Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog fostering

Options
  • 13-12-2015 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here any experience in fostering dogs,its something i would be interested in but just wanted advice on who to contact about it,im not even sure if it can be done in Waterford but hopefully someone here knows :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭minibear

You could contact Deise Animal Sanctuary. I'm sure they could help you with information.

https://www.facebook.com/Deise-Animal-Sanctuary-163763116996140/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭da6xsi

the crowd above are brilliant should definitely call into them for a chat and they will give advice based on your household what kind of dog would suit best

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sheepo

You can also foster for Cara Rescue Dogs they are based in Laois but have fosters all around the east of the country. You should be able to get in touch through their Facebook page.

Very professional and caring and have a great support network when you are new to fostering. And they are absolutely out the door with dogs, especially at this time of year.

You can also foster for Cara Rescue Dogs they are based in Laois but have fosters all around the east of the country. You should be able to get in touch through their Facebook page.

Very professional and caring and have a great support network when you are new to fostering. And they are absolutely out the door with dogs, especially at this time of year.

Just to tell you a little bit about fostering:
    We'd usually foster for about 5-6 weeks, it all depends on what condition the dog is in when we take them. We had a Japanese Akita pup for around 9 weeks cos we couldn't find anyone to take him, and my girlfriend's family eventually took him.
    You do whatever is needed to nurse them back to health, generally the rescue will pay for food, vet visits etc. It is also usually compulsory that the dog is spayed or neutered before being rehomed and that is paid for also.
    You would ideally be crate & lead training your foster dog before they go to their forever home too, but it all depends on the individual dog. You could be taking a few-days old litter of pups dumped outside a halting site, or an old dog whose owner has died and just needs to find a forever home to retire to. Equally the dog could have been badly mistreated/straying for a long time, or could be a family pet treated fine and suddenly dumped. You will always have the option to say no to a dog that doesn't suit your particular circumstances.

The rescue will generally complete a home-check to make sure your house is suitable, they're really just checking that you have a secure backyard, that's the most important thing.

If you have any other questions fire away, it's my girlfriend who does the fostering really, I just happen to live in the house so I'll try answer as best I can!

You can also foster for Cara Rescue Dogs they are based in Laois but have fosters all around the east of the country. You might be a bit far away but you should be able to get in touch through their Facebook page.

Just to tell you a little bit about fostering:
    We'd usually foster for about 5-6 weeks, it all depends on what condition the dog is in when we take them. We had a Japanese Akita pup for around 9 weeks cos we couldn't find anyone to take him, and my girlfriend's family eventually took him.
    You do whatever is needed to nurse them back to health, generally the rescue will pay for food, vet visits etc. It is also usually compulsory that the dog is spayed or neutered before being rehomed and that is paid for also.
    You would ideally be crate & lead training your foster dog before they go to their forever home too, but it all depends on the individual dog. You could be taking a few-days old litter of pups dumped outside a halting site, or an old dog whose owner has died and just needs to find a forever home to retire to. Equally the dog could have been badly mistreated/straying for a long time, or could be a family pet treated fine and suddenly dumped. You will always have the option to say no to a dog that doesn't suit your particular circumstances.

The rescue will generally complete a home-check to make sure your house is suitable, they're really just checking that you have a secure backyard, that's the most important thing.

If you have any other questions fire away, it's my girlfriend who does the fostering really, I just happen to live in the house so I'll try answer as best I can!

• Advertisement

Oh god, apologies mods, for all the posts, I was just trying to edit and add extra info but it's adding new posts instead. My bad. Work away and delete the first two. Thanks

Advertisement