Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a gaming console

Options
  • 13-12-2015 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I am thinking of buying a gaming console for nieces and nephews which will be home for Christmas Ages range from 3 to 13 So would need something with longevity And a good range of games for boys and girls.
    I presume prices of console and games are similar Internet connection is also quite poor
    so will be buying games
    I have no clue about gaming Or what exactly I need.
    Hopefully someone can give me some pointers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

If there's a bunch going to be playing at the same time, a Wii with a few games, e.g. Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros. Wii Party might be a good call. They and the games can be gotten cheap these days

WiiU is the new Nintendo console and can play all the above games, but is a good bit more expensive than a Wii. New games were coming out for the WiiU all the time, the Wii is finished afaik

Other hand you've Xbox and PlayStation, neither of which really caters for local multiplayer anymore so I doubt they're as suitable, though someone may correct me.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 screcrow

If there's a bunch going to be playing at the same time, a Wii with a few games, e.g. Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros. Wii Party might be a good call. They and the games can be gotten cheap these days

WiiU is the new Nintendo console and can play all the above games, but is a good bit more expensive than a Wii. New games were coming out for the WiiU all the time, the Wii is finished afaik

Other hand you've Xbox and PlayStation, neither of which really caters for local multiplayer anymore so I doubt they're as suitable, though someone may correct me.

Great shout hadn't toughtof that one
    Would it be hard to find the old wii for sale having something they can all play together would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

screcrow wrote: »
    Great shout hadn't toughtof that one
    Would it be hard to find the old wii for sale having something they can all play together would be great

Adverts.ie might do you or if not and there is a cex near you then you will probably get sorted in there. If you don't have one near you you can buy from their site https://ie.webuy.com/ no idea if yo uwill get that in time for xmas though at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The thing that will increase the price on the Wii or any console is getting extra controllers so more than one person can play at a time

Have I got this straight you can buy the wii without having to buy the wiiU
    I like the look of the games on the Wii not too complicated for the younger ones
    Does anyone know where I could buy it around north Tipp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

They're two separate consoles, the WiiU can play all Wii and WiiU games, but the Wii only plays Wii games. Can be used totally independently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Have I got this straight you can buy the wii without having to buy the wiiU
    I like the look of the games on the Wii not too complicated for the younger ones
    Does anyone know where I could buy it around north Tipp

If you didn't mind a preowned one, The Gaming Lounge in Nenagh has one for sale- i can stand over the console as it was mine but i donated it to the shop. If i remember correctly theres two wiimotes, two numchucks and one gamecube style controller.

ibFoxer wrote: »
    If you didn't mind a preowned one, The Gaming Lounge in Nenagh has one for sale- i can stand over the console as it was mine but i donated it to the shop. If i remember correctly theres two wiimotes, two numchucks and one gamecube style controller.

Definitely will have a look But trying to decide between the older wii and the wiiu. as the games will get limited in a few years So it probably depends on price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Definitely will have a look But trying to decide between the older wii and the wiiu. as the games will get limited in a few years So it probably depends on price

AFAIK he has the Wii for around €55, games are relatively cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Wii is grand, but one major problem is that it does not have any version of minecraft and kids love minecraft. (there may be a version for the Wii U but it hasn't been released yet.)

Minecraft is a really creative game that is hugely popular amongst kids of all ages.
    My son who is 6 loves it, and he plays it with his 4 year old sister and his 11 and 13 year old cousins

We have a WII and an Xbox 360. The wii never gets taken out anymore, the xbox is used all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Minecraft just got released on the Wii U, it's not on the Wii afaik. It's on all the grown up consoles though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Shiminay wrote: »
    Minecraft just got released on the Wii U, it's not on the Wii afaik. It's on all the grown up consoles though.

:pac::rolleyes::pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

LOL, as the kids say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Wii is a grand purchase but it will have less attraction for the older kids you mention.
    That said, the games range for the Wii is outstanding and there's tons of stuff there.
    It got everything from Call of Duty Modern Warfare to Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy 2 to Wii Play.
    It might not be the console they are playing in a years time but it has plenty to occupy them in the meantime.

Otherwise, I would probably go for a recent model of the PS3 or 360, there is a massive range of games on both and neither must have a network connection, though it is handy.
    Games for these consoles are winding down, in terms of new releases, but this hardly matters given the 10 years of a back catalogue they have, with tons of games on both.
    I would nearly lean towards the PS3 as it has the likes of Puppeteer, Need for Speed, Little Big Planet and Rayman, not to mention hundreds of others, and most for near a tenner each or less at this point.
    Keep an eye on Adverts for a great deal, you'll probably find one for €100 with two controllers and some games too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I am thinking of buying a gaming console for nieces and nephews which will be home for Christmas Ages range from 3 to 13 So would need something with longevity And a good range of games for boys and girls.
    I presume prices of console and games are similar Internet connection is also quite poor
    so will be buying games
    I have no clue about gaming Or what exactly I need.
    Hopefully someone can give me some pointers

I have a good few nieces and nephews ranging from that age and I can tell you that all they will want is any console as long as it has Minecraft. Both sets of nephews and nieces have gotten Wii-U's in the past and just stopped using them after a while.
    The nephews love FIFA and wrestling games as well btw but Mincecraft is pretty much all they need if their young enough.

Tanks for the great posts and some very useful information
    It looks to be a choice between the wii and ps3 I can get a new ps3 500GB for €i50.00 Which doesn't sound to bad.
    NO minecraft could be a problem with the wii I am leaning towards the PS 3 as well

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭alex.middleton

alienware pc.overpriced goodness

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

no one should be forced to suffer the cost of these

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Is this recommendation or a joke..... either way it's AWFUL

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I didn't know you were capable of trolling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement