saying we should be deserving of Europe or anything.

Pardew did well to get us there. As did Glenn Roeder. Didn't see anybody making a stir when we got rid of him after a string of poor results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

I rarely post on Boards, but had to laugh when I saw this thread.

As M5 and others have alluded to, Pardew has done a very good job with Palace. He has a hard working squad, wingers that are willing to defend and break on the counter, whilst his big man up top in the form of Connor Wickham is happy to do the donkey work up top to bring players into the game. No problem with that, can I just point something out.

Palace's best player this year - Yohan Cabaye wasn't scouted by Alan Pardew himself. Pardew was handed Cabaye by head scout Graham Carr (who has brought in pretty much all the decent players in the past five years). Apparently, Mr. Pardew had never heard of Yohan Cabaye when he was signed. Whether there's any truth in that, I'm not sure, but I remember either reading something in the Telegraph about it, or a highly respected journalist remarking it at some stage.

So that leads to to the funny part. Pardew wasn't allowed his way in the transfer window at Newcastle - that is true for the most part. Yet, when he moves on Palace, he brings a player that was handed to him at NUFC. All the time remarking of his frustration not being able to bring in the players he wanted during his time in the North East.

However, he was allowed to sign two players of his own accord at Newcastle United. Gabriel Obertan and Yoan Gouffran. Need I say any more?

Anyway - as supporters who had him as manager of 5 years, its fair to say we know a lot more about him, the way his sides play, and what kind of a character he is. Passionate fella no doubt, but he knew his time was coming to an end at Newcastle United. He said it himself. His record in his last 3 years or so was appalling - he would have been sacked at any other club, there's absolutely no doubt about that.

To answer the question - he'll never get a big club. He feels at home at Palace, has the fans under his thumb, and has more responsibility in terms of recruitment. He also received a considerable payrise to move back home so it worked out well for everyone in the end.

I'm happy to be rid of him. He's doing a good job at Palace, and fair play to him. I can't see it being too long before sides realise how to play against Palace though. Time will tell.

To finish - if he is such a talented manager as many claim, then it bemuses me that he was sacked from Charlton, West Ham and Southampton?
    He was sacked by a League 1 team before being employed by Newcastle United. Strangely, Mike Ashley didn't face too much competition for his services. I wonder why?

Palace's best player this year - Yohan Cabaye wasn't scouted by Alan Pardew himself. Pardew was handed Cabaye by head scout Graham Carr (who has brought in pretty much all the decent players in the past five years). Apparently, Mr. Pardew had never heard of Yohan Cabaye when he was signed. Whether there's any truth in that, I'm not sure, but I remember either reading something in the Telegraph about it, or a highly respected journalist remarking it at some stage.

So that leads to to the funny part. Pardew wasn't allowed his way in the transfer window at Newcastle - that is true for the most part. Yet, when he moves on Palace, he brings a player that was handed to him at NUFC. All the time remarking of his frustration not being able to bring in the players he wanted during his time in the North East.

However, he was allowed to sign two players of his own accord at Newcastle United. Gabriel Obertan and Yoan Gouffran. Need I say any more?

Anyway - as supporters who had him as manager of 5 years, its fair to say we know a lot more about him, the way his sides play, and what kind of a character he is. Passionate fella no doubt, but he knew his time was coming to an end at Newcastle United. He said it himself. His record in his last 3 years or so was appalling - he would have been sacked at any other club, there's absolutely no doubt about that.
    To finish - if he is such a talented manager as many claim, then it bemuses me that he was sacked from Charlton, West Ham and Southampton?
    He was sacked by a League 1 team before being employed by Newcastle United. Strangely, Mike Ashley didn't face too much competition for his services. I wonder why?

You didn't question his coaching, scouting or previous record 3 years ago when you were describing his record as "phenomenal"...
    Stripped of our 'best players' in Nolan, Carroll, Barton & Enrique - the scouting team replaced them with better players, on less money, and for fractions of what we received for their predecessors.

Pardew has done a phenomenal job given the circumstances - and unlike managers of past bar Hughton, he is executing a plan that has been laid out for NUFC from the top down.

He's a no brainer for manger of the season for me - Lambert a close second.
    Rodgers in 3rd, he just needs more talented players to cause a real threat to the top half.

Of course, you are entitled to change your mind.

And in fairness, it's good to see a NUFC fan say he'll never get a big club, thought some might try the "but he was at one" line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Yohan Cabaye wasn't scouted by Alan Pardew himself. Pardew was handed Cabaye by head scout Graham Carr

What am I missing here? The manager used his scouts to find and "scout" new players, same as every manager at every club with the money for scouts. They find players, they scout, thats what they are there for, its in the name!

How exactly is this a stick to beat Pardew with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What am I missing here? The manager used his scouts to find and "scout" new players, same as every manager at every club with the money for scouts. They find players, they scout, thats what they are there for, its in the name!

In normal circumstances but it doesn't work like that at Newcastle. The manager is given players choosen by carr, manager has little if any output.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

No - its not too long ago he was been blamed for Newcastle total under achievement , now he his doing well at smaller Palace , and he is the over hyped English Messiah - why not give Tony Pullis a top job too, and see how his anti football is appreciated at old Trafford or the Bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

thebaz wrote: »
    No - its not too long ago he was been blamed for Newcastle total under achievement , now he his doing well at smaller Palace , and he is the over hyped English Messiah - why not give Tony Pullis a top job too, and see how his anti football is appreciated at old Trafford or the Bridge

Chelsea won a champions league playing anti football so maybe they wouldn't have much problem with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Lets not forget that this was the guy who played Hayden Mullins for a whole season instead of Javier Mascherano purely to try to prove a point.

You didn't question his coaching, scouting or previous record 3 years ago when you were describing his record as "phenomenal"...

Of course, you are entitled to change your mind.

And in fairness, it's good to see a NUFC fan say he'll never get a big club, thought some might try the "but he was at one" line.

I'll openly admit that I gave Pardew the benefit of the doubt for longer than I should. Any of the lads over at Newcastle United forum will support that.

He did deserve Manager of the Year that season - he did a great job. The seasons since that have been abysmal. Not because we finished bottom half, moreso the tactics, the substitutions he made, the excuses he came up with to lay the blame at the door at everyone else but himself.

People seem to ignore his record in the last 3 seasons or so which I have been alluding to. It's absolutely atrocious. It would have a manager sacked three times over.

As for scouting - he didn't have very much input into recruitment. He would have told the board he needed a striker etc, before having his suggestion of Darren Bent shot down. He was allowed Obertan and Gouffran, and they are very average to say the least.

Bar Palace fans (at the moment, and that is key!) - how come 99% of the time the folk claiming him to be a really underrated manager that should have a top, top club are those who haven't had him as manager of their team?

You need only ask West Ham, Charlton, Southampton, NUFC fans - who have had him for an extended period of time - what he's like.

Sadly, it a small minority (that usually make it on the radio/Sky Sports!) that portray Newcastle fans as a bunch expecting Champions League each season - which is entirely unrealistic. We just want a managerial setup, and squad that give 100% and go into each game looking somewhat organised. We want a side that tries in derbies, and even Cup games!

It's somewhat different at NUFC.

I'm trying to make the point that Pardew complains about the recruitment strategy he had to work under at Newcastle United every chance he gets, yet he goes and brings a product of that strategy to his new club. If he was so opposed, then surely he wouldn't go near any of those players he had nothing to do with in terms of recruitment? You can't have it both ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

You need only ask West Ham, Charlton, Southampton, NUFC fans - who have had him for an extended period of time - what he's like.
    !

Actually I've spoken with a number of West Ham fans about Pardew and the sentiments would be mixed. They were in a right state whilst he was there. At Southampton his sacking was a shock at the time and the fans expressed their dissatisfaction. They'd won 4-0 the game before and he had the club going in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It's somewhat different at NUFC.

I'm trying to make the point that Pardew complains about the recruitment strategy he had to work under at Newcastle United every chance he gets, yet he goes and brings a product of that strategy to his new club. If he was so opposed, then surely he wouldn't go near any of those players he had nothing to do with in terms of recruitment? You can't have it both ways.

But there is nothing contradictory about his stance?

Just because he didn't like the recruitment strategy or setup at the club doesn't mean that he has to think every product of it was a crap player.

For example, a club could have a crap youth development program with some rubbish coaches, but that doesn't mean a really good young player can't still be found and come through the system.

Pardew may think that the set up at Newcastle was a load of rubbish, but that doesn't at all mean that he can't rate Yohann Cabaye as a player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Bar Palace fans (at the moment, and that is key!) - how come 99% of the time the folk claiming him to be a really underrated manager that should have a top, top club are those who haven't had him as manager of their team?

This is the key. Newcastle fans aren't some special breed with ideas above their place in English football, they're the same as the rest of us. They weren't happy with him, and he was their manager. Who are we, who didn't have the Pardew experience, to judge otherwise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Chelsea won a champions league playing anti football so maybe they wouldn't have much problem with it.

in fairness, they were nothing like the long ball hoofball played by Pullis

This is the key. Newcastle fans aren't some special breed with ideas above their place in English football, they're the same as the rest of us. They weren't happy with him, and he was their manager. Who are we, who didn't have the Pardew experience, to judge otherwise?

The same logic could apply to just about any player or manager.

Chelsea fans think John Terry is wonderful? Well, they should know.

Spurs fans think Harry Kane is the greatest ever? No arguing there, they see him every week.

West Ham fans think their football is special? They gotta be right, how would you or I know.

etc. etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The same logic could apply to just about any player or manager.

Chelsea fans think John Terry is wonderful? Well, they should know.

Spurs fans think Harry Kane is the greatest ever? No arguing there, they see him every week.

West Ham fans think their football is special? They gotta be right, how would you or I know.

etc. etc. etc.
    Not really the same thing is it? John Terry is a Chelsea stalwart, and has won everything he could have while there. Of course they're going to like him and ignore the less savoury parts of his career.

Spurs fans don't think Harry Kane is the greatest ever, and I have no idea what to make of the last one. What's your point here?

I'll ask you this directly - do you think that Newcastle United fans, almost united in their desire to have Pardew removed from the club, are some special group of fans that don't see football in the same way as the rest of us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

I rarely post on Boards

Nearly 4000 posts tells a different story ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

thebaz wrote: »

They already have their own purveyor of Anti-Football.

But maybe not for much longer.

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

You got me :pac:

It should have said, rarely post nowadays.

Don't be jealous you, with your 1075 posts :pac:

Not really the same thing is it? John Terry is a Chelsea stalwart, and has won everything he could have while there. Of course they're going to like him and ignore the less savoury parts of his career.

Spurs fans don't think Harry Kane is the greatest ever, and I have no idea what to make of the last one. What's your point here?

The point was very simple.

The suggestion that opinions by people with no interest in the club are less valid is not gonna wash on a football site where everyone has opinions on everything.

Many Irish people have strong opinions on clubs in the UK without even seeing them play that regularly!

Furthermore, surely the opinion by NUFC fans that he was bad is countered by Palace fans who think he's great. Do you think Palace fans are some special group of fans who don't see football in the same way as the rest of us?

The point was very simple.

The suggestion that opinions by people with no interest in the club are less valid is not gonna wash on a football site where everyone has opinions on everything.

Many Irish people have strong opinions on clubs in the UK without even seeing them play that regularly!

Furthermore, surely the opinion by NUFC fans that he was bad is countered by Palace fans who think he's great. Do you think Palace fans are some special group of fans who don't see football in the same way as the rest of us?

Of course Palace fans think he's great. They're going great guns in the Premier League. They're on the ride of their lives right now. Pardew is riding along with them the way Ranieri is all aboard the Leicester Express.

It doesn't mean they should be getting the Arsenal/Man City jobs.

Newcastle is the biggest club Pardew will ever manage and he only got that job via Ashley because they're mates and who is ruining the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Don't think anybody is saying they're less valid. It's just that we've watched more of Newcastle under Pardew than many other people who may have only seen highlights or watched Newcastle when their team was playing them.

There was a trend in the media (despite the complete overlooking of results under him) that we should be lucky to have him and that he was doing a good job.

It's that type of stuff that's bandied about that people latched onto and didn't see - or didn't want to see - the full facts with him.

You'd have to go digging for my many thoughts about Pardew. No point in repeating them because my opinion hasn't/won't change.

Yet, you can spout nonsense about Newcastle fans/Newcastle as a club despite barely watching us. Stupid point tbh.

Palace fans obviously think he's great. He's got them placed high in the league. Is it their highest league position in the Premier League at the moment?

Why would they think he's a terrible manager when he's got them flying high at the moment?

Long term results may well speak for themselves but I remember when we finished 5th under Pardew, most Newcastle fans (not necessarily on Boards) on forums were happy to forget his previous jobs where he did badly.

Why? We were doing well. Best season in bloody ages. Then it all went to shít. The ego started showing through. The brashness of the man. The piss poor tactics. The BS excuses.

It all came roaring back.

May never happen at Palace and I do like them as a club so I hope they don't experience a serious lull in form as we did but with Pardew history has a way of repeating itself given his track record.

Time will obviously tell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement