Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming keyboard recommendations

Options
  • 13-12-2015 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi all,

Was trying to scrimp on a gaming build, planning to put cheap keyboard and mouse with it, but got a free gaming mouse (MSI) with mobo of unknown quality, and now feel the pressure to get a gaming keyboard.

1) I always thought gaming keyboards were just a marketing trick to get the gullible to part with their money. Is this true or are there actual benefits to gaming keyboards?

2) What is the rough minimum budget I would need to spend to get said benefits?

3) Can anyone recommend a keyboard or 2 that represent a sweet spot of quality/value? Or at a minimum, something tolerably cheap that simply looks/says gaming on the packet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I gamed for years on a 15 year old Dell keyboard, and upgrading to a €100 mechanical one hasn't made me any better at games.

If you're spending big money, go mechanical as they're nice to type on and last years
    If you want something sweet and simple, stick with membrane, but have a look around. Gaming is a tag you can stick anywhere to bump the price, its not going to make you shoot any faster in CSGO

The main draw to a keyboard is that it should be nice to type on imo, they all game the same

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Your typing may get slightly faster, a bit more accurate and less fatiguing for long typing sessions. Gaming? Eh, I can imagine there being a noticeable difference for elite RTS players and similar between keyboards and different switches but for us plebs, no.

It is much nicer to type on a mechanical though in my opinion. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Linus Tech tips has some good info on Keyboards.

I personally love me K95 RGB but mainly because it lights up! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

wont necessarily make you any better at gaming . i too gamed for years on a standard dell keyboard and then got a "Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth" (the stealth has quieter mechanical switches so not as loud as standard mech keyboards ) and theres no way i could go back to a standard keyboard . it doesnt make you any better at games but they just feel so much nicer to type on and the back lit keys are awesome . wrecks my head now not having back lit keys :o

This is mine and i can recommend it . the newer version has green back lighting

14726Razer%20Blackwidow%20Ultimate%20Stealth.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Mechanical keyboards for gaming, Just better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭€>sense

The black widow is €100.

Too much unfortunately. Anything under €50?

This is for a 10 yo

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

The Steelseries Apex 300 (or 100 I think) is a cheapo one that is pretty good IMO. Used it for a few years as a birthday gift from my uncle.
    CoolerMaster's Devastator keyboard is ok, it's cheap I guess.
    Roccat should have cheap ones, and they ship to Ireland too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

I have a logitech g500s, nice keyboard, rgb lighting not sure on current price tho

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Linus Tech tips has some good info on Keyboards.

I personally love me K95 RGB but mainly because it lights up! :pac:

I got the corsair K40 for the same reason, with the additional volume/media controls :P

Cost me about 55 bucks i think

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

If it's for a ten-year-old, there's absolutely no point. Get something cheaper, until they get some experience of what games they like to play, then they can look into different switch types, etc. from there.

• Advertisement

For a ten year old - an xbox controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭€>sense

Thx guys,

Aldi have something that might impress a 10 year old, €16.99:

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sun-13-dec/products-detail-page/ps/p/gaming-accessories/

Any thoughts?

I'd say thats perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭AntDub

€>sense wrote: »
    Thx guys,

Aldi have something that might impress a 10 year old, €16.99:

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sun-13-dec/products-detail-page/ps/p/gaming-accessories/

Any thoughts?

The one above looks very similar the one(below) I got my nephew when I did his build, he loves it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00J2U3D7G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Advertisement