Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do I need to upgrade?

• 13-12-2015 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭

just received this mail and I'm wondering if it's for real? thoughts anyone ? I am still using Windows XP.

Dear user, In a few weeks, we will be making some changes to our email services that might impact your @;outlook.com, @;hotmail, @;live or @msn email account. These changes will prevent your email from being delivered to the Windows Live Mail 2012 application that you use. In order to continue using Windows Live Mail 2012 to send and receive email for your account, you need to install the latest update published here. If you use Windows Live Mail 2012 on Windows 8, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, we recommend that you switch to the built-in Mail app in Windows to stay connected and get the latest feature updates on Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. Windows Live Essentials 2009 and 2011 are not supported any more, and you will need to update to Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10 and use the Mail app, or use www.outlook.com. To learn more about the Mail app, please click here. We also recommend all Windows Live Mail users on Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 to upgrade to Windows 10 and use the built-in Mail application to stay connected and get the latest feature updates. We suggest saving this email so you can refer to it later. Thank you for your understanding and continued use. Yours sincerely,
    The Outlook team

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Seems legit to me the warning is coming from MS to say the mail cleint they detect you using will go dark or end of life for interoperability to the outlook mail servers for mail collection .

IF you are worried perform your upgrades your self and dont use the links they look legit and point to the correct sites (As far as i can tell) .

IF you installed even a dodgy copy of win7 you will still get t he free upgrade program to move to windows 10.

OR just find a mail client that can pick up from outlook or wherever your pulling mail from . You could always check the header of the mail for the smtp relay and destiniation and sending infos ? IT does not look like spam or scam attempt , but then again you are using XP. (Possibly your DNS is poisioned to push you to a rougue version of the site) I could go on about the possibly you are , but at the end of it you are using an out of date OS with no vuln patching and its out of support . XP is 12 years old im sure you have a very good reason to sit in im asking for it heaven.

Advertisement