Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap smartphone for 11 year old

Options
  • 13-12-2015 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

Where can I get a cheap smartphone for my daughter? She has an ipad so just for contacting her and maybe viber her friends. I want sim free so I can sign up on 48 or similar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It depends on your budget OP, smartphones usually start about €40 for a very low budget one that is just about useful for calls and messaging, but you might want to budget a bit higher for a bigger screen or a better camera. You'll still get a decent spec smartphone for less than €100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

For a child id be considering a firefly €40
    Gsm solutions.ie/shop/mobile-phones/400-firefly-mobile-phone-for-kids.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

An Alcatel model?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Cowboys...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Geoffrey Dalton

Cowboys...

Do they sell horses?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Cowboys...

I just pasted a link for info. There are other sellers

The OP's daughter won't be able to use Viber on that though, and she has an iPad already. I really don't know what the purpose of that phone is for an 11 year old, and at €40 it's quite expensive for what it does, when a basic Android phone for €40 would fulfil the OP's requirements.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Geoffrey Dalton

The OP's daughter won't be able to use Viber on that though, and she has an iPad already. QUOTE]

11 year old with an Ipad, well holy god.

11 year old with an Ipad, well holy god.

:D

Tablets are a popular educational and productivity tool for children now, not just a toy for adults any more :p

I don't like tablets myself, but my child has had both a smartphone and a tablet since he was six, and he's 11 now, gets great educational and entertainment value out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Seeing as it doesn't look like anyone else is going to give you an answer. Get her this https://store.meteor.ie/phones/pay-as-you-go-phones/huawei-y6 and get it unlocked from either here or here. Even if you don't get it unlocked a €10 top up will get you 7.5gb data on meteor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

Had a few cheap Alcatel phones. The were all around €60-€70. The Spop 3 I used to use was a dream, 1GB Ram, decent sized screen and good on battery. Nifty little thing! I'd prefer most of the Alcatels I had over my current expensive Sony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Padster90s wrote: »
    Had a few cheap Alcatel phones. The were all around €60-€70. The Spop 3 I used to use was a dream, 1GB Ram, decent sized screen and good on battery. Nifty little thing! I'd prefer most of the Alcatels I had over my current expensive Sony.

Im tempted to replace a not so expensive Sony with an Alcatel myself, I suggested them to the Op as they seem to cost less, no idea what they are like though?
    spop3??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

As you're looking at a SIM free phone, try argos.ie they have lots of unlocked Android devices for less than €100 and you'll be able to select the network you want. Or you could try eBay, although the sterling Euro rate is making buying in the UK expensive.

Also, avoid GSM solutions like other poster's have recommended. They are cowboys.. Unsure why someone posted about selling horses, cowboys don't sell horses?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Do they sell horses?

No they shoot indians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

blackberry bold 9700? will be 20 euro or so ? :P

Advertisement