Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs in city centre on Stephens day?

Options
  • 13-12-2015 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know if many pubs are open that day? Particularly ones around grafton Street area?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

All pubs are open on Stephens´ day. One of the busiest nights of the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Not in Dublin city centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,853 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Absolute reverse in the city centre. Similarly most are closed by about 4 on the 24th.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

What about hotel bars?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

The city centre is like a ghost town on Stephen's Day. I think Porter House on Nassau Street and Buck's were open when I went out that one year. Wouldn't bother going into town now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The one I know for sure, the Stags Head is definitely shut on Stephens Day. Hotel bars tend to remain residents only for that day - otherwise they'd be packed. You might be able to slip in by yourself if you know a barman or manager but certainly not in any large numbers.
    Anything that does open it's doors would be jammed. Stay home, have vodka on your cornflakes and listen to the neighbours battering each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Haznat

O'Neills on Suffolk Street are open and grand for sitting around watching the football.

Bruxelles used to open reasonably late as well, not sure if they still do.

There's a few more open as well. Stephens Day to New Years Eve is a magical time in town. Most of the blow ins have gone home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

It's not as bad as it used to be but there's definitely a lot of shut pubs. If you head in, you'll definitely find a few places open but if you're specifically heading in to go to certain places, you'd be better off asking them in advance if they open.

Found this.

[url] http://publin.ie/2014/pubs-open-st-stephens-day/[/url]

Some OK pubs in there. I think I had pints in Kehoes before on Stephen's night too but best to check in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Haznat wrote: »
    O'Neills on Suffolk Street are open and grand for sitting around watching the football.

Bruxelles used to open reasonably late as well, not sure if they still do.

There's a few more open as well. Stephens Day to New Years Eve is a magical time in town. Most of the blow ins have gone home.

I normally head in around that time, maybe 27th or 28th. One or 2 bars closed, but nothing too bad, but it's definitely quite.
    Compared to towns around the country which are wedged. I prefer the city at this time of year.
    BTW, I hate bruxelles since they got rid of the duke boxes and gave it the makeover :mad: Probably still end up there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Kehoes on south anne street opens on the 26th but it closes up around 7 or did last year, Doheny & Nesbitts is defo open though, and its usually pretty quiet and relaxed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I go out in Dublin city most Stephens' Day. Town is busy enough. Not every pub is open but there are enough to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

gazzer wrote: »
    I go out in Dublin city most Stephens' Day. Town is busy enough. Not every pub is open but there are enough to choose from.

Cheers, decision made based on this. Its all I need to know

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Also St. Stephen's Day is on a Saturday this year so it might be busier than usual.

Advertisement