Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny. Is it worth picking up for €30

Options
  • 13-12-2015 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭

Never got in to destiny and it looks like Halo. Is it worth dipping my toe into the water now.

I play FPS games but spend more time offline than online in most games. COD and BF4 are the only games that buck that trend for me.

Have Fifa and black ops bought at nice prices for myself at Xmas already. Does destiny need a lot of time invested. Do you need to keep buying crap online once you buy legendary edition.

I would ask in the destiny thread but it is a bit pointless as it is likely going to be a resounding yes. Looking for those of you that have bought it, played it and either stepped away or kept it.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Definitely not for 30. The game has had a massive expansion update and because of this the original game has been gutted with the best content now locked out. You'll need to get the legendary edition with all the expansions and a heftier price tag to get to the full experience.

Id also say no because it's a boring game. Brilliant fps mechanics wasted on dull repeating level design and scratch card lottery loot system from a MMO. For most people it's more of a chat room with their mates where they shoot stuff while talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Damien360 wrote: »
    Do you need to keep buying crap online once you buy legendary edition.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Definitely not for 30. The game has had a massive expansion update and because of this the original game has been gutted with the best content now locked out. You'll need to get the legendary edition with all the expansions and a heftier price tag to get to the full experience.

The legendary edition is what he's on about and it's 30 right now on PSN, for another day or so.

Next paid DLC is fall 2016, but updates in the mean time are free bar all the cosmetic stuff (emotes, dances, and such).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Damien360

Varik wrote: »
    The legendary edition is what he's on about and it's 30 right now on PSN, for another day or so.

Next paid DLC is fall 2016, but updates in the mean time are free bar all the cosmetic stuff (emotes, dances, and such).

You are correct. Very hard to pass it up for €30 with all past DLC included. YouTube is not giving me any sense of what kind of game it really is.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

You are correct. Very hard to pass it up for €30 with all past DLC included. YouTube is not giving me any sense of what kind of game it really is.

It's a grinder.
    If you plan on playing on your own, I'd advise you to forget it.

If you do get it, make sure your mates get it too or join the boards group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I like a good grind and shooting things in the face but Destiny has never seriously interested me as yet, tis a weird one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Id also say no because it's a boring game. Brilliant fps mechanics wasted on dull repeating level design and scratch card lottery loot system from a MMO. For most people it's more of a chat room with their mates where they shoot stuff while talking.

That's not all wrong but harsh imo.

I and many others have lost hundreds upon hundreds of hours to this game.

Yes it's got a flawed loot system and yes the story line up until recent dlc in particular has been just woeful... But and its a really big but..

The gameplay is just so ****ing good. And I mean it is seriously good.

It's so good in fact that I agree it should be boring repeating the same levels over and over but it's just not.

Instead it becomes addictive. You don't even realise you're playing he same level again because the gun play is so damn satisfying.

I don't have any real friends playing it but had some fantastic fun with the guys on the destiny thread who are more than accommodating to newbies. Hell they put up with me playing on vita remotely not even mic'd up on a game that relies to a large extent on teamwork.

Anyway bottom line is if you like fps's if absolutely go for it at €30 once it's the legendary edition as it has everything on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It's so good in fact that I agree it should be boring repeating the same levels over and over but it's just not.

Instead it becomes addictive. You don't even realise you're playing he same level again because the gun play is so damn satisfying.

That's what killed it for me, I got bored and burned out playing the same level over and over and over. It was torture and the carrot dangling at the end of the stick all the time just didn't justify it to me at all.

I could feel the game draining my life through the TV but each to their own. There are much better shooters with much better gameplay out there for €30 imo.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

That's what killed it for me, I got bored and burned out playing the same level over and over and over. It was torture and the carrot dangling at the end of the stick all the time just didn't justify it to me at all.

I could feel the game draining my life through the TV but each to their own. There are much better shooters with much better gameplay out there for €30 imo.

Same here. Quickly bored to tears with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,954 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Are there though, in terms of time?

You may find CoD, for example, less of a issue in terms of repeating levels and maps - because most people will only play through the SP campaign once (if ever) and then just play multiplayer. The gun play in Destiny is a match for, if not better than, anything offered up elsewhere.

I would say, especially with the The Taken King expansion there is a lot more story in the single player campaign than any other FPS. After the single player stuff you have the comunity and co-op aspects (such as the 6 payer raids) and also the generic competitive multiplayer aspects (which are under developed).

Sinking hundreds or thousands of hours of time into the repeating campaign aspects can be a killer for some people, but it doesn't HAVE to be that way and I don't think you will find a better shooter at €30. Or at least Destiny will have a very convincing argument at that price point against any game.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭seany212121

I don't really agree, what is better? I mean it is probably one of the best gun-play games out at the moment. I bought the game in October and have had a blast since, levelled all 3 characters up to 315 done the raids old and new and still have a lot left to do. It can be grindy at times but also fun, the amount of people I have met and played with just playing Destiny has been great well worth 30 I must say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I don't really agree, what is better? I mean it is probably one of the best gun-play games out at the moment. .

For me, Wolfenstein, Far Cry 4, Borderlands Remastered and Metro Reduex all have better or as good gunplay mechanics imo.

I'd take Borderlands any day hands down over Destiny, it's a far better grinder, looter shooter to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

For me, Wolfenstein, Far Cry 4, Borderlands Remastered and Metro Reduex all have better or as good gunplay mechanics imo.

I'd take Borderlands any day hands down over Destiny, it's a far better grinder, looter shooter to me.

I've played all these games and they're all very good but sank much more time into Destiny. For value for money Destiny's a far better option. That said if you don't like it you don't like it but it's addicted the hell out of some of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Damien360

I decided to jump at the price and bought it. Played it last night with one of the boards clan guys for a few hours. First impressions are ok but good god the menu system is a mess. Genuinely could'nt figure out what I was supposed to be doing. I was walked through a few early sections and I am still a bit confused. It looks lovely and seems vast. Not a lot of co-op going on unless you actually look for it. Lots of players in the level but each doing their own thing. Gonna stick with it for a few weeks and see if it grows on me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I decided to jump at the price and bought it. Played it last night with one of the boards clan guys for a few hours. First impressions are ok but good god the menu system is a mess. Genuinely could'nt figure out what I was supposed to be doing. I was walked through a few early sections and I am still a bit confused. It looks lovely and seems vast. Not a lot of co-op going on unless you actually look for it. Lots of players in the level but each doing their own thing. Gonna stick with it for a few weeks and see if it grows on me.

Thread served it's purpose, going to lock it and any discussion can continue on the Destiny thread in main forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I despised vanilla Destiny - once you get past the unquestionably satisfying central 'shooting stuff' mechanics, everything that surrounds it felt shallow, repetitive and ultimately numbing. If you're looking to play on your own, stay well away as far as I'd be concerned - I'd seen everything it had to offer well before even the end of the main campaign, let alone the post-game stuff. It illustrated a total lack of imagination in terms of level or overall mission design, with its best stuff requiring unreasonably lengthy time commitments to get to. (admittedly, consensus seems to be Taken King is a significant improvement in many ways)

That said, it's more than obvious at this stage that the game - despite of, or maybe even because of, what I'd consider 'flaws', it's fair to say it's won itself one hell of a loyal fanbase. I think if you're the sort of player who enjoys picking away at a single game for an hour or two a day for months on end, Destiny might be your best bet outside of the competitive scene. And yeah, if you have friends or want to play with others that's where the game seems to shine (although I'd argue company can make most mediocre or worse games tolerable, but that's another argument).

I don't think there's any game out there that would come with such a pronounced 'not for everyone' disclaimer. As much as I hated it, I've seen enough people be bewitched about it to suspect it's doing something right for a whole lot of people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement