Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pardew for a top job

2»

Comments

That_Guy wrote: »
    Yet, you can spout nonsense about Newcastle fans/Newcastle as a club despite barely watching us. Stupid point tbh.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

You do know that you don't have to go to Newcastle to hear the reaction of NUFC fans?

You may have an opinion on Inter Milan as a club, or think the fans of Dortmund are great, without actually setting foot in either city! It's kerrazzee, innit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

You do know that you don't have to go to Newcastle to hear the reaction of NUFC fans?

You may have an opinion on Inter Milan as a club, or think the fans of Dortmund are great, without actually setting foot in either city! It's kerrazzee, innit?

I love how you don't bother with any of his other statements in that comment :pac:

All in all, everyone is entitled to their opinion on Mr. Pardew and football in general. What I and the majority of Newcastle United fans have issue with is the fact neutrals (who might not watch/be tuned into events at NUFC bar MOTD) completely overlook his results in his last three seasons. The heavy defeats, the ridiculous behaviour on the sideline, but I emphasise results because football is a results based business.

Pardew would have been sacked at any other club, a few times over based not only on his behaviour (altercation with Meyler) but mainly results.
    Why can't Newcastle fans be allowed to voice their discontent over constant defeats and poor form without being labelled 'fickle'?
    The regularity of 0-4,0-5,0-6, defeats became intolerable.

Anyway, I've said my bit.
    Gladly, there are quite a few sensible heads on here that can our stance.

All in all, everyone is entitled to their opinion on Mr. Pardew and football in general. What I and the majority of Newcastle United fans have issue with is the fact neutrals (who might not watch/be tuned into events at NUFC bar MOTD) completely overlook his results in his last three seasons. The heavy defeats, the ridiculous behaviour on the sideline, but I emphasise results because football is a results based business.

Including last season? The season where he pretty much kept 2 clubs up in one season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The point was very simple.

The suggestion that opinions by people with no interest in the club are less valid is not gonna wash on a football site where everyone has opinions on everything.

Many Irish people have strong opinions on clubs in the UK without even seeing them play that regularly!

Furthermore, surely the opinion by NUFC fans that he was bad is countered by Palace fans who think he's great. Do you think Palace fans are some special group of fans who don't see football in the same way as the rest of us?
    I didn't once say that non-Newcastle fans opinions are invalid, so your point is pretty irrelevant. In any case, it's hardly unanimous among football fans that aren't Newcastle fans that he should have stayed.

He's done well for Palace, so of course they're going to like him. This is about Newcastle.

Why, instead of turning the question on me, don't you just answer it?

He's done well for Palace, so of course they're going to like him. This is about Newcastle.

Actually, that's where you're wrong.

This is about Pardew, the clue is in the title.

As you say, he's done well for Palace, if anything you may be guilty of some understatement there. And clearly, as the NUFC fan you quoted called him, they at times thought him phenomenal...even though now they clearly want to gloss over those accolades and insist that he is better described by their reaction during the bad times there. Naturally being fans they think avoiding relegation is awful whereas others think it's no bad feat given their record before and after him. NUFC fans are not some special group, they simply have a very understandable bias when it comes to expectations about their club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

they at times thought him phenomenal...even though now they clearly want to gloss over those accolades and insist that he is better described by their reaction during the bad times there.

This is me glossing over Pardew's accolades.
    I remember when we finished 5th under Pardew, most Newcastle fans (not necessarily on Boards) on forums were happy to forget his previous jobs where he did badly.

Why? We were doing well. Best season in bloody ages.

As I said after that, it did turn to shít and it stayed shít for a long long time. Of course he is going to go down as a poor manager. 1 good season does not gloss over his many seasons of failure as Newcastle manager.

You seem to believe that he should be better described for his one good season he had with us. Why is that? Why ignore the complete and utter failure he was under us in favour of one good season.
    Naturally being fans they think avoiding relegation is awful whereas othethink it's no bad feat given their record before and after him.

It's the way we avoided relegation under him. The 2013/14 season sticks out the most. "Oh but you should have been happy to finish 10th." We lost 19 Premier League games that season. HALF OF OUR LEAGUE GAMES!! Only reason we didn't go down is because everyone below us were somehow even worse than us.

A pathetic record. But I guess we should be grateful right?
    they simply have a very understandable bias when it comes to expectations about their club.

The expectations of following a team who, like against Spurs and Liverpool actually show up and give a bit of fúcking bottle for the jersey. This should be the bare minimum for teams but it's nice when our lofty expectations are met and we can actually bare watching this team again. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I'm not specifically saying this about Pardew but it's interesting reading the thread and it's something that crops up now and again, that managers are very rarely given the space for the possibility for improvement opinion wise the same way players are. Like if a manager gets sacked in 1 job he'll be forever a bad manager regardless of what he does after etc. As I said that's not specifically about Pardew because he did seem to bluff it a bit in the last while at Newcastle and I can remember plenty of Newcastle fans giving out about him, on the flip side he is doing quite well at Palace now. I think next season at Palace will be an interesting one, when he has a full season under his belt and 2 further transfer windows how he shapes the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

You've got to love when people say Pardew was restricted by the transfer policy at Newcastle. Got handed brilliant players like Debuchy, Cabaye, Sissoko, Ben Arfa, Ba, Cisse and Remy. No way would he have bought better players if he was allowed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Boom bust cycle continues. No palace goals since December. Echos of his 2nd full season at nufc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

It is strange that the other Pardew thread that was bumped seemingly every time Palace won hasn't been posted in for a while.
    The next few games will be a big test for Pardew. He was very good when his team built up momentum (like his first season in the PL with West Ham) but once the team got into a rut (ala second PL season at West Ham) he had no ability to get them out of it.
    They've some winnable league games coming up so we'll see if that has changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

It is strange that the other Pardew thread that was bumped seemingly every time Palace won hasn't been posted in for a while.
    The next few games will be a big test for Pardew. He was very good when his team built up momentum (like his first season in the PL with West Ham) but once the team got into a rut (ala second PL season at West Ham) he had no ability to get them out of it.
    They've some winnable league games coming up so we'll see if that has changed.

He's a great lad when winning, out drinking with the fans, telling you how great he is, of and the players.

Can't handle losing, headbutts players, shouts obscenities at opposition managers, blames players, blames fans, blames injuries, blames referees etc. His arrogance is his downfall. He genuinely believes it's never his fault. That attitude will lose you the dressing room and eventually the fans. It's happened time and time again. I don't think any club that had him as a manager would have him back.

He may get out of it this time but all the signs are there albeit a little earlier than usual

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

at the moment he has the excuse of striker injuries, but it is happening earlier than usual, I thought it would be next season.

I heard he had a unwarranted dig at Neil Warnock last week, the tell-tale signs are there already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

dfx- wrote: »
    I heard he had a unwarranted dig at Neil Warnock last week,.

Theres no such thing.:D

Advertisement