Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Next (2016) Gov: FF, FG & Lab? (Bankers Gov?)

• 13-12-2015 5:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

Original Thread has been Archived in the Forum reorgisation.

Anyway.. Sunday Times Behaviour and Attitudes survey this weekend:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2015/1212/753165-opinion-poll/

The results are:
    Paper(Poll)/Party|Fine Gael|Fianna Fáil|Ind./Others|Sinn Fein|Labour
    Poll|31|19|24|17|8

That totals 99. Hrmmm.. Well shur..

FG/FF/Lab are still at 58%. Still well into the majority.

FG/FF by themselves are down to 50%.

The support chart now with the line on the way back down:
    371607.png

Paddy Power odds show the Top is still FG/FF, 2 is also still FG/Lab but 3 is now FG Minority. The odds are:
    http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/irish-politics?ev_oc_grp_ids=591647
    The favourites are:
    FG/FF 11/8
    FG Minority 5/2
    FG/Lab 9/2

Looks like their money is still on FG and FF. Interesting that FG Minority has moved into second place since last time. FG/Lab now at 3rd place.

FG/FF/Lab has moved out to 16/1 although FG/FF/Any other party(s) is 4th at 8/1

Less than 4 months left now from what I understand. I'm guessing they're waiting till after the holidays to set a date.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

What is a "bankers government"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It's a corrupt and traitorous government that sold the proud and independent hibernian nation of Ireland to the foreign bankers when the what nation needed most was the proud and independent gaels to rise up as one and strike a blow for our freedom like the patriots of '16 and '98 and when will we shout "no to foreign bankers and foreign games" on our four green fields oh when will fermanagh be returned to the mother country all because of these traitorous spliveens and lickspittles in the corrupt government that sold us to the bankers oh for what did the fenian men of 16 die for this is this what we were sold out to the bankers i saw a video on youtube about money and money creation and debt godhelpus debt is a creation of the spleeven bankers who we were all sold out to be these west brit scum in government when will we elect sinn fein wake up ireland?

Presumably it's something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I think it may be rhyming slang...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Alright, Red C poll for the Sunday Business Post taken at the beginning of the week:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0116/760734-polls-show-fianna-fail-support-on-the-rise/

The results are:
    Paper(Poll)/Party|Fine Gael|Ind./Others|Fianna Fáil|Sinn Fein|Labour
    Poll|30|23|19|19|9

FG/FF/Lab are still at 58%. Holding steady with the majority.

FG/FF by themselves are down to 49%.

The support chart now with the line holding steady:
    375317.png

Paddy Power odds show the Top is still FG/FF, 2 is also still FG/Lab but 3 is now FG Minority. The odds are:
    http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/irish-politics?ev_oc_grp_ids=591647
    The favourites are:
    FG/FF 13/8
    FG/Lab 9/4
    FG Minority 4/1

Looks like their money is still on FG and FF but weaker odds for it this time. Weaker odds for FG Minority which has moved to third place since last time. FG/Lab now at 2nd place.

FG/FF/Lab has moved out to 18/1 although FG/FF/Any other party(s) is still 4th but again weaker odds at 12/1

Less than 3 months left now from what I understand. Hard to imagine them waiting a lot longer to set a date.

FF just had their Ard Fheis, and ruled out coalition with either FG or SF.

It's another 5 years of backbench irrelevance for them as a second-fiddle opposition party behind Sinn Fein.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

FF just had their Ard Fheis, and ruled out coalition with either FG or SF.

It's another 5 years of backbench irrelevance for them as a second-fiddle opposition party behind Sinn Fein.

I think people see quite clearly through their attempt at buying votes from certain demographics. I'm sick of constant election manifesto's trying to buy votes through welfare increases. Fine Gael seem like the only party trying to find a balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I think the electorate may be disposed to give FG a go at running the economy during economic stability rather than as a crisis measure, just to see what they do.

If a "banker's government" consists of parties who supported the guarantee, though, it can involve anyone but Labour.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yep, with FF out of the coalition race, its looking a pretty safe bet to be a FG-led coalition again. Probably like the last FF government, it'll be more of a mish-mash of FG/Lab + a few useful independents (or even Renua) to keep the numbers up. If FF could gather a massive chunk of the independents on their side, they could potentially swing it, but it would be a short-live mess. Some articles have suggested that Labour could be kingmakers for FF, but that would literally be signing their death warrant. Come the election after this one, Labour would be finished.

The sad thing is that a FG/Lab/Ind coalition is basically the best arrangement that can be made out of what we've got in the Dail. It has the most credibility and best track record out of all the others. Which is saying something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

If we end up with another FG/Lab government, I'll be happy out. It's the best option we have. As uninspiring as they are, they're infinitely preferable to FF's sleaze or SF's outright hypocrisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭For ever odd

Enda's speech at the Ard Fheis, has put FG in with a fighting chance of an overall majority. While he failed to deliver the passion that the script writer had probably envisoned, the message came across well (if slightly condescending), and the electorate will want to believe.

The good people of this nation have been consistently let down by gobeen politics and politicians since the foundation of the state.

It is now time for the next government to recognise that the people of this Country matured 3-4 decades ago and are sick to the back teeth of teenage governance.

To all parties, a word to the wise, get it wrong this time.... prepare to face an unprecedented revolution.

• Advertisement

It is now time for the next government to recognise that the people of this Country matured 3-4 decades ago and are sick to the back teeth of teenage governance.

When Baldy Noonan tried that line in 2002, just 14 years ago, FG got their worst kicking ever from your "mature" electorate, and we got a weasel in a suit leading FG ever since as a direct result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Lockstep wrote: »
    If we end up with another FG/Lab government, I'll be happy out. It's the best option we have. As uninspiring as they are, they're infinitely preferable to FF's sleaze or SF's outright hypocrisy.

There is not a hope in hell that Labour will be in government in a few weeks as that is impossible at this stage. It looks more like a FF & Sinn Féin coalition. Yes it sounds crazy but I have a good feeling that this will be the case. A lot of folk are going to get one hell of a shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

There is not a hope in hell that Labour will be in government in a few weeks as that is impossible at this stage. It looks more like a FF & Sinn Féin coalition. Yes it sounds crazy but I have a good feeling that this will be the case. A lot of folk are going to get one hell of a shock.

The problem is the way the PR and electoral system works. FG/Lab and FF/SF could easily end up on about the same vote share, say 40% each but the Government would have 15/20 seats more, because, well, transfers.

No transfer pact and both don't attract them much.

As for Labour, damned if they do, damned if they don't. If SF are the main opposition party I think they'll get forgotten in opposition.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Genuine question, what's being referred to with "teenage governance"?

A lot of folk are going to get one hell of a shock.

Especially the ones who vote SF.

It's the month of the election! Lots of opinion polls this weekend.

Going with The Sunday Business Post/Red C poll as it's the first listed here:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/election-2016/2016/0206/765956-opinion-polls-sunday/

The results are:
    Paper(Poll)/Party|Fine Gael|Ind./Others|Fianna Fáil|Sinn Fein|Labour
    Poll|31|25|17|17|10

That puts FG/FF/Lab at 58%. Holding steady with the majority.
    Though the other two polls put them lower at 56% and 55%.

FG/FF by themselves are down one to 48%.

The support chart now with the line holding steady:
    377190.png
    uploaded chart to imgur as boards attachment doesn't seem to work:
    La7Mgca.png

Paddy Power odds show the Top is still FG/FF, 2 is also still FG/Lab and 3 is still FG Minority. The odds are:
    The favourites are:
    FG/FF 13/8
    FG/Lab 11/4
    FG Minority 9/1

Looks like their money is stronger on FG and FF this time. Weaker odds for FG/Lab and FG Minority since last time.

FG/FF/Lab has moved out further to 22/1 and FG/FF/Any other party(s) is also weaker at 14/1

Well now, the result remains to be seen but certainly Looking like the strongest parties for doing deals with bankers (FF & FG) are in very strong positions.

Interesting times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Did we find out yet what a 'bankers' government is?

I think yesterday was the first time since the election that just the 3 voted as one group together.

Here are the TDs who voted to take another eight days off from the Dáil
    What’s another week?

Wed 6:59 PM
    http://www.thejournal.ie/tds-vote-to-delay-debate-april-2016-2702039-Apr2016/
    As you can see, the division was fairly simple.

Every TD from Sinn Féin, AAA-PBP, the Social Democrats, the Green Party and almost all Independents – 56 in total – voted against delaying Dáil debate until 14 April.

Every TD from Fine Gael, Fianna Fáil and Labour – 100 in total – voted to wait until next Thursday to meet again.
    Here’s how it turned out:
    382597.jpg
    Source: Click here for a larger image

Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Slydice wrote: »
    I think yesterday was the first time since the election that just the 3 voted as one group together.

Here are the TDs who voted to take another eight days off from the Dáil
    What’s another week?

Wed 6:59 PM
    http://www.thejournal.ie/tds-vote-to-delay-debate-april-2016-2702039-Apr2016/

Interesting.

You don't think it had anything to do with making time for talks on forming a government or anything ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

You don't think it had anything to do with making time for talks on forming a government or anything ?

I think it is clear - some TDs are interested in being the loudest empty vessel in the house without a clue, others are interested in forming a government.

• Advertisement

Interesting. They did it again for this weeks adjournment.

Just the 3 voting together as one group .. again
    383376.png
    Click here for a larger image

Business of Dáil (Continued) Thursday, 14 April 2016
    http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail2016041400006?opendocument
    Question put: "That the Dáil on its rising today shall adjourn until 10.30 a.m. on Wednesday, 20 April 2016."

The Dáil divided: Tá, 100; Níl, 55.

Well, I was wrong :pac:
    Enda Kenny wins narrow vote to continue as Irish prime minister
    http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/84e9529e-1396-11e6-839f-2922947098f0.html#axzz47tWVUH92
    this time at the head of a minority government

T'was an interesting thread to follow all the same.

I imagine there might be some happy folks going to cash in on their February bets today :)
    Slydice wrote: »
    FG Minority 9/1

Advertisement