Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to stop terrier constantly licking paw

• 13-12-2015 6:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭

Looking for tips on how to get my terrier to stop licking paw, its been going on since last October and she has had to wear a cone since but is getting very down in dumps with it on her so looking for some tips.
    Paw got infected so was treated by vet with anticbiotics and had an xray to rule out parasites etc.
    I bought a collar that's similar to a travel pillow that is clipped around her neck but she still manages to get to the hind leg. Its just one leg she is licking constantly.
    Want to eliminate another trip to vet and possible more antibiotics.
    Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Dab some Vicks vaporub or bitter apple paste on the paw. Works like a charm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

She licks sudocream of it! I'll try the Vicks so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

One of my Mum's dogs would do the same thing. He seems to get irritated in between his toes. I think it's an allergy to some grass/foliage. The vet recommended an antihistamine tablet which seems to do the trick. Obviously it involves a trip to the vet, but it could be an option.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Where exactly on her leg is she licking op? Between her toes? Or higher up the leg?

DBB wrote: »
    Where exactly on her leg is she licking op? Between her toes? Or higher up the leg?
    Its up above from her toes on the paw but not to far up the leg. its just one paw she licks. Doesn't bother much with the others

• Advertisement

How often and for how long does she spend doing it?
    Had she any injury, no matter how small, in that area, such as a thorn or a sting? Or any injury or problem in another part of her body, remembering that referred pain can cause licking of one part of the body even though the pain is elsewhere, often a spot the dog can't reach, so they lick anywhere just so that they can at least get some comfort from the licking action. You also have the possibility that any cause of the licking has gone now, but the almost hypnotic, endorphin-releasing action of licking continues as a habit, often re-injuring the skin, causing more licking, and so the cycle continues.
    And how much do you trust your vet? You've a big problem in that you need to find the cause... Stopping the licking is merely stopping the dog showing a symptom that there's an underlying problem. X-ray have shown nothing, but has a skin scrape been done? Or a biopsy taken? Did the vet check the full leg and spine when x-raying to make sure there isn't a problem further up (cf the referred pain I mentioned earlier). To me, these all must be done to try to find out what's going on, because putting Vicks on her, and inflatable collars are not a long-term option. Can you imagine having an itch that won't go away and you can't scratch it?
    Also, what breed of terrier is she, or what mix do you think is in her if she's not a purebred?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

DBB's excellent post aside, does your dog have other things to do with her mouth? Antlers, ropes, Kongs?

My dog likes to lick when she's bored, stressed or feeling neglected but thankfully she's transferred the behaviour from her paws to my ankles and to a few of her toys. It took a bit of work and included Piriton and other anti-histamines to put a stop to the itch trigger as well as Sudocrem at times to soothe. When healed we needed to keep interrupting and waving something in front of her to get her attention. She adores her antlers, a few of her squeaky toys and one particular rope (two others are ignored). She also likes coconut oil on any patch of bare skin.

ETA: Ours seemed initially to be down to harvest mites but the irritation continued after treatment because of the itch due to skin trying to heal and then getting licked again. Eliminating the itch and distracting from the behaviour helped a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Savvy student

My Lab had a similar problem with liking one particular paw. It too got infected. My vet gave us some antibiotics and chilli flavoured tape to stick around the area. The chilli flavoured tape worked like a charm. She was quite old when she started licking her paw (she has since passed) and the vet said that due to her old age arthritis and reduced mobility that many older dogs begin to over-groom themselves. In some cases it can lead to compulsive licking. I applied the tape for a few months, gave her more chews and kongs to busy herself with, and corrected the behaviour when I saw it. It took time but eventually the licking stopped, the area healed and the hair regrew. Maybe similar strategies could help op?

Appreciate all the replies.
    Just back from vet, he has prescribed a stronger antibiotic and steroid for 3 weeks along with a spray to put on the leg. He's quite confident this will do the trick. He shave the leg so the spray will sit on the skin and work its magic!
    He said the its turned into an ulcer (3 small ones actually). Does'nt feel it's food related as she's concentrating on one area. If this doesn't work next step will be to take a biopsy.
    He said put the cone on her for 20 mins after the area is sprayed and she should have no interest in licking it.
    Hopefully our Cone days will be over very soon and I go back to having a happy pooch again!

How often and for how long does she spend doing it?
    Had she any injury, no matter how small, in that area, such as a thorn or a sting? Or any injury or problem in another part of her body, remembering that referred pain can cause licking of one part of the body even though the pain is elsewhere, often a spot the dog can't reach, so they lick anywhere just so that they can at least get some comfort from the licking action. You also have the possibility that any cause of the licking has gone now, but the almost hypnotic, endorphin-releasing action of licking continues as a habit, often re-injuring the skin, causing more licking, and so the cycle continues.
    And how much do you trust your vet? You've a big problem in that you need to find the cause... Stopping the licking is merely stopping the dog showing a symptom that there's an underlying problem. X-ray have shown nothing, but has a skin scrape been done? Or a biopsy taken? Did the vet check the full leg and spine when x-raying to make sure there isn't a problem further up (cf the referred pain I mentioned earlier). To me, these all must be done to try to find out what's going on, because putting Vicks on her, and inflatable collars are not a long-term option. Can you imagine having an itch that won't go away and you can't scratch it?
    Also, what breed of terrier is she, or what mix do you think is in her if she's not a purebred?

Thank you for your lengthy reply. Some very good points there. There was never an injury that I noticed, but that's not to say she didn't get a bit or scrap from something. When xray was done, they looked at the paw and her abdomen, as she was brought back in due to vomiting for 3 days solid. Everything came back clear.
    I agree, its not the solution putting anti lick products on it, Im more eager to find out whats causing it. When the vet shaved her paw this evening it the irritation was very visible. Poor thing must be so irritated by it.
    Shes a mix breed, lucky dip, bit of everything in her, but def a jack russel and maybe a splash of pom. She's really a beauty and I'm so eager to get this sorted.
    She seems to have some relief since back from vet, she's happy out playing with her brother.
    Thanks again for your reply. You made some very good points.

• Advertisement

The steroids will almost certainly bring her relief, and pretty quickly too. Hopefully, hopefully, this will stop her from licking, allowing the skin to heal, stopping the cycle.
    I like Dubl07's suggestion to use coconut oil too, both in her food and on the skin too... It's marvellous stuff!
    I asked about her breed as some terrier breeds are terribly prone to skin problems, other prone to obsessive behaviours, but JRTs (and Poms! I know... Not a terrier!) aren't particularly prone in the big scheme of things.
    Keep us posted, hopefully that's the beginning of the end of it now!

The steroids will almost certainly bring her relief, and pretty quickly too. Hopefully, hopefully, this will stop her from licking, allowing the skin to heal, stopping the cycle.
    I like Dubl07's suggestion to use coconut oil too, both in her food and on the skin too... It's marvellous stuff!
    I asked about her breed as some terrier breeds are terribly prone to skin problems, other prone to obsessive behaviours, but JRTs (and Poms! I know... Not a terrier!) aren't particularly prone in the big scheme of things.
    Keep us posted, hopefully that's the beginning of the end of it now!

When you say coconut oil, I have a big jar of the organic stuff for cooking, is that the stuff? Also, I would have thought putting it on her skin would cause her to lick it even more, seens as it's tasty?
    Will def keep ye posted, so far, I think she's gotten relief from the injection as she's been hyper and playing like a lunatic. It's been so long since I saw her behave like this, brought a big smile to my face! Onwards and upwards....hopefully

Yes, just bog standard coconut oil!
    I think it soaks in fairly quickly, so just massage a wee bit in.. But wait until it has healed up first.
    In the meantime, put some in her food. Oily fish like sardines are great to bring down inflammation and promote healing of the skin.

So update on the "Paw licking" saga

There has been a huge improvement on the ulcers, they have healed a good bit, She's finished her steroids and still on antibiotics for another week and still using the spray daily. I am wondering would there be any harm if I was to use the spray twice as opposed to once.......I will check this with vet at her next visit next week. She is still licking it from once the cone is off. I'm suspecting it may be out of habit as we were away for a few days with her and she didn't bother with it. Back since yesterday and she's more drawn to it now. Cone will have to be used for a while yet as any amount of licking will have us back to square one in no time.
    So over all, a big improvement in the sores but I wouldn't be too hopeful if not using the cone.
    Another thing that has been happening, shes been getting sick, not every day, maybe every second day. Her food is coming right up, 6-12 hours after eating, she doesn't seem to be digesting it as the nuts are still visable. Shes quite a gulper so I bought one of those bowls that has the obstacles in it to slow her down. Her form is great so shes not under the weather
    Any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭cmssjone

Can I ask what you are feeding her?

cmssjone wrote: »
    Can I ask what you are feeding her?

She's on Burns Chicken Rice, has been since a pup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭cmssjone

She's on Burns Chicken Rice, has been since a pup

The reason I ask is that we had our dog on Orijen and then moved him to a food with less protein in it. He suddenly developed hotspots and wouldn't stop licking his paw. When we put him back onto the high protein food he immediately improved and he has not had any problems since. Seeing as she has been on the same food since she was a pup, this probably isn't the issue but might be something to consider.

Advertisement