Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 not allowing metered connection setting for dongle?

• 13-12-2015 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem and knows how to solve it. Operating system was recently upgraded to windows 10, but the only internet access I have is through a dongle, which has low limits on data usage (500 mb/ day when i buy it a few days a month). Yesterday I burned through 2 days worth of usage in about 3 hours, because the computer refused to stop downloading windows updates.... Ive searched on the internet and understand you can set it to metered connection, but it doesnt give me that option for the dongle, because the dongle doesnt show up under the wifi networks i guess. when you click on advanced options under internet, for where metered connection should be, there is no options at all. Ive also made sure that the "attached devices" is set to metered connection, but this makes no difference, it just keeps burning through the data allowance and updating. Anyone? :/

Also, since upgrading to windows 10, the eco mode on my samsung laser printer no longer works (worked fine in windows 8) nor is there a draft option. i spent 3 hours on the phone with samsung the other day, only to have them add and delete software a bunch of times before telling me its not their problem, its a windows 10 problem, and theres noting they can do about it.... ? any ideas

Thanks much!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭Cactusmania

Hi westkryveggirl,

You can turn off windows update until you want to use it, and then turn off again.
    To do this, click the search button(beside start menu), type services and click on the 'Services' desktop app that appears.
    Locate 'Windows Update', right click and select disabled. Now it will not update until you enable it again.

You say that you use a dongle for broadband. There is a WiFi device you can buy from the different mobile operators e.g. Three, Meteor etc. They are usually called 'MiFi'. You simply put your sim card into the device and you can connect to things like tablet, smartphone. With this, the metered connection option will work perfectly.

Good luck

Advertisement