Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blurry/fuzzy pdf

Options
  • 13-12-2015 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I got my hands on an ebook that's in a pdf format for a course I am doing at the minute. The problem is that the text and the images are all blurry/fuzzy making it a pain to read, I have to zoom right in to read the text. Also the text is not searchable if looking for a certain word - I guess the pages themselves are images. Is there any free software available to fix this? Apologies if I am asking the impossible without the original file.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Terre wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I got my hands on an ebook that's in a pdf format for a course I am doing at the minute. The problem is that the text and the images are all blurry/fuzzy making it a pain to read, I have to zoom right in to read the text. Also the text is not searchable if looking for a certain word - I guess the pages themselves are images. Is there any free software available to fix this? Apologies if I am asking the impossible without the original file.

If the book was scanned as images with a low resolution, that would explain the poor quality. You can't ocr low res images to make searchable text.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

It's also possible that you don't have the embedded fonts installed on your PC.
    I haven't heard that happening in a while, but there is\was a trick to fixing it. I can't remember.
    I think it you had to open it in preview mode and save it as a new document...?

I can't remember correctl.
    Try Foxit PDF, I think that installs a few fonts with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Terre

mordeith wrote: »
    If the book was scanned as images with a low resolution, that would explain the poor quality. You can't ocr low res images to make searchable text.

I am afraid that might be the case. The text is barely legible at best, very frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Allyall wrote: »
    It's also possible that you don't have the embedded fonts installed on your PC.

It's not a font issue - OP can't do a text search so what he has is a series of scanned images. If you're missing fonts, Adobe will tell you as soon as you open the PDF and it will name the ones you're missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Terre wrote: »
    I am afraid that might be the case. The text is barely legible at best, very frustrating

One of the downsides of illegitimate content...

• Advertisement
Advertisement