Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self catering in Cork with young kids?

Options
  • 13-12-2015 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Planning next summers holidays already....I know its a bit early but need something to look forward to! Did a bit of a 3 day tour of Cork,mostly West Cork, about 6 years ago and always said we'd like to go back for longer. But this time we'll have a 3 year old and a 1 year old. So we're interested in self catering but just looking for ideas were to base ourselves. Could be Cork city or just outside it or some of the smaller towns e.g Kinsale,Cobh,Youghal,Clonakilty. Dont want to be out in the countryside,ideally we'd like to be within walking distance or short car journey into shops,pubs,restaurants,playgrounds,kids activities,beaches(if weather good!).
    Clonakilty was lovely the last time we went there so its appealing to me.However our 3 year old loves swimming and the pool in The Quality hotel is not open to the public,only members and guests. And its over €1000 to stay there for a week in July which we simply cant afford. Nearest pool seems to be Rosscarbery.
    So just looking for advice from Cork boardsies-where would you recommend that may suit us?Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

toby2111 wrote: »
    Planning next summers holidays already....I know its a bit early but need something to look forward to! Did a bit of a 3 day tour of Cork,mostly West Cork, about 6 years ago and always said we'd like to go back for longer. But this time we'll have a 3 year old and a 1 year old. So we're interested in self catering but just looking for ideas were to base ourselves. Could be Cork city or just outside it or some of the smaller towns e.g Kinsale,Cobh,Youghal,Clonakilty. Dont want to be out in the countryside,ideally we'd like to be within walking distance or short car journey into shops,pubs,restaurants,playgrounds,kids activities,beaches(if weather good!).
    Clonakilty was lovely the last time we went there so its appealing to me.However our 3 year old loves swimming and the pool in The Quality hotel is not open to the public,only members and guests. And its over €1000 to stay there for a week in July which we simply cant afford. Nearest pool seems to be Rosscarbery.
    So just looking for advice from Cork boardsies-where would you recommend that may suit us?Thanks

The Quality Hotel in Youghal is right on the beach and has lovely self catering units. Great facilities for kids.

Closer to Cork, and more luxurious is Castlemartyr Resort with lovely holiday homes on site. About 10 minute drive to Garryvoe beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Thanks for that but both places are over €1000 a week and I just can't afford that. Hoping to get a house/ holiday home through daft.ie or donedeal or sites similar to them. Friends of mine got self catering places in other parts of Ireland using these and they seem better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Thanks for that but both places are over €1000 a week and I just can't afford that

Thats madness. We went to portugal the last 2 years in may and june for 10 and 11 nights and flights and self catering in really nice apartments came to €1200 the first year for 2 adults, 1 child and a baby and the 2nd year was €1150 for 2 adults and 2 kids. We had 2 bags checked in both times too.
    I know july will cost more but the prices Irish places charge is a bit off putting and half the reason people book flights and get out of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Would you go camping or rent a mobile home maybe....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Thanks for that but both places are over €1000 a week and I just can't afford that. Hoping to get a house/ holiday home through daft.ie or donedeal or sites similar to them. Friends of mine got self catering places in other parts of Ireland using these and they seem better value.

That's mental!!

Check the Supervalu Getaway Breaks. I think self catering for a week in the summer is around €500. If I'm not mistaken, the Quality in Youghal is included.

• Advertisement

Clonakilty has a few nice spots. I know I looked at one that is down by the beach there, had a pizza oven out the back in all and we rented one in the town also before for a weekend and it was cheap. I can find them again if you like

This was one place http://www.clonamarketing.com/allproperties.php
    Twas the one on McCurtain hill we rented and it was perfect, but a drive to beaches etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭maryfred

Milly33 wrote: »
    Clonakilty has a few nice spots. I know I looked at one that is down by the beach there, had a pizza oven out the back in all and we rented one in the town also before for a weekend and it was cheap. I can find them again if you like

Hijacking the thread a bit but Milly could you post up the details if you wouldn't mind. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,352 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Try Carlton holiday villas.
    Also there is a pool with a big slide out in claycastle.

That's mental!!

Check the Supervalu Getaway Breaks. I think self catering for a week in the summer is around €500. If I'm not mistaken, the Quality in Youghal is included.
    Just checked,the only paces in Cork it has available for our dates are in Bantry and Durrus.

• Advertisement

Milly33 wrote: »
    This was one place http://www.clonamarketing.com/allproperties.php
    Twas the one on McCurtain hill we rented and it was perfect, but a drive to beaches etc.
    Thanks,just checked that site out. Place you stayed is €800 but theres a few others I'll check out later.

I cant seem to find the place with the pizza oven but I will look better later.... there are lots of places on daft http://www.daft.ie/cork/holiday-homes/clonakilty/?offset=30

Advertisement